FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 52 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Shanktotheright, royal, bobgalle100011, agenonline, TooNice
22862 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
THEFOREVERMAN 3
Galen 2
MattJ 2
Dobbersky 2
royal 2
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
New Topics
General perspective on training
by Galen
Today at 04:05 PM
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by Marcus Charles
03/24/14 04:39 PM
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by Dobbersky
03/20/14 05:45 AM
I am not often inspired
by Galen
01/13/14 07:28 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
AKK kata question
by
09/04/05 01:27 PM
Recent Posts
General perspective on training
by Galen
Today at 04:05 PM
I am not often inspired
by Galen
Today at 04:03 PM
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by Dobbersky
Today at 06:52 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:20 AM
AKK kata question
by MattJ
04/04/14 05:45 PM
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Forum Stats
22862 Members
36 Forums
35547 Topics
432379 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#103496 - 04/25/05 12:14 AM Other things to do while running?
Anonymous
Unregistered

With Sanchin's self-defense scenarios, as well as the general concensus of the forum as a whole, I'm sure not many if any will disagree that running is the best option if you find yourself in a hostile situation.

But, I happen to be a slow, pitiful runner, and if I got jumped tomorrow, my chances of actually running away from the attacker and not having him catch me are slim.

I would still run like hell of course, and the adrenaline pump might give me the nice little speed boost I need to make a clean getaway, but I'm not so sure. I would hate to run, and then get stabbed or clubbed in the back, only then realizing that I needed to do something extra to evade my attacker.

My question is, would running be the only thing you do when you answer these scenarios? Would you run in silence, and for how long, to where? Are there other things you would be doing as you ran from an attacker?

I personally would be shouting
"help" or "fire" while running like hell, and I would run to well lit, very public area as fast as possible.

It may seem like common sense, but I am wary of turning my back on an attacker to run like hell, and maybe the extra insurance or screaming, flapping arms, whatever would add to your chances of survival?

Hopefully your attacker is lazy and doesn't bother to chase you, but being the slow runner I am, are there other things I can do that might persuade my attacker that chasing me would not be in his best interests?

#103497 - 04/25/05 12:21 AM Re: Other things to do while running?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Good question. I would say do your best to draw attention,put obstacles between you and your attacker.Dail 911(if you have a phone)
Pepper spray will give you some distance also. While running by trashcans,push them over behind you. Go into public place.

#103498 - 04/25/05 12:26 AM Re: Other things to do while running?
nekogami13 V2.0 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Texas, USA
Yeah, I can only run short distances with any speed.
If they chase me any kind of distance, they will probably catch me.

Only hope is some kind of obstacles-I can corner really well.
Always have my cell phone, dialing 911 is good idea.

Running towards the light is a good idea(as long as it's not at the end of a tunnel)-light usualy means population.

Noise is always good.

[This message has been edited by nekogami13 V2.0 (edited 04-25-2005).]

#103499 - 04/25/05 01:07 AM Re: Other things to do while running?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I agree with Neko about noise. Maybe if you make a big enough racket and people start looking out their windows maybe teh baddies will back off. Light and population is a good place to run to as well.

However I once saw a TV doco on human behaviour where they did an experemant. They played a noise of a women yelling "help!" while they filled out a form. Only 2 of 10 went to the window to see what was happening. Most people just don't like trouble I guess.

[This message has been edited by JayJay (edited 04-25-2005).]

#103500 - 04/25/05 06:03 AM Re: Other things to do while running?
Anonymous
Unregistered

If you think your life is in danger, yell "bomb". In this day and age, that'll have the police on you in seconds. Hey, you might get a court case for disturbing the peace but at least you'll have saved your hide.

Train running (I don't atm but I plan to [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/tongue.gif[/IMG]). Maybe Parkour could come in handy: http://www.parkour.com/ http://www.urbanfreeflow.com/ http://perso.wanadoo.fr/ironic_networks/acme-index.htm

[This message has been edited by Leo_E_49 (edited 04-25-2005).]

#103501 - 04/25/05 07:37 AM Re: Other things to do while running?
Anonymous
Unregistered

a good way to get a headstart is possibly just stare over your assailents shoulder until he/she turns around..then try and have something in your hand (dirt off ground or similar) so when they turn round aim for the eyes..then take off and do what everyone else has suggested (yell loudly, knock things over, ect)

#103502 - 04/25/05 04:50 PM Re: Other things to do while running?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks all for your replies, some good suggestions.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by JayJay:
I agree with Neko about noise. Maybe if you make a big enough racket and people start looking out their windows maybe teh baddies will back off. Light and population is a good place to run to as well.

However I once saw a TV doco on human behaviour where they did an experemant. They played a noise of a women yelling "help!" while they filled out a form. Only 2 of 10 went to the window to see what was happening. Most people just don't like trouble I guess.

[This message has been edited by JayJay (edited 04-25-2005).]
[/QUOTE]

I think Leo hit the mark when he said yell "bomb" as opposed to anything else. I remember learning about Kitty Genovese, New Yorker stabbed 30 times, whose screams were heard by lots of neighbors, none of which called the police. I hate the mob mentality...

Psychologically I learned you are more likely to be helped by bystanders if there is only 1 around than if you are in the middle of a large group. Experiments were done where 1 assistant was "attacked" by another in front of a market or store, with lots of people around. Assistant #1 yelled for help, and didn't get it most of the time, or got it after a ridiculously prolonged period of time. Another experiment was done in a secluded area, with only 1 or 2 passersby to witness the "attack" and helped the "defender".

Idea being that people in a group won't normally help because they believe someone else will do it for them, whereas the solo bystander knows he's it.

Jeesh, psych class has made me skeptical and slightly paranoid, joy...ah well, take the bad with the good.

#103503 - 04/25/05 05:07 PM Re: Other things to do while running?
nekogami13 V2.0 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Texas, USA
Standard advise I have heard is yell "fire"-though in today's climate "bomb" would be very effective.

#103504 - 04/26/05 08:21 PM Re: Other things to do while running?
Anonymous
Unregistered

when your running and one comes too close for your comfort stop whirl around with a backhand fist fully outsretched, like a swinging a club, the idea of this is to make them back off a bit because they'll be running into a fist if they don't, if you amke contact it's a bonus really, if you don't you can either spring the fist back and run or follow through and do the full spin and run, I usually spring the fist back as it's faster for me

make sure you're running at full speed for max effect

of course, if you want you can always run as hard as possible, stop instantly when they're running faster then you, and proceed to attack them, the reversal from complete offense to needed defense and their momentum will make it hard for them to defend, they'll be able to crash into you and that's it really, so for your attack I would choose some sort of explosive and very powerful kick or punch/body check movement

another way to get away decently is to look like a stalker, bow yourself down, and wait, as if hunting the attacker, circle it a little bit and stuff, once there's extra distance between you and them/him/her, you'll have that little extra space, back off a little, you can walk off facing them, a little, be upright, if they still attack, the running parts described above can be done [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG], this is a way to put space between you and them using mental techniques

[This message has been edited by rockleewannabe (edited 04-26-2005).]

#103505 - 04/26/05 08:43 PM Re: Other things to do while running?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I agree with run, hit and run tactic.
It worked once in my own experience.
I had seven skinheads on my back, but only two of them were persistent.

So I turned and they stopped the attack and just waited for their buddies to come closer.

During that time I made some distance between us and that was enough for me to get away safely.

Although I did slip on the wet floor and got a few bumps on my back during my "escape".

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Cord, Dedicated1, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Fight Videos
Night club fight footage and street fights captured with the world's first bouncer spy cam

How to Matrix!
Learn ten times faster with new training method. Learn entire arts for as little as $10 per disk.

Self Defense
Stun guns, pepper spray, Mace and self defense products. Alarms for personal and home use.

TASER MC26C
Stop An Urban Gorilla: Get 2 FREE TASER M26C Replacement Air Cartridges With Each New TASER M26C!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga