FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 48 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
old1, Leonar, ManLar, Vimido, raya
22925 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
futsaowingchun 4
Ronin1966 3
AndyLA 1
GojuRyuboy13 1
Matakiant 1
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
Today at 10:32 AM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
09/25/14 08:50 AM
Wing Chun-internal training
by futsaowingchun
09/23/14 09:01 PM
Martial News
by Matakiant
09/23/14 06:42 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by Leo_E_49
01/24/12 02:58 AM
Recent Posts
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
Today at 10:32 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by swordy
10/11/14 09:21 AM
Living a full life violence free...
by cxt
10/10/14 10:08 AM
The Karate punch
by Ronin1966
10/09/14 03:16 PM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Ronin1966
10/08/14 09:22 PM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by AndyLA
10/04/14 10:20 AM
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
Wing Chun-internal training
by futsaowingchun
09/23/14 09:01 PM
Forum Stats
22925 Members
36 Forums
35582 Topics
432509 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#101362 - 02/16/05 03:50 PM Someone points a gun at your head, what do you do?
Anonymous
Unregistered

When I say they point it at your head this assumes they're right up next to you, on which side...I can't say, but just assume it's in front.

#101363 - 02/16/05 05:36 PM Re: Someone points a gun at your head, what do you do?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Oozuru,

First off, Gun disarms are a DICEY propostion at best. But, I know you know that.

I can't tell you how anything is going to go down. A lot of the disarms taught at most schools don't happen that way in real life.

I can hope to impart basic principles.

1) Body rotation and stance shifting, make yourself as thin a target as possible.
2) Clasp both hands around the gun. Soft and gentle, not hard and brittle.
Be aware of the hammer/ slide.
3)Clear the weapon to the outside. 100% of the time clearing to the inside brings the barrel to center mass. That means if the trigger goes off, by accident or on purpose. What ever the barrel points at, the bullet will hit!
THAT MEANS YOU!!!
4)Twist the barrel upward, and outward to affect the joint lock. Kick the shin to unbalance the assailant.
If the guy has a stable base, he'll be able to fight back and regain control successfully.
5) From there lock on to targets available and strike! Strike first, Strike hard, Strike repeatedly. Keep going until he's no longer a threat. Once neutralized STOP! Take the gun, from him and RUN !!!
6) Do not use the gun yourself!!!
That gun is not yours!, You don't know if it is on safety, if it is even loaded. You never know if it will misfire or jam.
The last place you want to be in is in a court room trying to establish that he was the hold up guy, if your fingerprints are also on the trigger.
Lastly, remeber what he perp looked like and report him to the police, give them the gun with his prints on the trigger! Hand it to them slowly and handle first (Hold it by the barrel it from pointing at anyone, especially yourself.

I hope this helps and I know that others will add their good advice as well. Please take heed of our words, and the best defense...
Don't be there in the first place!!

Joel

[This message has been edited by JoelAp_Self Protection (edited 02-16-2005).]

[This message has been edited by JoelAp_Self Protection (edited 02-16-2005).]

#101364 - 02/16/05 05:59 PM Re: Someone points a gun at your head, what do you do?
Anonymous
Unregistered

If the gun is really close at my head I would try to disarm him. SOunds stupid but think for a minute. If he wants to kill you would you A)stand there and died

OR

B)Died trying........

Think about it................

*Inuyasha*

#101365 - 02/16/05 07:47 PM Re: Someone points a gun at your head, what do you do?
Anonymous
Unregistered

For gun disarm it very dangerour you only get one chance to get it right, so you are going to try to disarm someone with a gun, Do it right.

One of important is to get the pairol, sorry spelling, away from you. If you happen to grab their hand that holding the gun, now matter don't let go,

I try to avoid as much as possible, but if it's a life and situation, me personally I try to disarm my opponents.

taichi

kempo warrior

#101366 - 02/16/05 09:44 PM Re: Someone points a gun at your head, what do you do?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I really appreciate you guys, I LOVE YOU GUYS. But I already know this, in fact two weeks ago me and some friends (Nick&Aaron) were trying this with empty clips. I think even if they were blanks, you guys might take it out of proportion saying "you should know better." But I do (not saying you did say this), that's why I use empty clips. Just remember, you don't have to be in the non-civilian sector to practice these techniques. As a matter of fact, I recomend you guys start now (assuming you have'nt).
Also, we practice using human shields for a just in case thing. Just because there might be 4 guys in a diamond formation around you with guns DOESN'T make you as good as dead, take my word on it.

#101367 - 02/17/05 12:03 AM Re: Someone points a gun at your head, what do you do?
Chen Zen Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Ms
Its a scary situation to be in. Move the barrel away quickly then forget about the barrel.

It may sound weird but when facing an armed opponent the weapon should only be the primary focus when you initially begin the disarm. As long as you clear it from the target, then you can attack the opponent hard and fast. This negates the use of the weapon as the opponent is trying to keep his skull from caving in.

If you focus too much on the weapon then you expose yourself to the opponent. As long as you have a hand on the weapon then there is a hole in your defenses and a weakness in your offense.

#101368 - 02/17/05 05:54 AM Re: Someone points a gun at your head, what do you do?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Excellent post, JoelAP.

#101369 - 02/17/05 08:02 PM Re: Someone points a gun at your head, what do you do?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'm not trying to bump this or anything, but I forgot to mention I practice with guys who would ABSOLUTELY NOT hesitate to pull a trigger. So naturally they are good with firearms, given that you'd expect a 'click' the first twenty or so times I tried a disarm. But I've gotten better, and the click now comes after the gun is pointed away from my head.

#101370 - 02/18/05 12:52 AM Re: Someone points a gun at your head, what do you do?
Anonymous
Unregistered

MattJ,

Thank you so much for your support.
Well met my friend.

To the forum,

Please keep in mind this fact.
We do not have a bright red "S" on our chest.
We aren't bullet proof.
Hold up at gun point situations are not were anyone want to be.
If it is a hold up, you'll realize this in your ooda loop.
Observe what is happening.
He hasn't shot me yet.
Organize what you have at hand in your advantage.
My hands are up and close enough to effect the grab, my leg is close enough to kick his shin.
Decide on your couse of action.
If i'm going to do this...
Action implemented.
NOW!!!
This has to in a blink of the eye.

The criminal mind set is...
If he wanted to shoot you, he'd have already done so.
A hold up, is a threat of violence.
He wants something else instead of your life at that point.

So If the guys you train with don't hesitate, have them think in terms of the criminal. Else your training isn't preparing you right. You're heart and mind aren't racing and freezing at the same time (Adrenal dump), Because they aren't threatening you like a criminal would.
Have them add that aspect and you'll get even better prepared Oozuru.

I say that since it sounds like your training partners aren't taking the senario seriously. Like they just want to squeeze the trigger no matter what.
Is that the case? Or am I completely off?
If the latter I apologize and keep doing what your doing.

Joel

#101371 - 02/18/05 10:17 AM Re: Someone points a gun at your head, what do you do?
schanne Offline
breaks things

Loc: Woodbury NJ
Lets face it, most of us would crap our pants if some one stuck a barrel to your head. All the training in the world doesn't matter if your not mentally ready to "make the move" I know that If my life was in danger I would try but I still wonder if my timming, speed will be enough at "that time". There are a lot of variables to consider, what if you miss the first try, your hand might be to wet, can you accually see the gun in the dark, is the pistols hammer pulled back, what state of mind is the attacker in? My favorite part of MA is self defense but I hope that I never have to try and disarm someone with a knife or gun.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Cord, Dedicated1, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Stun Guns
Variety of stun gun devices for your protection

Buy Pepper Spray
Worry about your family when you’re not around? Visit us today to protect everything you value.

Koryu.com
Accurate information on the ancient martial traditions of the Japanese samurai

C2 Taser
Protect yourself and loved ones from CRIME with the latest C2 Taser citizen model. Very effective.

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga