FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 40 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
AndyLA, danacohenn, ksusanc, kellypnik123, leyinn
22904 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 15
cxt 7
trevek 6
JKogas 5
futsaowingchun 3
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
Applied center line theory
by futsaowingchun
07/28/14 08:55 AM
centerline concepts
by futsaowingchun
07/14/14 10:49 PM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/11/14 03:36 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
12/30/13 08:32 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Prizewriter
04/16/12 02:48 PM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
04/12/12 11:16 AM
Throwing
by
04/23/05 10:58 PM
Recent Posts
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
Today at 12:04 PM
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Dobbersky
07/29/14 05:11 AM
Applied center line theory
by futsaowingchun
07/28/14 08:55 AM
centerline concepts
by futsaowingchun
07/28/14 08:53 AM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/14/14 04:50 PM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:35 AM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
07/09/14 06:13 AM
Throwing
by JKogas
07/03/14 07:40 PM
Forum Stats
22904 Members
36 Forums
35564 Topics
432456 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#103080 - 04/20/05 03:48 PM Re: carrying pepper spray around
Anonymous
Unregistered

[QUOTE]Originally posted by SANCHIN31:

This is just bad advice alltogether!!
[/QUOTE]

Its not advice, its my opinion.

And anyway, just because i am walking at night, i m not going to be walking around with my pepper spray in hand.
Most people (ladies) have it in their hand bag, and if i was a thief i would get there before they would.

I was just saying that faced with the choice of carrying a defensive weapon, I could use the short blade more effectively than pepper spray.

Let me ask you a question SANCHIN,
Do you think that as a defensive weapon, what would be more effective in a fight (not multiple opponents) your MA skills or pepper spray.
I am sure that with your experience as a martial artist, you could take someone out faster and more effectively than pepper spray.
Thats what i was trying to say. Not "that my techniques are cool and the best" just that they are better than a pepper spray.

Of course i am assuming that the guy is untrained and that he is not carrying a weapon himself.
If he was carrying a weapon i would use the ultra-secret flying-stool-to-the-head technique.
Or the deadly run-till-my-legs-drop technique

#103081 - 04/20/05 04:05 PM Re: carrying pepper spray around
Anonymous
Unregistered

And anyway, just because i am walking at night, i m not going to be walking around with my pepper spray in hand.

Why not? You should.

I was just saying that faced with the choice of carrying a defensive weapon, I could use the short blade more effectively than pepper spray.

If you're already involved in the fight yes.
I am opposed to stabbing unarmed people.

Let me ask you a question SANCHIN,
Do you think that as a defensive weapon, what would be more effective in a fight (not multiple opponents) your MA skills or pepper spray.

In a fight my skills,before the fight pepper spray.

I am sure that with your experience as a martial artist, you could take someone out faster and more effectively than pepper spray.

Yes

Thats what i was trying to say. Not that my techniques are cool and the best just that they are better than a pepper spray.

It's just an alternative not a replacement.

Of course i am assuming that the guy is untrained and that he is not carrying a weapon himself.
If he was carrying a weapon i would use the ultra-secret flying-stool-to-the-head technique.
Or the deadly run-till-my-legs-drop technique

Now that's a good strategy!! [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG]

#103082 - 04/20/05 04:08 PM Re: carrying pepper spray around
Anonymous
Unregistered

[QUOTE]Originally posted by SANCHIN31:

"Let me ask you a question SANCHIN,
Do you think that as a defensive weapon, what would be more effective in a fight (not multiple opponents) your MA skills or pepper spray."

In a fight my skills,before the fight pepper spray.

[/QUOTE]

Point taken.
I would have to agree there

Damn that hurt! [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG]

#103083 - 04/20/05 04:24 PM Re: carrying pepper spray around
JKogas Offline
Prolific

Loc: North Carolina
Everything weapon-wise has it's pros and cons. Pepper spray can take some time before the effects are felt. This delayed response is something that many average people won't be prepared for.

That said, police USE pepper spray for a reason. Many of them find that it can and does work. Some people have died after having been sprayed with it.

-John

#103084 - 04/20/05 11:36 PM Re: carrying pepper spray around
Anonymous
Unregistered

unfortunarely pepper spray is illegal where i come from as ive just found it [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/frown.gif[/IMG]

#103085 - 04/21/05 07:55 AM Re: carrying pepper spray around
still wadowoman Offline
Improved beefier techno-prat

Loc: Residence:UK- Heart:Md, USA
If pepper spray is illegal in your country, a good substitute is lemon juice (the one that comes in the squeezy plastic lemon shaped container). It won't affect breathing like pepper sprray, but it stings the eyes, the attacker won't know what it is and it COULD buy you a nanosecond or two.

It was suggested by Mark the Brit (love that handle) from these forums. Brilliant idea!
Sharon

#103086 - 04/21/05 09:39 AM Re: carrying pepper spray around
Anonymous
Unregistered

[QUOTE]Originally posted by still wadowoman:
If pepper spray is illegal in your country, a good substitute is lemon juice (Sharon[/QUOTE]

If we are going for homegrown stuff then the possibilities are endless.

Bleach,
Acid,
Chilli spray...

#103087 - 04/21/05 09:53 AM Re: carrying pepper spray around
Anonymous
Unregistered

[QUOTE]Originally posted by MAGr:
If we are going for homegrown stuff then the possibilities are endless.

Bleach,
Acid,
Chilli spray...

[/QUOTE]

I can see, chili spray, but bleach and acid would be crosing the line. Those can cause serious permanent injuries, whereas pepper spray or lemon juice would not. Carry around a vial of bleach to use and you'll be going to court in no time, no matter what they tried on you.

What about grapefruit juice, that stuff sucks in the eyes.

Joel

#103088 - 04/21/05 05:58 PM Re: carrying pepper spray around
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well I gota say that pepper spray (not always affective) is good if you want to still talk to the guy and ask them why is it that you had to spray them. But to tell you the truth is that if you are in the possision to use pepper spray it can be a bigger mistake taking it out and trying to use it (As seen in the previous replies) most people who are attacking you these days on the street have either received some or alot of training in combat. The best thing that can stop a trained attacked with nothing but causing serious bodily harm nothing come near my sig sauer p239. Two taps to the chest and one to the head will stop any confrintation. But im sure there are some of you out there that will say that I should stand and fight but if the situation calls for you to defend your life then legaly shooting them is your best option. And this is coming from a trained martial artist that enjoys nothing more than a good fight.

#103089 - 04/21/05 06:17 PM Re: carrying pepper spray around
Anonymous
Unregistered

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Rougewarrior:
to defend your life then legaly shooting them is your best option. And this is coming from a trained martial artist that enjoys nothing more than a good fight.[/QUOTE]

I dont know where you are from, but in our part of the world carrying a gun is illegal, even for self defence.
And if it was legal then you would be damn sure that the attacker has one too.
Guns are not the answer, look at the state of the US (no offence to americans) but gun crime is off the scales!
Last week another shooting in school.
And you are supporting carrying guns?
Listen, i dont mean to be rude, but
you are absolutely, 100%, positively wrong about this.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Cord, Dedicated1, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Stun Guns
Variety of stun gun devices for your protection

Buy Pepper Spray
Worry about your family when you’re not around? Visit us today to protect everything you value.

Koryu.com
Accurate information on the ancient martial traditions of the Japanese samurai

C2 Taser
Protect yourself and loved ones from CRIME with the latest C2 Taser citizen model. Very effective.

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga