FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 30 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TomRosenberg, jessylin, play, Keith_G, LeroyCFischer
22937 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
futsaowingchun 2
jwwmantis 2
Beefcake 1
LeroyCFischer 1
December
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
New Topics
Chum Kiu's double Tan Sau motion
by futsaowingchun
Today at 10:08 AM
Freeing Hand-Wing Chun's last movements
by futsaowingchun
12/17/14 09:40 PM
2015 Master Yang Jwing-Ming Seminar
by jwwmantis
12/05/14 10:36 PM
The Beginners Guide To Stretching
by
12/27/06 11:43 AM
Your true goal
by
03/03/06 07:16 AM
Recent Posts
Chum Kiu's double Tan Sau motion
by futsaowingchun
Today at 10:08 AM
Freeing Hand-Wing Chun's last movements
by futsaowingchun
12/17/14 09:40 PM
Your true goal
by Beefcake
12/11/14 02:44 AM
The Beginners Guide To Stretching
by LeroyCFischer
12/04/14 02:07 AM
Forum Stats
22937 Members
36 Forums
35592 Topics
432527 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5
Topic Options
#1040 - 07/05/04 12:26 PM Re: Karate vs Tae kwon do
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi all

You won't believe what I was looking for when I surfed on in to this conversation.

Anyways. Perhaps this will help: Consider the early days of Shotokan Karate. Master Funakoshi Gishin's top students had fundamental differences about purposes, meaning, philosphy and all sorts of things, and from there grew similar but different schools of Karate. Go back further, and consider that Funakoshi himself trained with other students under this master and that master, many of whom went on to generate yet other styles of Karate. One wonders where the original teachers all learned from, considering how secretive and family-oriented many of the older forms of Oriental martial arts were.

Think also how many Tang Soo Do (another Korean martial art type)federations, organisations, associations and who knows what else have sprung up in the last ten years alone.

Consider also how two of us in the same group, same country, same organisation taught our students. I always tried to explain meaning and interpretation and another teacher in my own black belt class, Master AB, nevcer once showed his students what their forms actually meant.

Now also consider what organisations merged similarly to the way the Zulus merged with the British at Isandhlwana to form what we call Tae Kwon Do.

Are you seeing the pattern - I am talking around the issue.

To the people worried about kicking higher like in any of the Korean styles - try it yourself - just lift your knee higher, pointing it at the target and don't "push" down when you kick. It is more difficult (to me) to keep the lower stances of the Shotokan schools.

Visually there are apparent differences - Tae Kwon Do types tend to "bounce around" while the Karate types tend to worry so much about maintaining height that they can't get a good leg up.

As you progress, you will be able to do both, which is why you should always be wary of martial arts organisations who claim that they know more than anyone else.

Recently, I was looking at some Kung Fu stuff (which I necer really bothered to examine closely before) and to my surprise found exactly the same basic techniques with significant and characteristic differences. After nearly twenty years, the point is - I can adjust my techniques to look like any style, even though I have a better understanding and affinity for one rather than the others. This may be because I regard myself as a bit of a "purist", in other words I look for the holistic underlying meaning and potential in all technique and seek perfection recognising that differences in the same technique may also be perfectly executed with a good grasp of the philosophy behind it.

This sounds a bit flakey, I know - sorry 'bout that.

Now the sum of what I tell those who ask me (and there have been many). It doesn't matter what art you do - seek your own fulfilment and make sure your teacher has integrity as well as technical competence. I have steered potential students to other schools when I recognise that such schools may better give what they seek. Don't get into an argument about whether there is a difference or not - find which one you prefer, understand why, and recognise the strengths of the other. To me they are different - there is a difference in training and execution of technique. But there are equally great differences between different styles of Karate as these have developed through different people and mansters over time. Avoid concentrating on the term "Karate" or "Tae Kwon Do" (though it helps to know what the basic differences actually are), and look at the styles, philosophies, and individual teachers. From them even more branches will develop over time - ask any kickboxer....

regards

G

#1041 - 07/05/04 12:28 PM Re: Karate vs Tae kwon do
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi all

You won't believe what I was looking for when I surfed on in to this conversation.

Anyways. Perhaps this will help: Consider the early days of Shotokan Karate. Master Funakoshi Gishin's top students had fundamental differences about purposes, meaning, philosphy and all sorts of things, and from there grew similar but different schools of Karate. Go back further, and consider that Funakoshi himself trained with other students under this master and that master, many of whom went on to generate yet other styles of Karate. One wonders where the original teachers all learned from, considering how secretive and family-oriented many of the older forms of Oriental martial arts were.

Think also how many Tang Soo Do (another Korean martial art type)federations, organisations, associations and who knows what else have sprung up in the last ten years alone.

Consider also how two of us in the same group, same country, same organisation taught our students. I always tried to explain meaning and interpretation and another teacher in my own black belt class, Master AB, nevcer once showed his students what their forms actually meant.

Now also consider what organisations merged similarly to the way the Zulus merged with the British at Isandhlwana to form what we call Tae Kwon Do.

Are you seeing the pattern - I am talking around the issue.

To the people worried about kicking higher like in any of the Korean styles - try it yourself - just lift your knee higher, pointing it at the target and don't "push" down when you kick. It is more difficult (to me) to keep the lower stances of the Shotokan schools.

Visually there are apparent differences - Tae Kwon Do types tend to "bounce around" while the Karate types tend to worry so much about maintaining height that they can't get a good leg up.

As you progress, you will be able to do both, which is why you should always be wary of martial arts organisations who claim that they know more than anyone else.

Recently, I was looking at some Kung Fu stuff (which I necer really bothered to examine closely before) and to my surprise found exactly the same basic techniques with significant and characteristic differences. After nearly twenty years, the point is - I can adjust my techniques to look like any style, even though I have a better understanding and affinity for one rather than the others. This may be because I regard myself as a bit of a "purist", in other words I look for the holistic underlying meaning and potential in all technique and seek perfection recognising that differences in the same technique may also be perfectly executed with a good grasp of the philosophy behind it.

This sounds a bit flakey, I know - sorry 'bout that.

Now the sum of what I tell those who ask me (and there have been many). It doesn't matter what art you do - seek your own fulfilment and make sure your teacher has integrity as well as technical competence. I have steered potential students to other schools when I recognise that such schools may better give what they seek. Don't get into an argument about whether there is a difference or not - find which one you prefer, understand why, and recognise the strengths of the other. To me they are different - there is a difference in training and execution of technique. But there are equally great differences between different styles of Karate as these have developed through different people and mansters over time. Avoid concentrating on the term "Karate" or "Tae Kwon Do" (though it helps to know what the basic differences actually are), and look at the styles, philosophies, and individual teachers. From them even more branches will develop over time - ask any kickboxer....

regards

G

#1042 - 07/07/04 08:15 PM Re: Karate vs Tae kwon do
Anonymous
Unregistered

Karate--hands down. But it must be traditional Okinawan Karate. That's where Tae Kwon Do came from, anyway; except it was filtered through Japan first. Study the history of the two arts and you will find that Tae Kwon Do is only a watered down imitation of real Karatedo.

#1043 - 07/07/04 08:27 PM Re: Karate vs Tae kwon do
Anonymous
Unregistered

As a brown belt in Tae Kwon Do I have found that Tae Kwon Do uses alot of strong, fast kicks. You can also learn show-offy type kicks like butterfly kicks, flash kicks, 540 kicks. There is not much of an emphasis on hand techniques though. But there is some grappling techniques used. From what I have heard, Karate is an equal amount of punching/kicking.

#1044 - 07/07/04 08:33 PM Re: Karate vs Tae kwon do
Anonymous
Unregistered

[QUOTE]Originally posted by BodhiHuss:
Karate--hands down. But it must be traditional Okinawan Karate. That's where Tae Kwon Do came from, anyway; except it was filtered through Japan first. Study the history of the two arts and you will find that Tae Kwon Do is only a watered down imitation of real Karatedo.[/QUOTE]
What do you mean Okinawan Karate was filtered through Japan to create Tae Kwon Do? Tae Kwon Do is a KOREAN martial art that, even though is similar to Karate, has a distinct style and different techniques.

#1045 - 07/07/04 08:52 PM Re: Karate vs Tae kwon do
nekogami13 V2.0 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Texas, USA
[QUOTE]Originally posted by WGPntblr27:

Tae Kwon Do is a KOREAN martial art that, even though is similar to Karate, has a distinct style and different techniques.
[/QUOTE]

You are incorrect. You have been taken in by the anti-japanese propaganda running rampant in Korea.
The founders of tae kwon do all held belts in japanese shotokan karate. Original TKD forms, before changes made to them, were almost the same exact thing as shotokan forms.

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Self Defense
Offering stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and other self defense products not available in stores.

Pepper Spray
Online distributor of self defense supplies like videos, stun guns, Tasers and more.

Spy Cameras
Surveillance, Hidden Cameras, Nanny Cams, Digital Recorders, Spy Equipment, Pocket DVR's and more

Stun Gun
Wholesale Directlhy to the Public! Stun gun and Taser Guns and personal protection products. Keep your loved ones at home safe!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga