FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 28 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bartfast, ZapEm, AndyLA, danacohenn, ksusanc
22906 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 8
AndyLA 5
futsaowingchun 4
Ed_Morris 4
VDJ 2
August
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
New Topics
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
2013 World Championship Rio: The Gallery (HD)
by ergees
08/19/14 05:22 AM
Chi Sao demonstration
by futsaowingchun
08/14/14 10:57 PM
Decent Fight channel
by FrankyFruits
08/07/14 09:19 PM
2014 European Championships Cadets Athens: Videos
by ergees
08/07/14 10:00 AM
Life goes on....
by Dobbersky
08/07/14 05:59 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
Applied center line theory
by futsaowingchun
07/28/14 08:55 AM
centerline concepts
by futsaowingchun
07/14/14 10:49 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
Recent Posts
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Ed_Morris
Yesterday at 09:58 PM
The Karate punch
by Ed_Morris
Yesterday at 09:27 PM
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
2013 World Championship Rio: The Gallery (HD)
by ergees
08/19/14 05:22 AM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by VDJ
08/15/14 05:46 PM
Chi Sao demonstration
by futsaowingchun
08/14/14 10:57 PM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by Dobbersky
08/11/14 05:03 AM
Decent Fight channel
by FrankyFruits
08/07/14 09:19 PM
2014 European Championships Cadets Athens: Videos
by ergees
08/07/14 10:00 AM
Life goes on....
by Dobbersky
08/07/14 05:59 AM
Forum Stats
22906 Members
36 Forums
35571 Topics
432477 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#103027 - 04/19/05 08:41 PM intimidation as a valid form of self defense?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I read an interesting article on the Shaolin monks a while back, pertaining to their life and such. It went on to deal with their appearance in which it speculated that they dressed in a very unique way, bright colors, dramatic cuts, in order to be easily identified as Shaolin monks. This was not to be intended as a ‘hey, look at me’, but in itself a sort of deterrent to would-be-trouble-makers, stating that they were no one to mess with. This led me on to ponder on my fellows at the mma gym I train at, and their common appearance traits, such as the shaved head, the tattoos, and always wearing the ‘MMA, MAN ENOUGH?!’ shirts everywhere.
The question: could this in its own right, be a form of self defense? Self defense through intimidation? The shaved head and tats saying ‘I’m Hardcore’, the shirts reading “SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL BLOOD BANK, TRAIN FOR THE CAGE!”. Its all a billboard reading of your knowledge of ‘fighting’, which, in hopes, could deter would be troublemakers. Could there be something to this?

Thoughts and opinions?

#103028 - 04/19/05 08:53 PM Re: intimidation as a valid form of self defense?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Maybe...I am bald, big (sort of) and tattooed. But I always thought that it was my level-headed demeanor and "aw, forget it and let me buy you a beer" attitude that kept me out of trouble [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/biggrin.gif[/IMG].

Seriously, the "intimidation" factor may work for some, but I would not rely on it. Back about 13 yrs ago or so when I was an undergrad black belt and training 6 days a week, I was not shy about sharing my love of MA with others. This guy in my dorm saw this as a challenge to his masculinity (I must admit to not being so innocent back then - I did my fair share of macho posturing. If only I were wiser then, I could have avoided a few altercations. Live and learn, man, live and learn...).

Anyway, the fact that I lived and breathed MA did not stop him from challenging me to a fight about once a semester for a couple of years straight. These were stupid skirmishes, and I was lucky he never involved weapons or friends. The only reason these happened was because I "advertised" my MA training, and about begged people to test my skills.

In short, I think sometimes those who look and act "bad" often get tested more than those who try to fly under the radar. I'm not saying to look like a wimpy victim, but I don't believe in acting the tough guy anymore either.

Peace,
Mike

#103029 - 04/19/05 08:56 PM Re: intimidation as a valid form of self defense?
Shadowfax Offline

Loc: Mason City, IA
Eh, the problem is that it can go either way. I could walk around on the street with some sort of "black belts R Us" t-shirt on, and probably half the people would think "stay away from that guy."

But the other half would be thinking "Yeah? Bet I could kick HIS ass."

Speaking personally I prefer flying under the radar. I only start getting intimidating when it looks like its absolutely necessary.

#103030 - 04/19/05 09:00 PM Re: intimidation as a valid form of self defense?
kenposan Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Columbus, Ohio
I don't about the shirts and so on in terms of mma training, but intimidation is definately a method of self defense.

I am 6'2". Height has its advantages. :-)
I didn't realize this until one winter when I was wearing a long coat. A client of mine mentioned that other clients that didn't know me just called me the "guy in the long coat" and said it was very intimidating. That was not my intent but it demonstrated the point that intimidation can be self defense.

#103031 - 04/19/05 09:06 PM Re: intimidation as a valid form of self defense?
nekogami13 V2.0 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Texas, USA
I think it is a double edged sword.
Yes, some may be intimidated, but as stated above others may think I could take him-then start something.

Shaved head just makes sense in grappling. Long hair gets caught and pulled, flops in face, etc.

As for the tattoo thing-I think that is just the culturally accepted "in" thing now. That and piercing.

#103032 - 04/19/05 09:15 PM Re: intimidation as a valid form of self defense?
Anonymous
Unregistered

yes, agree agree. yes, size does add intimidation, wich adds some validity to the issue. also, could not a demonstration of skill once the altercation has started give the opponent some second thoughts? ie show him u know what you're doin? but like yall said, it could just add to the antagonization of their manhood.

ps: btw, i'm not lookin' to start being a bully to be Mr. Toughy McCoolguy, just so ya'll kno... just wondered ya'lls thoughts on the idea

[This message has been edited by kobra_kai (edited 04-19-2005).]

#103033 - 04/19/05 09:23 PM Re: intimidation as a valid form of self defense?
Anonymous
Unregistered

[QUOTE]Shaved head just makes sense in grappling. Long hair gets caught and pulled, flops in face, etc.

As for the tattoo thing-I think that is just the culturally accepted "in" thing now. That and piercing.[/QUOTE]

looks tough, though, right????

#103034 - 04/19/05 09:34 PM Re: intimidation as a valid form of self defense?
nekogami13 V2.0 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Texas, USA
I don't know, I'll go ask someone if my shaved head and single tat makes me look tough.

Somehow, I doubt it. [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/biggrin.gif[/IMG]

#103035 - 04/19/05 09:54 PM Re: intimidation as a valid form of self defense?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Where I grew up the standard philosiphy was that in a situation of altercation if you take out the biggest toughest guy in the group they would leave you alone, and 9 times out of 10 it worked. So the most intimidating guy was always the first target. I find confidence can be more intimidating than anything. As for the shaved head and tatoo/pierced they will be the ones bothered by the police the most so if you are clean cut you can get away with a little more.

I have tatoo's but I love my hair will never shave head. keep hair short enough you cant grab a hand full though. I have a jacket and shirt from my school I where them proudly and smartly, don't where them to a bar on Sat. night. Dont brag about your abilities I discus the arts lots but thats all.

Dan

#103036 - 04/19/05 09:56 PM Re: intimidation as a valid form of self defense?
Anonymous
Unregistered

the shoalin's shaved heads looked tough [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/frown.gif[/IMG]

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Cord, Dedicated1, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Ryukyu Art
Artifacts from the Ryukyu Kingdom missing since WWII. Visit www.ShisaLion.Org to view pictures

Best Stun Guns
Self Defense Products-stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and more

Surveillance 4U
Complete surveillance systems for covert operations or secure installation security

Asylum Images
Book presents photo tour of the Trans-Allegany Lunatic Asylum. A must if you're going to take a ghost tour!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga