FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 24 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TomRosenberg, jessylin, play, Keith_G, LeroyCFischer
22937 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
jwwmantis 2
Beefcake 1
LeroyCFischer 1
futsaowingchun 1
Zombie Zero 1
December
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
New Topics
Freeing Hand-Wing Chun's last movements
by futsaowingchun
12/17/14 09:40 PM
2015 Master Yang Jwing-Ming Seminar
by jwwmantis
12/05/14 10:36 PM
The Beginners Guide To Stretching
by
12/27/06 11:43 AM
Your true goal
by
03/03/06 07:16 AM
Recent Posts
Freeing Hand-Wing Chun's last movements
by futsaowingchun
12/17/14 09:40 PM
Your true goal
by Beefcake
12/11/14 02:44 AM
The Beginners Guide To Stretching
by LeroyCFischer
12/04/14 02:07 AM
Forum Stats
22937 Members
36 Forums
35591 Topics
432526 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#101198 - 01/31/05 03:30 PM how to defend against theese type of attackers?
Anonymous
Unregistered

http://www.skoopy.com/show2.php?id=939&type=VID

in the video the two fighters are just hammering away at each other with no defence.

now i've never fought against someone who just hammers away at the head and has practically no defence, so i was wondering, whats the best way to defend against a person who fights like this? theese kinda people just gets on top of you and starts hammering away at your head.

#101199 - 01/31/05 03:54 PM Re: how to defend against theese type of attackers?
Anonymous
Unregistered

The guy on the bottom could have finished that one quickly...he had the triangle choke pretty much locked in if he had realized what he was doing. You should get a partner and practice being on the bottom and him punching at you...this will be the best way for you to get used to that position. A good way to keep the guy on top there from just bombing away at you would be to pull him in to you...that way you take most of his range of motion for those big punches away...from there you can work a guy like that guy was(stupid) pretty easily and keep from gettin yourself hurt in the process. Practice is very critical....as you saw everything happens fast so you cant lay there thinkin forever, you have to be able to react quickly. Theres always lots of possibilities...im sure others will post different suggestions so you pick....but all of them require practice to learn it well enough to actually be able to do it under pressure.

#101200 - 01/31/05 03:59 PM Re: how to defend against theese type of attackers?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I would defend first and strike second.

In all the chaos that erupts, I would sort of step myself back to get a clear picture of what exactly is happening. These guys are obviously untrained and sort of just wailing carelessly. I wouldn't let them get close enough to wail in the first place. If the guy somehow manages to hammer away, I would have to get him to the ground and take control of him and end it right then and there.

-s.o.b.

#101201 - 01/31/05 04:21 PM Re: how to defend against theese type of attackers?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Inexpeirenced fighters (I've been there) tend to just go crazy in a fight, hitting as fast and as hard as they can, throwing wild swings; just running off of pure madness.....
If taking a martial art though or even just having frequent sparring match with your freind in the back yard, you have one thing that can give you an edge against that insanity, Disipline.
To win at fights the main deal is to keep your head on and not go crazy like those lads there.
Like GroundAndPound2000 said, you've got to be able think and react fast. Thats where training helps.

If I where in a postion like that, where the was guy on top of me trying pound me to a pulp, my act would probably be to try and slide out from under him. People often leave "holes" in their pins (pin being a very loose connotation of the word judgeing from the video), weakness that are easy to exploit. Like the chap on the bottom there, had his legs up to push the attacker back, by twisting and moveing his legs one way and his upper body the opposite he probably could have rolled the guy over. Or at least put him in a less advantageous position. The Idea about pulling him close is a good one.

#101202 - 01/31/05 05:20 PM Re: how to defend against theese type of attackers?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well i thier are a couple ways to deal with that (from what i know). one way would be to get under hooks on him and keep him real tight to you. then start kick him in his kidneys with your heels and punching him. the next would be to try to sweep him. probably put him in spider guard and then sweep him. at one point in the video the attacker stands up. this is pretty good for you because you can curve your knees inward so they are touching and then grab his ankles and push up with your legs while pulling his ankles foward. however i must say the people in that video were obviously a bunch of dumb asses.

#101203 - 01/31/05 07:18 PM Re: how to defend against theese type of attackers?
Anonymous
Unregistered

That is how a brawl goes. Even experienced boxers have been ko'd in flurries like that by much less skilled opponents.

If you are not a much better striker, it seems like the only time when it slows down enough to set anything up is in the clinch or on the ground.

The smaller guy has some wrestling skills. He got stalled on the double leg but pulled off a nice reversal that put the big guy on his back.

#101204 - 02/02/05 02:59 PM Re: how to defend against theese type of attackers?
Anonymous
Unregistered

As a Muay Thai enthusiast, allow me to say simply KNEE. Woulda turned that akward hold into a knockout. Just my opinion.

- Op. Skinny Ninja

#101205 - 02/02/05 05:23 PM Re: how to defend against theese type of attackers?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Knee? Maybe. Maybe not.

Kinda silly to look at positions untrained brawlers get into and try to insert your techniques in as quick solutions to their problems.

Those guys had bigger problems than not knowing how or when to knee strike.

Just like I don't look at a street fight that ends up with a mounted combatant punching the other into oblivion and say "Just bridge!".

[This message has been edited by Fletch1 (edited 02-02-2005).]

#101206 - 02/02/05 07:06 PM Re: how to defend against theese type of attackers?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Just my opinion, Fletch. Its a thread about what you'd do in that kind of fight, and I posted thusly. It was what I would've tried.. course, you are right, these guys are swinging like angry sixth graders. Always wonder how streetfights would work if nobody scored a lucky punch or ran out of stamina in a few quick, wild punches.

- Op. Skinny Ninja

#101207 - 02/02/05 08:49 PM Re: how to defend against theese type of attackers?
Anonymous
Unregistered

No worries.

If you sit back long enough someone will always give a technical answer to a tactical question. The only problem is that it starts to snowball as other martial arts people try to argue that their technique is better and pretty soon we lose sight of the original scenario and it becomes just another opportinity to hypothesize about our training.

Not a dig on you. I see it all the time though and wanted to head it off before we had others jump in with their "move".

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Cord, Dedicated1, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Stun Guns
Variety of stun gun devices for your protection

Buy Pepper Spray
Worry about your family when you’re not around? Visit us today to protect everything you value.

Koryu.com
Accurate information on the ancient martial traditions of the Japanese samurai

C2 Taser
Protect yourself and loved ones from CRIME with the latest C2 Taser citizen model. Very effective.

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga