Sparring protection

Posted by: Anonymous

Sparring protection - 04/20/05 11:10 PM

Myself and some classmates from my Bujinkan Budo Tiajutsu school would like to spar. I was wondering what kind of protective gear is suggested for best protection on a lower budget. I personally don't mind sparring without gear, although we stay clear of face shots, and this makes the sparring very unrealistic for street fighting.

Re: Sparring protection - 04/21/05 06:01 AM

I use full face mask, cause i dont really wwnt a broken nose. Body armour because of kicks etc. And fingerless gloves so that we can still do trappings and locks.

The whole thing cost me 80 pounds or 120 dollars.

Re: Sparring protection - 04/21/05 08:03 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by WhiteRice:
Myself and some classmates from my Bujinkan Budo Tiajutsu school would like to spar. I was wondering what kind of protective gear is suggested for best protection on a lower budget. I personally don't mind sparring without gear, although we stay clear of face shots, and this makes the sparring very unrealistic for street fighting. [/QUOTE]

Ask your instructor, get permision to spar first.
I do not wear equipment unless in a tournament where it is manditory. If you have control, and permision! you are ready. No control! wear head, hand, foot, shin. forget the body armour if you can't take a shot in the chest or stomach you should not be sparring. Pull everything going toward the face I like the nose tweek myself lets your oponent know you could have but chose not to so hopefully he/she will do the same.
Dan

Re: Sparring protection - 04/21/05 11:36 PM

Well we basically pull everything, no point in punching your partners ribs to oblivion. Kicks to the thigh are never pulled though [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG].

I was thinking just good head gear, and some decent gloves. Any suggestions for either of these ?

Re: Sparring protection - 04/22/05 07:23 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Dan_66:
forget the body armour if you can't take a shot in the chest or stomach you should not be sparring.Dan[/QUOTE]

If you can take a kick to the stomack or a solid blast to the chest then your opponent is not hitting hard enough.
We tried it without armour, but after a few broken ribs, we decided against it.

Re: Sparring protection - 04/22/05 09:05 AM

Armor and face masks??

When we spar (in muaythai) we only wear our gloves (of course) and shinpads and mouthgaurd. depending on your budget, it could only cost $50 AUD.

the pain is good [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG]..thats what i keep telling myself anyway. but i mean, you get in a real fight you wont have any armor on, atleast this way our bodies get conditioned aswell.

Re: Sparring protection - 04/22/05 12:13 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by hazard121:
Armor and face masks??

When we spar (in muaythai) we only wear our gloves (of course) and shinpads and mouthgaurd. depending on your budget, it could only cost $50 AUD.

[/QUOTE]

I dont know about you but i have a job, and i cant go in with a broken nose and black eyes.

I already told you there have been broken ribs, and then we decided to use TWD armour, because if you have a cough and a couple of broken ribs you will be in pain!
And sneezing is even worse!!

Re: Sparring protection - 04/22/05 05:05 PM

Any suggestions with brand ? I think I'm going to stick with headgear and perhaps gloves.

Re: Sparring protection - 04/22/05 06:56 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by MAGr:
If you can take a kick to the stomack or a solid blast to the chest then your opponent is not hitting hard enough.
We tried it without armour, but after a few broken ribs, we decided against it.

[/QUOTE]

First off I don't stand there with my gard down an say come and hit me.
Second we are not trying to kill anyone so yes we do use restraint try for 65 to 80% power. Yes there is the odd bruised broken rib, nose, hand, finger, toe what ever. After all muffin it is a fighting art.

If you do not train with reasonable contact and no equipment what would you do in a real fight. Oh pardon me bad guy who wants to beat me up please let me go and get my chest & head protector.

If you use your head for sparring you can have a great workout full contact with reasonable power. Full out power kicking we use the pads for that.

Re: Sparring protection - 04/22/05 09:59 PM

If your strikes are landing at 80% and they are meant to cause the most possible damage at 100% then you are going to hurt the person t 80%. Pads alow more sparring and less time healing.

Re: Sparring protection - 04/23/05 09:15 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by WhiteRice:
If your strikes are landing at 80% and they are meant to cause the most possible damage at 100% then you are going to hurt the person t 80%. Pads alow more sparring and less time healing.[/QUOTE]

WhiteRice
The point is that you will get better at blocking, redirrecting or evaision techniques. It is harder to train for real life when you don't practice somewhat close to that. And it is rare that injuries happen. I found more injuries with light contact. Everyone's opinion of light contact is slightly different. When you are expecting a hard punch or kick you deal with it and react accordingly. Does that help explain a little better.

Re: Sparring protection - 04/24/05 02:05 PM

I agree dan, the best way to learn through sparring is to spar without padding, but there are downsides to no padding and padding. You can never have a completely realistic situation, unless it is infact real.

Maybe a mix of padded and non padded sparing would have the best result ?

EDIT: I forgot to mention I went sparring at the RCMP Depot last night with some friends, because my friends dad is in the RCMP. Anyways, we tried some gear out, and although it alowed us to strike hard, it really was more of a hastle than an aid. If my partners weren't such wussies I'd have no problem sparring without gear.

[This message has been edited by WhiteRice (edited 04-24-2005).]