FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 19 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
mohdnabeel, sunny, swordy, jerrybarry24, SenseiGregT
22915 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Ed_Morris 4
AndyLA 3
Zombie Zero 2
Matakiant 2
futsaowingchun 2
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
New Topics
STX Kickboxing Seminar
by Marcus Charles
09/09/14 06:57 PM
Biu Tzu- 1st section applications
by futsaowingchun
09/05/14 10:56 PM
2014 World Championships Chelyabinsk: The Gallery
by ergees
09/01/14 03:51 AM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
mindfullness meditation
by
01/06/09 11:27 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by
05/13/07 08:02 AM
Eugue Ryu
by
03/27/07 12:06 AM
Recent Posts
attacked from behind
by AndyLA
Yesterday at 09:05 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Matakiant
09/18/14 07:11 AM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
09/18/14 06:07 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by Zombie Zero
09/16/14 04:43 PM
Eugue Ryu
by kolslaw
09/12/14 03:35 PM
Biu Tzu- 1st section applications
by futsaowingchun
09/05/14 10:56 PM
2014 World Championships Chelyabinsk: The Gallery
by ergees
09/01/14 03:51 AM
mindfullness meditation
by log1call
08/31/14 09:43 PM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
Forum Stats
22915 Members
36 Forums
35575 Topics
432495 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#101049 - 03/05/05 02:44 PM Re: knives on the streets?
loki Offline
Enthusiast

The Blade
As previously posted the knife is a tool & a weapon in which it easily extends from our hand. Dagas/Kris/Karambit all knives which are NOT meant to be tools, as their primary purpose were to kill. As one decides to carry or not, one must understand that a knifes history will impact a judges decision after the altercation.

If one decides to carry, buy a blade that has NO negative history. This may help you in protecting yourself, after the ordeal. Furthermore, the name of the blade: some knives on the market have COOl DARK names. Avoid these as well, since their implications may very well sway the judge to place behind bars. Basically, one tries to avoid being suspected of carrying a conceled weapon.

The art of Kali: a blade art, which can be varry vicious can also be safer. One the student gathers trust & respect for the blade, and this prevents premature deployment of the weapon. Also the theory of de fanging the snake may very well be usefull here. Many MA concentrate on killing with a blade, in Kali A principle of Taking the Fangs away from the snake could help eliminate fatal thrusts & rather disarm the enemy.

I say enemy, since one should never unsheath the 'sword' unless the intent is to kill. This principle is used by true warriors only,as we draw only when we are forced to kill.

No games here: Carry with respect, as a warrior true to the calling of steel. Don't carry, and become a political genious, able to talk yourself out of trouble. The choice is yours....

Kobun

#101050 - 03/10/05 07:55 AM Re: knives on the streets?
Anonymous
Unregistered

nothing personal but i hate people that think their thug and cool and can protect themselves just for weilding a knife. real people on the street could jsut as easily use that knife on you. so if u plan on pulling a knifeo n someone, be ready to get yr knife takin away from ya and get stabed.

#101051 - 03/12/05 01:01 AM Re: knives on the streets?
Anonymous
Unregistered

[QUOTE]Originally posted by tw1st3d:
nothing personal but i hate people that think their thug and cool and can protect themselves just for weilding a knife. real people on the street could jsut as easily use that knife on you. so if u plan on pulling a knifeo n someone, be ready to get yr knife takin away from ya and get stabed.[/QUOTE]

Salutations!

This is exactly the kind of ignorance thats out there about knife fighting. A trained individual is almost impossible to disarm. Would you care to grab a razor sharp piece of steel moving at 120mph? How about trying to grapple a knife wielder that keep cutting you in unpredictible patterns? Oh and lets not forget the oh-so-infamous karambit on which the conventional disarms don't work! If what you say was true, then why even have guns then? They are easier to disarm than a knife. The only people that get disarmed are idiots and wannabes who don't know how to wield the weapon. Even in the untrained hands, a knife is risky to take away because even if you manage to block/parry/evade a cut, it will just come back at you from another angle. Besides, if you are a real "cool thug" why carry a knife you should have a gun, they are not that hard to get on the streets; besides, only an idiot brings a knife to a gun fight right?. Only school kids carry a knife to become cool "wannabe gangsta".

Yours in the Spirit of the Warrior-Scholar,

Carlos M. Roman, H.I. American Kenpo Karate Studios
Orlando, FL

#101052 - 03/13/05 02:17 PM Re: knives on the streets?
loki Offline
Enthusiast

General Ideas:

Concerning the KNIFE, used as a weapon the knife is dangerous. It has many ways of ending a life. A Monkey could kill you with a knife, as for a professional which body part would one lose first.

The FBI has a 22 Feet safe zone when dealing with a knife.
The US army changed to a more powerful gun, because of the Kris sword.
Edged weapons account for many Law enforcement deaths.
Never forget that the scew driver has killed many of these Law enforcement officers.

Remember that Knives are carried by both professionals & amateurs. The problem still remains that BOTH can KILL with this simple TOOL turned into a WEAPON.

Kobun

#101053 - 03/13/05 02:36 PM Re: knives on the streets?
schanne Offline
breaks things

Loc: Woodbury NJ
The only time I carry a knife is when we are camping, I have a nice SOG and those pesky squirrels better watch out! Remember the movie Crocadile Dundee when the kid tried to rob him in the park with a small knife and he puller that huge Bowie knife out and said, "now that's a knife". [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/wink.gif[/IMG]

#101054 - 03/19/05 01:43 AM Re: knives on the streets?
Anonymous
Unregistered

^^^ reminds me of the time I was on a bus and a group of 6 guys kept telling me and my friend to move out of their way so they can see the signs. We went along the first 2 times but then it came apparent they were ****ing with us. Well long story short he pulled out a 3 inch folder and i revealed the KABAR (7"blade, 12"overall) that I was wearing inverted under my shoulder. He just sat down and then they all got off next stop.

Anyways, I carry a knife with me everywhere I go. Ive been robbed several times and a weapon was always used so that "living your life in fear" line doesnt apply. Bottomline is in a life threatening situation a knife can deal more damage in less time that your hands. This is very important when the odds are against you in size or numbers.

However I do not suggest that everyone carry's a knife. If you dont know how to use it, and keep it then itll be turned against you fast. And whoever mentioned the kerambit, gets a big thumbs up from me. I love those things. I would carry one more often if it wasnt awkward. Once you hold one its liek an extention of your body and there is almost no removing it.

#101055 - 03/19/05 06:44 PM Re: knives on the streets?
loki Offline
Enthusiast

[QUOTE]Originally posted by bklynRx7:
^^^ reminds me of the time I was on a bus and a group of 6 guys kept telling me and my friend to move out of their way so they can see the signs. We went along the first 2 times but then it came apparent they were ****ing with us. Well long story short he pulled out a 3 inch folder and i revealed the KABAR (7"blade, 12"overall) that I was wearing inverted under my shoulder. He just sat down and then they all got off next stop.

Anyways, I carry a knife with me everywhere I go. Ive been robbed several times and a weapon was always used so that "living your life in fear" line doesnt apply. Bottomline is in a life threatening situation a knife can deal more damage in less time that your hands. This is very important when the odds are against you in size or numbers.

However I do not suggest that everyone carry's a knife. If you dont know how to use it, and keep it then itll be turned against you fast. And whoever mentioned the kerambit, gets a big thumbs up from me. I love those things. I would carry one more often if it wasnt awkward. Once you hold one its liek an extention of your body and there is almost no removing it.
[/QUOTE]

The Karambit was designed to mimick a Tigers Claw, thus it not only cuts it brings one down as it cuts.
Kobun

#101056 - 03/22/05 04:05 AM Re: knives on the streets?
Anonymous
Unregistered

The only time i carry a knife is when i go to a dangerous area or when i go on a trip across country (alot of freaks out there) I carry a S.W.A.T knife with a blade of about 6-7 inches (yes it does fold and it fits in my pocket). Otherwise NO. I never carry a knife otherwise as it can be used against me.

Knives are no play thing. They are prolly the biggest street killing weapon next to guns. So my advice, If someone pulls a knife on you. Disarm him (you can take a cut or 2 to the arm trust me) And throw the knife as far as possible. Then beat the hell out of him for pulling it on you.

#101057 - 03/22/05 10:21 AM Re: knives on the streets?
Anonymous
Unregistered

[QUOTE]Originally posted by MuscleGuyFlip:
The only time i carry a knife is when i go to a dangerous area or when i go on a trip across country (alot of freaks out there) I carry a S.W.A.T knife with a blade of about 6-7 inches (yes it does fold and it fits in my pocket). Otherwise NO. I never carry a knife otherwise as it can be used against me.

Knives are no play thing. They are prolly the biggest street killing weapon next to guns. So my advice, If someone pulls a knife on you. Disarm him (you can take a cut or 2 to the arm trust me) And throw the knife as far as possible. Then beat the hell out of him for pulling it on you.
[/QUOTE]

Salutations!

How can it be used against you? Do you know what you are doing? If not, why even carry? Or do you mean it can be used against you in a court of law? Please clarify this Sir.

Please, unless you are fighting a sleep-deprived-drunken-chimp, do not try to disarm a knife! As Muscle said, you might get cut once or twice... well children, THATS ALL IT TAKES!!! One cut, even a small one on the right place can cause you to bleed to death or if lucky, sever nerves and tendons maiming you for life. Take two cuts? Incredibly brave or incredibly stupid. That is the kind of thinking I see at my knife semminars... a big no-no.

If you see a knife (hoping you see it before is too late), RUN (assuming you don't have a gun on which case you are justified to use it)! If you can't run then keep him at a distance and protect any vulnerable parts if possible, try using long-range weapons, i.e, legs or sticks. If you try to disarm a TRAINED person, you will get carved up before you know what happened.

Yours in the Spirit of the Warrior-Scholar,

Carlos M. Roman H.I., American Kenpo Karate Studios
Orlando, FL

#101058 - 03/22/05 10:36 AM Re: knives on the streets?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I dont believe that people should ever carry knives on them, even for self-defense. There are many reasons for this:

In most places its illegal to carry knives in public.

If you accidently kill someone in self-defense with a knife. The proescuation could turn the tables on you, by stating that you were carrying a knife and could have been the aggressor.

You could be overpowered and also stabbed.

If you are really angry at someone and you have a knife in your hand or pocket, then you may do somthing that you'll regret, even unintentionally.

So, overall you dont gain anything by carrying a knife. In the matter for self-defense, well either avoid the fight all together, or if someone pulls out a knife on you the run for it. There is no shame in running.

[This message has been edited by yesisbui (edited 03-22-2005).]

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Cord, Dedicated1, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Ryukyu Art
Artifacts from the Ryukyu Kingdom missing since WWII. Visit www.ShisaLion.Org to view pictures

Best Stun Guns
Self Defense Products-stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and more

Surveillance 4U
Complete surveillance systems for covert operations or secure installation security

Asylum Images
Book presents photo tour of the Trans-Allegany Lunatic Asylum. A must if you're going to take a ghost tour!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga