FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 42 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TomRosenberg, jessylin, play, Keith_G, LeroyCFischer
22937 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
jwwmantis 2
Zombie Zero 1
harlan 1
Beefcake 1
LeroyCFischer 1
December
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
New Topics
2015 Master Yang Jwing-Ming Seminar
by jwwmantis
12/05/14 10:36 PM
unrecognized kata
by William_Bent
11/19/14 07:05 PM
I gained a lot of month in the last few months
by simonajones111
11/19/14 04:54 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
The Beginners Guide To Stretching
by
12/27/06 11:43 AM
Your true goal
by
03/03/06 07:16 AM
Recent Posts
Your true goal
by Beefcake
12/11/14 02:44 AM
The Beginners Guide To Stretching
by LeroyCFischer
12/04/14 02:07 AM
unrecognized kata
by William_Bent
11/19/14 07:05 PM
I gained a lot of month in the last few months
by simonajones111
11/19/14 04:54 AM
Forum Stats
22937 Members
36 Forums
35590 Topics
432525 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#102491 - 04/07/05 12:11 PM Self defense seminars
Anonymous
Unregistered

Do you think people benefit from these one time seminars? Will they be able to apply what they've been shown in such a short time? Do they do more harm than good?

#102492 - 04/07/05 12:24 PM Re: Self defense seminars
Anonymous
Unregistered

I dont like the idea personally. I feel it gives people a false sense of security. Ive been doing MA of about 4-5 years now (not long, I know) and its funny, though I thought I was the man at green belt in TKD, now Im not so sure of my self defense ability.

I feel to really understand MA in all its aspects, including violence and self defence, you have to stay the course and do it for a while before it to be even marginally useful. I think a little knowledge with no back up can do more harm than good. False self confidence is very dangerous. Maybe some simple tricks and common sense taught could be useful, but Im still wary. In my opinion, of course.

[This message has been edited by JayJay (edited 04-07-2005).]

#102493 - 04/07/05 12:51 PM Re: Self defense seminars
Anonymous
Unregistered

Half baked ideas are more dangerous than ignorance. At least an ignorant person will likely try to run away from a SD situation (the first thing I would do) but a half baked SD trainee might try to duke-it-out with their SD techniques just because they know them. Having the tools and not knowing when to use them is a recipe for disaster.

Perhaps a seminar on how to recognise, avoid and escape danger would be more useful. (With proper legal advice)

[This message has been edited by Leo_E_49 (edited 04-07-2005).]

#102494 - 04/07/05 12:59 PM Re: Self defense seminars
Anonymous
Unregistered

I agree with both of you.I've seen seminars marketed toward women that will teach them how to get hurt.
They show them how to use your knee and simple techniques like that. but if you are not in it for the long haul you will never be able to apply it in a real situation.

#102495 - 04/07/05 10:27 PM Re: Self defense seminars
Shadowfax Offline

Loc: Mason City, IA
Agreed. Just got a great example of that myself. I'm working with a woman from my office who's had some concerns about her safety. We've just started meeting to train. Her first "lesson" was just an introductory "here's some of the stuff you'll be learning in the coming months." She got really excited about that and did what almost all beginning MA students do - ran home to her boyfriend, told him to go after her, and she'd beat him up. Needless to say, she didn't do so well, but fortunately she's smart enough to realize that it's not the fighting system's fault- it's that she only had one 15 minute overview which wasn't enough for her to really learn anything.

I expect by this time next year she'll feel more confident - - hopefully confident enough not to need to beat up her boyfriend [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/biggrin.gif[/IMG]

#102496 - 04/08/05 06:06 AM Re: Self defense seminars
Anonymous
Unregistered

I regularly teach SD seminars as part of my role as Head of the Self-Defence Federation

the feed back I get is generally always positive..

however 50% of every seminar is devoted to the self-protection aspects of Avoidance Awareness, Escape etc..
the other 50% is devoted to the principles of Adapt, Apply and Create that are the basis of my teachings..

The adapt part is showing how to use whatever skills people may already have for street use..

rank beginners are taught more about avoidance and evasion..

however I usually finish a seminar with the advice that turning up today is only the introduction, and hopefully some or all that you learned will be included as regular part of your future training..

as I get at least a 90% return invitations from seminars .. maybe there is some value in what I teach?

#102497 - 04/08/05 06:14 AM Re: Self defense seminars
Anonymous
Unregistered

That's the kind of SD seminar I'd go to. (Although, perhaps splitting Avoidance Awareness, Escape and Adapt, Apply and Create in a 60:40 ratio would be more appropriate, most people tend to place an emphasis on physical responses to SD and imho a course should emphasise avoidance to counter this disposition)

#102498 - 04/08/05 06:20 AM Re: Self defense seminars
still wadowoman Offline
Improved beefier techno-prat

Loc: Residence:UK- Heart:Md, USA
I don't think there is anything wrong with self defence seminars.

If you attend one and incorporate what you have learnt into your training they can be a great learning experience.
Sharon

#102499 - 04/08/05 06:44 AM Re: Self defense seminars
Anonymous
Unregistered

For people who attend such seminars as a one time shot (also things such as training camp, monthlong tryout specials etc.) it is a waste of time. However, the one I attended was with Huk Planas, one of the highest ranking BB in American Kenpo, and what he covered was a technique that just about everyone on the matt should have known by then. For us, it was more indepth coverage of material and nothing so new we wouldn't be able to apply it right away.

#102500 - 04/08/05 07:46 AM Re: Self defense seminars
Shadowfax Offline

Loc: Mason City, IA
[QUOTE]Originally posted by still wadowoman:
I don't think there is anything wrong with self defence seminars.

If you attend one and incorporate what you have learnt into your training they can be a great learning experience.
Sharon

[/QUOTE]

There's a significant difference between seminars for martial artists who will take what is taught at the seminar and incorporate it into their training, and those seminars like the ones the cops put on from time to time that's 1 night of women's self defense.

Those seminars tend to attract people who get 2 hours of instruction and then leave thinking they're ready for anything. It's those kinds of seminars that do far more harm than good.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Cord, Dedicated1, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Stun Guns
Variety of stun gun devices for your protection

Buy Pepper Spray
Worry about your family when you’re not around? Visit us today to protect everything you value.

Koryu.com
Accurate information on the ancient martial traditions of the Japanese samurai

C2 Taser
Protect yourself and loved ones from CRIME with the latest C2 Taser citizen model. Very effective.

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga