FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 28 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
BUJU, Pilsungkarate, ALF, old1, Leonar
22928 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Ronin1966 3
GojuRyuboy13 2
futsaowingchun 2
ergees 2
cxt 1
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
I spy kata bunkai..
by GojuRyuboy13
Yesterday at 08:28 AM
Judo 2014 World Championships Juniors: The Gallery
by ergees
10/25/14 04:53 PM
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
10/20/14 10:32 AM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
09/25/14 08:50 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by Leo_E_49
01/24/12 02:58 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by
05/13/07 08:02 AM
Recent Posts
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
Yesterday at 10:01 PM
I spy kata bunkai..
by GojuRyuboy13
Yesterday at 08:28 AM
Judo 2014 World Championships Juniors: The Gallery
by ergees
10/25/14 04:53 PM
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
10/22/14 07:20 AM
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
10/20/14 10:32 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by swordy
10/11/14 09:21 AM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Ronin1966
10/08/14 09:22 PM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by AndyLA
10/04/14 10:20 AM
Forum Stats
22928 Members
36 Forums
35584 Topics
432513 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#103070 - 04/20/05 09:15 AM carrying pepper spray around
Anonymous
Unregistered

how many people here carry around pepper spray?

is it less manly for a man to carry pepper spray?

#103071 - 04/20/05 09:28 AM Re: carrying pepper spray around
Anonymous
Unregistered

Its not about it being less manly. Pepper spray does not work for several reasons. (I am assuming you mean to use it against a trained person, otherwise there would be no point, you could just hit them.)

1. By the time you take it out of your pocket, bag, whatever it would be too late against someone trained.

2. They can shield their eyes, its not that hard to avoid it, just close your eyes and turn away.

3. You might cause no damage, or you can burn their eyes off. Not very consistent in intensity.

4. Why are you(general you not a personal you) learning MAs if you are planning on carrying something which was designed for people who cant defend themselves?

5. I would rather invest in a short blabe then pepper spray if i were to carry a weapon.

[This message has been edited by MAGr (edited 04-20-2005).]

#103072 - 04/20/05 09:32 AM Re: carrying pepper spray around
Anonymous
Unregistered

I carry a little kobotan like device with a pepper spray. i think that it is a pretty good, legal, edge for personal security. my wife has one, I have another device in the car, and 2 big blowers in the house.

it might not be manly, so what? that is totally irrelevant. it can solve my problem, and keep a situation from escalating into lethal violence.

#103073 - 04/20/05 09:48 AM Re: carrying pepper spray around
Anonymous
Unregistered

i get ur points magr

i know pepper spray wont get me out of everyhting, but i think it can be quite effective in most basic situations.

i saw a vid once where cops were getting beaten, they were both saved when one of the cops came back with pepper spray, so its not entirely useless

#103074 - 04/20/05 11:53 AM Re: carrying pepper spray around
xerxes Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Georgia, USA
Forget about silly concepts like whether you are acting in a "manly" way or not. Forget about machismo. Use whatever is useful and necessary(and legal) for defending yourself. You should not exclude any potential method simply because your adversary is or is not trained.

#103075 - 04/20/05 12:30 PM Re: carrying pepper spray around
Anonymous
Unregistered

1. By the time you take it out of your pocket, bag, whatever it would be too late against someone trained.

maybe, maybe not, I carry mine on my keys, and I find it hard to believe that somebody could get next to me faster than I could use it.

2. They can shield their eyes, its not that hard to avoid it, just close your eyes and turn away.

the trick is to use a mist - a product that puts out a cloud. you aren't only aiming for the eyes you are creating a cloud that, espectially when they are breathing hard, with burn when inhaled.

3. You might cause no damage, or you can burn their eyes off. Not very consistent in intensity.

go for quality and freshness

4. Why are you(general you not a personal you) learning MAs if you are planning on carrying something which was designed for people who cant defend themselves?

life isn't a game, what every gives you an edge, use.

5. I would rather invest in a short blabe then pepper spray if i were to carry a weapon.

that is smart, kill somebody, that is always a great way to start the week. a knife brings the conflict to a lethal stage. don't touch a knife unless you are ready to kill or be killed. all of these idiots who teach and train for non-lethal knfe techniques are just setting themselves up for disaster. don't use a knife, unless you are ready to kill or be killed, and all that entails.

[This message has been edited by MAGr (edited 04-20-2005).][/QUOTE]

#103076 - 04/20/05 01:02 PM Re: carrying pepper spray around
Anonymous
Unregistered

If someone is carrying a gun there is the 21 feet rule (i am not making it up) that i can reach you before you can shoot me from anywhere within that distance. So if i am 5 feet away i can hit a few times before you can withdraw your spray.

I only fight in self defence, therefore if i judged that the situation was serious enough that i would need to use a weapon, whether it be pepper spray or a knife, then i would use a knife because it is more effective and because i would not care about jail as long as i am alive.

The law in the UK is you are not allowed to carry a blade that is longer than 3 inches. So if i defended myself with a short blade i would stand a good chance in the fight and in the court.

I take your point though.
I dont carry any sort of weapon anyway.
Just my opinion on if i was going to.
I agree that if you bring aknife to a fight you are making it very serious, but i would only bring one if it was that serious in the first place.
Actually, no, i would probably run if i could.

#103077 - 04/20/05 03:20 PM Re: carrying pepper spray around
Anonymous
Unregistered

If you're in an area where you feel you might need it you should already have it out.

Pepper spray doesn't just affect the eyes it affects breathing as well.Turning away doesn't work in a cloud of mist.

I covered the eyes thing already. As far as intensity you're not looking to end a fight with it you just need he advantage to get out of the situation,pepper spray will allow you to do this.

I learn ma for self defense,not for the attitude that I don't need an edge cause of all my cool techniques.If they can't defend themselves,why are they robbing/attacking me??

This is just bad advice alltogether!!

#103078 - 04/20/05 03:28 PM Re: carrying pepper spray around
Anonymous
Unregistered

Pepper Spray or not to Pepper Spray?

Whatever you choose to do, have a plan and practice it. Also make sure that what if you do use it, you can deal with the affects yourself. OC powder/mist/foam has a nasty habit of cross contaminating. If you can't handle the stuff yourself, you might want to know that before using it in the street.

Also, timeliness is the most important factor in proper application. The best time to spray is often before the fight becomes physical (which may create some confusion and some legal concerns later, check your local statutes and ordinances on Use of Force & Self Defense). This is because a goal oriented attacker can and often will fight through the affects of OC. He might have trouble seeing clearly but will not likely be incapacitated.

#103079 - 04/20/05 03:46 PM Re: carrying pepper spray around
Anonymous
Unregistered

I was going to bring up the same thing Fletch1 did. Make sure you can handle what carrying for cross contamination and check your local statues, because one of you said you would rather invest in a good blade not smart thinking. That could send you jail faster then your attacker if they donít any weapons on them other than fist. But that is just Nevada law, I donít know about yours.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Cord, Dedicated1, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Self Defense
Offering stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and other self defense products not available in stores.

Pepper Spray
Online distributor of self defense supplies like videos, stun guns, Tasers and more.

Spy Cameras
Surveillance, Hidden Cameras, Nanny Cams, Digital Recorders, Spy Equipment, Pocket DVR's and more

Stun Gun
Wholesale Directlhy to the Public! Stun gun and Taser Guns and personal protection products. Keep your loved ones at home safe!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga