FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 33 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
mohdnabeel, sunny, swordy, jerrybarry24, SenseiGregT
22915 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Matakiant 3
AndyLA 3
futsaowingchun 3
Victor Smith 1
ergees 1
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
Yesterday at 12:10 AM
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
09/25/14 08:50 AM
Wing Chun-internal training
by futsaowingchun
09/23/14 09:01 PM
Martial News
by Matakiant
09/23/14 06:42 AM
STX Kickboxing Seminar
by Marcus Charles
09/09/14 06:57 PM
Biu Tzu- 1st section applications
by futsaowingchun
09/05/14 10:56 PM
2014 World Championships Chelyabinsk: The Gallery
by ergees
09/01/14 03:51 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by
05/13/07 08:02 AM
Recent Posts
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
Yesterday at 12:10 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Victor Smith
09/28/14 07:11 PM
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
09/25/14 08:50 AM
Wing Chun-internal training
by futsaowingchun
09/23/14 09:01 PM
Martial News
by Matakiant
09/23/14 06:42 AM
attacked from behind
by AndyLA
09/19/14 09:05 AM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
09/18/14 06:07 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by Zombie Zero
09/16/14 04:43 PM
Eugue Ryu
by kolslaw
09/12/14 03:35 PM
Biu Tzu- 1st section applications
by futsaowingchun
09/05/14 10:56 PM
Forum Stats
22915 Members
36 Forums
35579 Topics
432500 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#101863 - 03/10/05 07:49 PM I need to decide: Jujutsu or Kenpo?
Anonymous
Unregistered

So I'm finally going to start studying martial arts, something I've been meaning to do all my life. I've done my research and had pretty much settled on Jujutsu being the form for me. Tonight while doing more research, I found that Kenpo might appeal to me more.

My main goal in studying martial arts is to feel secure, in control, and safe in unexpected situations. Living in a city, you're never sure when those will pop up, and while I haven't had many encounters such as this (knock on wood), I would like to know that I am full prepared.

Jujutsu seems to focus a lot on immobilizing an attacker by any means necessary, and seems to be a very defensive based task, but possibly with less focus on attacking than I'd like. Kenpo seems to concentrate more on using your fists as deadly weapons, should the need occur.

Basically, if I find myself attacked on the street, I want to be able to immobilize the person, and I don't want them getting back up to ask for more.

I've also noticed that people in this forum place boxing as the first in a list of the most practical martial arts. Is this referring to your typical Rocky/Sugar Ray training, or another more martial arts based way of training?

So, based on this, which way should I lean? I think I can find classes for both in my area. Thanks.

[This message has been edited by CrouchingLiger (edited 03-10-2005).]

#101864 - 03/10/05 07:54 PM Re: I need to decide: Jujutsu or Kenpo?
nekogami13 V2.0 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Texas, USA
jujutsu's goal is to immobilize the attacker by either rendering them dead or mechanically unable to continue fighting.
I would take good jujitsu over karate any day.

#101865 - 03/10/05 08:38 PM Re: I need to decide: Jujutsu or Kenpo?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Try them both and see what you like. Not all schools are fair representatives of their styles. Some are superior and some barely qualify as average.

You be the judge.

#101866 - 03/11/05 08:21 AM Re: I need to decide: Jujutsu or Kenpo?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Ju-Jitsu. In my opinion its the most practical of them all.

#101867 - 03/11/05 08:38 AM Re: I need to decide: Jujutsu or Kenpo?
Anonymous
Unregistered

While I personally study Jujutsu, I would reccommend looking at both schools and trying to figure out what works best for you.

Some people are built to be strikers and some people are built to be grapplers. It's a good idea to start with what you are naturally good at and when you are technically proficient at that move on to fill in the gaps in your knowledge.

Many schools have a hands-on introductory lesson, try both and see what you enjoy more.

#101868 - 03/11/05 10:58 AM Re: I need to decide: Jujutsu or Kenpo?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I thnk Leo_49 made a good point, find out what you do best as a base and either learn to counter waht you lack or add to it. But don't force yourself to do anything unnatural it won't be fun and you will want to quit.

Note: All of it is not going to be fun, nobody likes being choke out and revieved, both arts will do that, no escape. In my day thats how it worked.

#101869 - 03/11/05 11:36 AM Re: I need to decide: Jujutsu or Kenpo?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Just go to the schools personally and see their training personally. Both Jujutsu and Kenpo are good styles. It's more of a matter if the school trains them properly for combat. You usually can't go wrong with Jujutsu as usually students that come out of a Jujutsu school have a clue bout fighting. Kenpo's a good style if you join up with a good school. If all schools taught their respective styles properly to be effective, only then it's a matter of choosing style. But unfortunately not all schools out there teach good martial arts, you'll have to use your better judgement if the school is realistic in their approach to using their respective style for fighting. The styles are never at fault but usually it's more of a poor training methodology of a school that weakens a style to the point of nonusable in a fight that's at fault.

[This message has been edited by Walter Wong (edited 03-11-2005).]

#101870 - 03/12/05 12:11 AM Re: I need to decide: Jujutsu or Kenpo?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Salutations!

Well, I'll go with Flech on this one. Try them out and see what you like. All systems properly taught are good. Remember that the student makes the system. Jujutsu is a very well rounded MA. Kenpo is so as well. I have studied both. Nevertheless I have stuck with Kenpo (American Kenpo) because it allows me the flexibilty on techniques I like. Also, the systems teaches everyday weapons instead of the traditional weapons you see in Kobudo. Why? Because those are the weapons you might find or that you might be carrying, i.e., knife, pole or club. But in the end go with what you like and enjoy! Train as you fight!

Yours in the Spirit of the Warrior-Scholar,

Carlos M. Roman, H.I. American Kenpo Karate Studios
Orlando, FL

#101871 - 03/12/05 12:28 AM Re: I need to decide: Jujutsu or Kenpo?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Nice to see you back around Carlos!
Definitely listen to his advice here. Try them both and train as you fight!

All American Goju Karate

#101872 - 03/12/05 12:56 AM Re: I need to decide: Jujutsu or Kenpo?
Anonymous
Unregistered

since u want this for street fighting i would definatly choose jujitsu over kenpo because most "americanized" karate forms are for for sport then self defense but there are exceptions but if u want a really good self defense style i recommend bujinkan ninjutsu at least research it

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Cord, Dedicated1, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Self Defense
Offering stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and other self defense products not available in stores.

Pepper Spray
Online distributor of self defense supplies like videos, stun guns, Tasers and more.

Spy Cameras
Surveillance, Hidden Cameras, Nanny Cams, Digital Recorders, Spy Equipment, Pocket DVR's and more

Stun Gun
Wholesale Directlhy to the Public! Stun gun and Taser Guns and personal protection products. Keep your loved ones at home safe!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga