FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 40 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
BUJU, Pilsungkarate, ALF, old1, Leonar
22928 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
futsaowingchun 3
Ronin1966 3
ergees 2
Victor Smith 1
GojuRyuboy13 1
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
Judo 2014 World Championships Juniors: The Gallery
by ergees
Today at 04:53 PM
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
10/20/14 10:32 AM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
09/25/14 08:50 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by Leo_E_49
01/24/12 02:58 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by
05/13/07 08:02 AM
Recent Posts
Judo 2014 World Championships Juniors: The Gallery
by ergees
Today at 04:53 PM
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
10/22/14 07:20 AM
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
10/20/14 10:32 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by swordy
10/11/14 09:21 AM
The Karate punch
by Ronin1966
10/09/14 03:16 PM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Ronin1966
10/08/14 09:22 PM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by AndyLA
10/04/14 10:20 AM
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
Forum Stats
22928 Members
36 Forums
35583 Topics
432511 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5
Topic Options
#100863 - 01/19/05 11:48 PM Re: 30 days to train someone.
Chen Zen Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Ms
Reaper,
To parry your quote: "Walk softly..but carry a big stick"

#100864 - 01/20/05 08:17 AM Re: 30 days to train someone.
cxt Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: USA
Reaper

Hate to do this-but.

Ahh, dude, you left out the exact quote and page number.

Plus if I can't check the edition itself, there is no way to know if your just making that "80%" figure up or not.

So please let me exactly where I can find the "80%" figure.

(an some OTHER places I can find it would be nice)

Otherwise I can simply ignore it as "I made it up."

So your being a "barfly" means you go to a lot of bars and get in barfights??

A-How can you prove that--sounds tough and all when you claim it. But can you back it up?

(yep, I am a old barfighter from WAY back I have been getting into barfights since before you were born sonny!--see what I mean?)

B-And no, not impressed with folks stupid enough to brag about getting drunk and beating up other drunks.

Sounds childish to me.

Esp so for a guy that claims to be 29.

Sorry, that should have be 20 systems in 29 years then.

So if we take it from 8 years old--thats about 1 whole system every year.

Dude you must ROCK, not many 9 year olds can say they they have "experience" in an entire system.

And you gained "experience" with a new one each year!

Right.

Later.

[This message has been edited by cxt (edited 01-20-2005).]

#100865 - 01/20/05 02:21 PM Re: 30 days to train someone.
reaperblack Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Victoria, BC, Canada
dear cxt, do you even bother to read before you reply or do you just kinda fake it. (a) as far as page number and paragraph, you are on your own. I am not going to go through an entire textbook of over 700 pages just to find one paragraph for you from a course that I took 2 years ago. You want to know so bad buy the book and read it, who knows you might learn something.
21 was the number of years that I have been training, since I was 8, making me 29, welcome to grade 1 math.
Would you like my entire bio. At the age of 8 I started doing ninjitsu, did that for 3 years off and on, as much as you can expect most 8 year olds to focus. At the age of 11 I started doing ITF TKD and did that until I was almost 18. When I was 16 I started doing greco roman wrestling and proceeded to do that for 2 years. At the age of 20 I started doing Juijitsu and continued doing that for one year. At the age of 21 I started doing WTF TKD and shootfighting, along with JKD and Brazilian juijitsu and Kali. This was possible becuase I had two instructors that taught multiple styles. At the age of 24 I started doing aikido, yang style tai chi, and shaolin five animal kung fu. At the age of 26 I started doing shorin ryu karate. I still do tai chi and kung fu, and my sensei and I still practice aikido, as he has 10 years experience in aikido.
There that is my martial arts bio, enjoy it, mock it if you like, tell me I'm lying, whatever. But at the end of the day I'll be teaching a class, and you'll still be typing away on your computer.
Oh and one other thing, I wasn't bragging that I spent a lot of time in bars, just stating a fact. In case you missed it, I said that I have never had to hit anyone, so I certainly didn't go around beating up drunks. I have never in my life started a fight, I believe that martial arts are about resolving conflict, efficiently. I will only hit someone when the need arises, and so far that person has never come along.
I am interested to know what is your experience. I never called you "sonny", as you insinuated that I was trying to condescend to you based on your age, I don't know your age, but you seem to be a little sensitive about it. Something to hide? Been doing martial arts for about a month? Since your 14th birthday last week? What's your baggage?

#100866 - 01/20/05 03:03 PM Re: 30 days to train someone.
cxt Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: USA
Reaper

Depends of it the topic is interesting or someone just jacking around.

Kinda like you taking the time to provide massive detail about the text---but somehow NOT providing the actual details needed to check your story.

ie, your just jacking around.

Plus "700 pages" from a course you took "2 years ago"--and you remember the exact percentage?

See thats a contridiction--your pleading time and distance somehow make it hard to find--BUT your ALSO claiming that your memory is good enough to quote from.

(heck you "remembered" the ISB number--you trying to tell me you got that from "memory?")

By the way, one of the authors names you posted is spelled wrong--Its actually spelt "Davison" NOT "Divison."

Not saying your lying--would say that your spinning.

You claim "experience" in about 1 new style per year for the past 20 years--more of less.

What you have posted indicates that you didn't stay long enough in most of them to gain any real skill--or you took then at such a young age AND HAVE MADE NO MENTION OF KEEPING UP THE SKILLS--that you "really" don't have quite the skills you claim.

Called "puffery" in my book.

How in gods name do you expect me to buy that you can keep up skills in 20 different arts??

Heck just for the sake of arguement, explain to me why I should be impressed that you "did ninjitsu" for "3 years on and off" when you were 8?

Seems to impress you--your still counting it as part of your ma "bio."

When you apply for a job do you include the Grade School you went to?

As a general rule I am deeply suspcious of anyone claiming experience in 12 or more systems at age 29--and you claim experience in 20.

20!!!!!

What you have posted as your "bio" just supports my gut reaction.

Now your saying that your "NEVER HAD TO HIT ANYONE" (in bars) so your spin earlier about being a "barfly" means what??

You maybe watch a lot of fights??

Dude, you SO "were bragging" about being a "barfly" and you did so to make yourself look sound tough and to add weight to your points.

By the way, just a suggestion,--don't point fingers at folks for not reading posts when you don't do so yourself.

If you actually took the time to read what I wrote you would understand that the "sonny" you have your panties all in a twist about was an example of how easy it is to make all sorts of crazy on-line claims.

Did not actually "call you sonny" at all.

#100867 - 01/20/05 04:07 PM Re: 30 days to train someone.
still wadowoman Offline
Improved beefier techno-prat

Loc: Residence:UK- Heart:Md, USA
What's barfly?
Sharon [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/confused.gif[/IMG]

#100868 - 01/20/05 04:35 PM Re: 30 days to train someone.
Anonymous
Unregistered

Sharon,

Just watching the fireworks, but a barfly is usually one who sits in a bar all the time and uses up the day drinking...usually older, no job and just enough cash for his/her next drink and a few cigarettes. Not a kind description.

-B

#100869 - 01/21/05 11:19 PM Re: 30 days to train someone.
reaperblack Offline
Enthusiast

You know nothing of me, and you know nothing of who I am or what I know. I have the book sitting on my shelf, but as I said I am not going to go through the whole damn thing to find page and paragraph for you. For starters I never said "80%", it might have been 79.5% or 81%. The ISBN # is written in the front of the book, but answers to questions asked by guys who are looking to start arguments is not a section in the index.
You are right butterfly, barfly is not a flattering term, certainly not one that someone would be bragging about in the context of their own life.
You seem to have forgotten where this topic came from, I told you in all the fights that I had seen I had never "seen" anyone break a knuckle. Not that I had been in lots of fights. I pride myself on not being enough of a loser to get into fights. I have thrown lots of guys out of bars, and been swung at lots of times, but I have never had to hit anyone back. That is all I said.
Martial arts are all the same in essence, they can be reduced to body mechanics, timing, distance, instinct, and footwork.
What I did in one style I did in another, sometimes in the middle, sometimes in the beginning, sometimes I watched other people do it for advanced techniques. No I don't practise all the techniques that I have ever learned, that would be a waste of time and energy, I practise all the techniques that I know work. All the techniques that mesh together. All the techniques that are natural and flow for me. The rest I leave for someone else, they might work for them. I still do the same armbar when I am on the ground that I learned in ninjitsu when I was eight, but now I have a counter for it too, and now I have more ways of getting the person there, if I want them there. The human body only has so many parts, and you can only formulate so many attacks with those parts. And only so many defences to those attacks are neccesary. Some work better than others for specific people, I steal the ones that work for me, and I practice them, every day, 1-5 hours a day. And I will continue to do this till the day I die.
I didn't come here to argue, I didn't come here to lie, I came here to offer my opinion on something that has been part of my life for as long as I can remember. If you didn't like my opinion you could have ignored me, you could have agreed to disagree, but instead you chose to make a personal attack on someone that you never met, and probably never will. There is a very elementary lesson you need to learn, respect.
Goodbye.

[This message has been edited by reaperblack (edited 01-23-2005).]

#100870 - 01/22/05 12:28 PM Re: 30 days to train someone.
reaperblack Offline
Enthusiast

[QUOTE]Originally posted by cxt:
Reaper

Depends of it the topic is interesting or someone just jacking around.

Kinda like you taking the time to provide massive detail about the text---but somehow NOT providing the actual details needed to check your story.

ie, your just jacking around.

Plus "700 pages" from a course you took "2 years ago"--and you remember the exact percentage?

See thats a contridiction--your pleading time and distance somehow make it hard to find--BUT your ALSO claiming that your memory is good enough to quote from.

(heck you "remembered" the ISB number--you trying to tell me you got that from "memory?")

By the way, one of the authors names you posted is spelled wrong--Its actually spelt "Davison" NOT "Divison."

Not saying your lying--would say that your spinning.

You claim "experience" in about 1 new style per year for the past 20 years--more of less.

What you have posted indicates that you didn't stay long enough in most of them to gain any real skill--or you took then at such a young age AND HAVE MADE NO MENTION OF KEEPING UP THE SKILLS--that you "really" don't have quite the skills you claim.

Called "puffery" in my book.

How in gods name do you expect me to buy that you can keep up skills in 20 different arts??

Heck just for the sake of arguement, explain to me why I should be impressed that you "did ninjitsu" for "3 years on and off" when you were 8?

Seems to impress you--your still counting it as part of your ma "bio."

When you apply for a job do you include the Grade School you went to?

As a general rule I am deeply suspcious of anyone claiming experience in 12 or more systems at age 29--and you claim experience in 20.

20!!!!!

What you have posted as your "bio" just supports my gut reaction.

Now your saying that your "NEVER HAD TO HIT ANYONE" (in bars) so your spin earlier about being a "barfly" means what??

You maybe watch a lot of fights??

Dude, you SO "were bragging" about being a "barfly" and you did so to make yourself look sound tough and to add weight to your points.

By the way, just a suggestion,--don't point fingers at folks for not reading posts when you don't do so yourself.

If you actually took the time to read what I wrote you would understand that the "sonny" you have your panties all in a twist about was an example of how easy it is to make all sorts of crazy on-line claims.

Did not actually "call you sonny" at all.

[/QUOTE]

I give up, you win, I have never even taken a class before, I have no idea what a dojo is, or maia, I don't know my chodan from my soto, or anything between ha-na and set in that other funny language. I have never heard of Wu Xing Quan, much less practiced He Xing or Hu Xing. I have no idea what I just said.
You are right there is now way that someone could learn how to throw a punch or block as a child and still be practicing it in a different style later in life. Obviously I must have been drunk again. After all with two arms, two legs, and a head to use as weapons the combinations must be endless. I am sure that you probably can punch in zig zags. Maybe someday I'll learn the no touch knockout too.
I can't help but notice while you were saying that I was "spinning", which is just a cowards way of saying lying, that you weren't willing to offer your experience to show why you had any more credibility than I do. It's not in your profile. I at least told you that the longest I had ever practised one style is 7 years. At no point did I ever state that I was a master, or claim to know it all, only that I had never "seen" anyone break their hand in a street fight, or heard any credible stories about it. Other than of course from you. This is a statement of my personal experience, or lack therof, on this topic.
As far as the barfly comment, no this not a flattering term, certainly not one that I would use to brag about a particular time in my life, but I learned from it, and it made be a better person. Yes i drank, yes I spent an abundance of time in bars, but I still had a job, it just happened to be in the restaraunt attached to the bar. Now I don't even drink, not that that is anyones business but mine. The point was that I had seen lots of fights, and none of them ended with broken knuckles.

#100871 - 01/22/05 12:34 PM Re: 30 days to train someone.
reaperblack Offline
Enthusiast

Ps. Sorry for hijacking your forum Ed, that was not my intent.
Roger

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5

Moderator:  Cord, Dedicated1, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Stun Guns
Variety of stun gun devices for your protection

Buy Pepper Spray
Worry about your family when you’re not around? Visit us today to protect everything you value.

Koryu.com
Accurate information on the ancient martial traditions of the Japanese samurai

C2 Taser
Protect yourself and loved ones from CRIME with the latest C2 Taser citizen model. Very effective.

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga