FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 59 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Shanktotheright, royal, bobgalle100011, agenonline, TooNice
22862 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
THEFOREVERMAN 3
Dobbersky 3
MattJ 2
royal 2
ergees 1
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
New Topics
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by Marcus Charles
03/24/14 04:39 PM
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by Dobbersky
03/20/14 05:45 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
AKK kata question
by
09/04/05 01:27 PM
Recent Posts
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:22 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:20 AM
AKK kata question
by MattJ
04/04/14 05:45 PM
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Forum Stats
22862 Members
36 Forums
35546 Topics
432378 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#1010 - 02/05/03 05:21 AM Re: Karate vs Tae kwon do
taebot Offline
Veteran

Loc: KANSAS
This is urban legend, so take it with a grain of salt.

Jim Harrison, way back in the embryonic days of American Karate, was at the Dojo practicing his Judo. In walks a man who wants to learn Karate. Sensei asks why? Well, the prospect has heard of the kicking and punching power of Karate and must possess that knowlege...

Well, Sensei points out, Judo includes kicking and punching, too. No. Not good enough. It must be Karate!

Sensei: I only teach Judo.
Prospect: I have $500.
Sensei: Let's go out back and start with 50 knuckle push-ups on the asphalt...

The legendary history of the first Karate Class in Kansas City...

[IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/biggrin.gif[/IMG]

Hope you enjoyed! (Hope you get the point! [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/biggrin.gif[/IMG] )

#1011 - 02/05/03 03:32 PM Re: Karate vs Tae kwon do
ishinnick Offline

Loc: Ontario, Canada
If you want to learn a punching and kicking art I would lean towards Karate because as I understand it in Sport Taekwondo you are not even allowed to punch to the face area at all. I have heard it said the Taekwondo is 70% kicking & 30% punching where as Karate is 50-50.

#1012 - 02/06/03 04:16 AM Re: Karate vs Tae kwon do
taebot Offline
Veteran

Loc: KANSAS
My Jujitsu and Akido teachers all kick and punch.

Perhaps you need to ask for specific drills.

I teach my TKD people jointlocks out of the forms.

It's all there if you look.

Even the Tea Master defeated the Samuri.

[IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/biggrin.gif[/IMG]

#1013 - 04/26/04 01:17 AM Re: Karate vs Tae kwon do
litnight Offline

Loc: OKC
[QUOTE]Originally posted by ishinnick:
If you want to learn a punching and kicking art I would lean towards Karate because as I understand it in Sport Taekwondo you are not even allowed to punch to the face area at all. I have heard it said the Taekwondo is 70% kicking & 30% punching where as Karate is 50-50.[/QUOTE]

#1014 - 04/26/04 01:28 AM Re: Karate vs Tae kwon do
litnight Offline

Loc: OKC
[QUOTE]Originally posted by ishinnick:
If you want to learn a punching and kicking art I would lean towards Karate because as I understand it in Sport Taekwondo you are not even allowed to punch to the face area at all. I have heard it said the Taekwondo is 70% kicking & 30% punching where as Karate is 50-50.[/QUOTE]

In the ART of Tae Kwon Do you will focus a lot on kicks but it also has an assortment of punches, knife hand and elbow techniques which aim for the head, neck, upper body, etc. Maybe in these weakened sport versions of TKD they don't "punch to the face" but in the art I study we do.

#1015 - 04/26/04 03:08 AM Re: Karate vs Tae kwon do
Chen Zen Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Ms
I agree. The art of TKD I studied was not divided like this. Its also training I value to this day.

#1016 - 04/26/04 02:25 PM Re: Karate vs Tae kwon do
badmamajama Offline
Veteran

look tkd has every strike the other karates do,every time i hear someone say they don't use hardly any hand strikes it's some nimrod who tried it 3 consecutive times.
i can not speak for other schools but we did straight rights; right cross, left hooks, upper cuts, back fist ridge hand,elbow strikes,finger jabs simulated of course
shovel hooks,as well as being finest kickers out there.if you went to billy bobs house of chops and tkd,then for GODSsake cut with the i know all about tkd horse shirt. [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/cool.gif[/IMG]

#1017 - 04/26/04 02:27 PM Re: Karate vs Tae kwon do
badmamajama Offline
Veteran

p.s. full contact kick boxing is the
one of your better supplimental choices since your already on your way in the grappling dept.

#1018 - 04/27/04 08:06 AM Re: Karate vs Tae kwon do
ken harding Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: UK
I'd tend to Shotokan or perhaps Goju Ryu. That said TKD kicks are a handful when you are on the receiving end so are another option.

As regard ju jitsu and aikido strikes: atemi is a fundamental part of those arts so it should be there. proper Koryu Jiu jitsu is rare here in the UK....yes I AM looking by the way. Much Jiu jitsu taught here is judo seasones with a bit of this art or another. no bad thing sometimes butI am after some back to roots research.

As a Wado man I can also tell you that Wado Ryu is a a mixture of Shinto Yoshin Ryu Jiu Jitsu plus Shotkan Karate in it's earliest form , plus some influences from other notable like Kenwa Mabinu and Choki Motobu. That said...i found it hard enough to find good Wado tuition covering all those aspects so....good look.

Look at as many dojos as you can and pick the other style on the basis of what suits your body (might take a few weeks of training there to suss this out).

#1019 - 04/27/04 04:43 PM Re: Karate vs Tae kwon do
Jim Offline

Loc: Munich
[QUOTE]Originally posted by ken harding:
I'd tend to Shotokan or perhaps Goju Ryu. That said TKD kicks are a handful when you are on the receiving end so are another option.

As regard ju jitsu and aikido strikes: atemi is a fundamental part of those arts so it should be there. proper Koryu Jiu jitsu is rare here in the UK....yes I AM looking by the way. Much Jiu jitsu taught here is judo seasones with a bit of this art or another. no bad thing sometimes butI am after some back to roots research.

As a Wado man I can also tell you that Wado Ryu is a a mixture of Shinto Yoshin Ryu Jiu Jitsu plus Shotkan Karate in it's earliest form , plus some influences from other notable like Kenwa Mabinu and Choki Motobu. That said...i found it hard enough to find good Wado tuition covering all those aspects so....good look.

Look at as many dojos as you can and pick the other style on the basis of what suits your body (might take a few weeks of training there to suss this out).
[/QUOTE]

I am a Shotokan man myself but train regularly in Wado when i am in the UK, enough to recognise crap when I see it. I have to say that Wado seems to have suffered in a lot of the dojos I have seen from getting reduced to the worst sort of rubbish. On the flip side I have been lucky enough to train with some excellent Wado Karateka.

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Stun Guns
Variety of stun gun devices for your protection

Buy Pepper Spray
Worry about your family when you’re not around? Visit us today to protect everything you value.

Koryu.com
Accurate information on the ancient martial traditions of the Japanese samurai

C2 Taser
Protect yourself and loved ones from CRIME with the latest C2 Taser citizen model. Very effective.

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga