FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 18 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Beefcake, WesJones, simonajones111, BUJU, Pilsungkarate
22931 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
futsaowingchun 2
charlie 2
simonajones111 1
GojuRyuboy13 1
harlan 1
November
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
New Topics
unrecognized kata
by William_Bent
11/19/14 07:05 PM
Siu Lin Tao-3rd section applications
by futsaowingchun
11/13/14 06:48 PM
Screen fighting course UK December 2014
by charlie
11/11/14 04:09 PM
Siu Lin Tao-1st section Pak Sao explanations
by futsaowingchun
11/09/14 10:30 PM
I spy kata bunkai..
by GojuRyuboy13
10/29/14 08:28 AM
Judo 2014 World Championships Juniors: The Gallery
by ergees
10/25/14 04:53 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
MA style video library
by
03/22/06 03:18 PM
Recent Posts
unrecognized kata
by William_Bent
11/19/14 07:05 PM
Siu Lin Tao-3rd section applications
by futsaowingchun
11/13/14 06:48 PM
Screen fighting course UK December 2014
by charlie
11/11/14 04:09 PM
MA style video library
by charlie
11/11/14 04:05 PM
Siu Lin Tao-1st section Pak Sao explanations
by futsaowingchun
11/09/14 10:30 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/29/14 10:01 PM
I spy kata bunkai..
by GojuRyuboy13
10/29/14 08:28 AM
Judo 2014 World Championships Juniors: The Gallery
by ergees
10/25/14 04:53 PM
Forum Stats
22931 Members
36 Forums
35588 Topics
432519 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#103588 - 04/28/05 09:53 AM Re: Fight statistics
JKogas Offline
Prolific

Loc: North Carolina
Don't be a statistic -- learn your ground fighting [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/wink.gif[/IMG].

Any fight that lasts more than 2-5 seconds will likely hit the clinch. When people fight in the clinch, they usually (unless they're highly trained, particularly in wrestling) lack the footwork necessary to keep standing. All you need to do is the pummel/swim drill at a decent enough level of intensity to see this for yourselves (that drill by the way, is a GREAT method of developing your footwork for the clinch).

Real fights will almost always hit the clinch. I've seen that happen continuously over the years. After a few seconds in the clinch, one or both will usually fall to the ground, intended or not.

-John

#103589 - 04/28/05 10:21 AM Re: Fight statistics
Anonymous
Unregistered

I find that most fights that last more 10-15 seconds either both fighters are skilled or hit like sissys unskilled. Usually after a few exchanges they just quit the unskilled.

The times when I fought a skilled person the fight can last for minutes, after a few unsuccessful or trading of blows you realize what you got and you have to put it together right. Sometimes you walk away with your wounds and acknowledgement that if it contiunes somebodies going get hurt bad. Some
times one us do.

The last time I grappled with a guy was a drunk assoicated that was just released from prison all muscled up, he knew I was an ex-cop and wanted to fight (I didn't send him to jail, but he built up some hatered for authority), he charged me cursing and swing saying how he hate cops. I weaved and countered with stuning hands strikes ending with elbow and knee. Then took him down (he was done for after the strikes, I didn't want to hurt him anymore) so I rolled him into and armbar. After I let him up he acted sobber hold his elbow, saying "Man damn you almost broke my arm". I said yeah aren't you lucky.

My other assoicate got in between us and told him man "You should have knew better then that".

I didn't have to go to the ground I could have just let him fall.

#103590 - 04/28/05 10:25 AM Re: Fight statistics
cxt Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: USA
Part of the problem here is that people's personal experiences tend to be very different.

Some guys have had almost every fight they have seen go the ground--some guys have seen multiple fights that only lasted a few sec's--and no-one went to the ground.

So people's individual perspectives start off very different.

The other problem is that when people talk about what that have "seen" is the MOST fights they have "seen" were not trained fighters vs trained fighters.
They are usually seeing "joe average"
(or a tough guy looking to beat up "joe average")
And "joe" is seldom a good model to base what would happen if guys with training "would/would not do" around.

("joe" has no training---thus using him as a example will give a false or less than correct impression.)

Many fights break out in bars/places like that--and people in bars are often drinking--which also jacks with your fighting abilty.

You also have to take into account the actual INTENT of most fights.
One of my favorite quotes--I DO NOT RECALL WHERE I HEARD IT--SORRY.
is:

"Criminals are not looking for "fights" they are looking for "victems."

So I draw a distinction between a "fight" and an "attack."
May be wrong with that--but I do think there is a real distinction between them.

Just some long winded stuff to keep in mind--not that anyone wasn't.

[This message has been edited by cxt (edited 04-28-2005).]

#103591 - 04/28/05 12:50 PM Re: Fight statistics
Anonymous
Unregistered

CXT wrote - "Criminals are not looking for "fights" they are looking for "victems."

So I draw a distinction between a "fight" and an "attack."
May be wrong with that--but I do think there is a real distinction between them.

My reply - I'd have to agree with you here a fight and a attack are different, and attack is what happens in an fight.

After I'm assaulted though I call it counter, (being Politically correct) but I will attack to finish a guy, all alone telling him I don't or didn't want to fight, while kicking him in the balls after a solid right hand. An attack is an offensive movement, as you well know.

But I think we are splitting hairs here, having to defend yourself is a fight weather its an unskilled guy or a skilled fighter?
If he attacks us he gets full barrels until, he no longer a threat.

If he orders sh%$, he eats sh%$.

U don't know hows a real threat he is until you in the middle of conflict.

A skilled fighter doesn't have to be trained in a school he could be from the street/school of hard knocks, he knows how to cheat and win.

We shouldn't even try to ask why it happened? Until we are writing our memoirs and philosophies, human nature breeds violence its been that way enos, when it happens we should just respond to it.

Defining each step/method, ask why and quailfying it should be done later, like we are doing now.

I don't think that was the point you were making but I took it for what I thought you meant. There some truth in your each person view of what a fight is diffferent, based on experience. I think even the (sissy in technique gotta be PC) guys I spoke of thought they were fighting and were to the best of their ability.

#103592 - 04/28/05 01:04 PM Re: Fight statistics
Anonymous
Unregistered

It's been calculated that 50% of all statistics are only 25% accurate...the other half is full of crap but eisier to understand and so is 75% more likely to be believed by the general public.

#103593 - 04/28/05 05:49 PM Re: Fight statistics
Anonymous
Unregistered

Like stated, it's easy to skew numbers, so you can't always take them at face value.

If we assume that half the population of the world is male, and half the population is female, then it can be said that the average human has one testicle...:P

[This message has been edited by traz (edited 04-28-2005).]

#103594 - 04/28/05 06:13 PM Re: Fight statistics
Anonymous
Unregistered

4 out of 5 dentists recommend Crest.

#103595 - 04/29/05 01:07 AM Re: Fight statistics
Anonymous
Unregistered

What happened to the 5th dentist?

My fighting experience does support the fights only last a few seconds,mostly.

#103596 - 04/29/05 03:06 AM Re: Fight statistics
still wadowoman Offline
Improved beefier techno-prat

Loc: Residence:UK- Heart:Md, USA
8 out of 10 cat owneres say their cats prefer whiskas.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Cord, Dedicated1, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Stun Guns
Variety of stun gun devices for your protection

Buy Pepper Spray
Worry about your family when you’re not around? Visit us today to protect everything you value.

Koryu.com
Accurate information on the ancient martial traditions of the Japanese samurai

C2 Taser
Protect yourself and loved ones from CRIME with the latest C2 Taser citizen model. Very effective.

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga