kumite in tourniments

Posted by: Anonymous

kumite in tourniments - 04/17/05 11:00 AM

im entering a karate tourniment [iv done a lot before but hardly win, even tho im quite a high grade] i seem to freeze up under pressure and have a memory lapse. any ideas of good combos or training techniques i could use. im also doing kata. any tips would be appreciated

Re: kumite in tourniments - 04/17/05 11:07 AM

It sounds as though there is a flaw in your preparation, especially just before the fight.
In general how much sparring and shadow sparring do you do and what are you doing mentally and physically during the day leading up to competition?
Maybe give up the kata and just focus entirely on kumite training.
What feedback have you been given by your instructor from previous comps?

Re: kumite in tourniments - 04/17/05 11:22 AM

my katas really good according to most people. i dont know exactly what preparations i should be taking. thats sorta the problem. i dont have a punch bag or nething. :S help me!!!! lol

Re: kumite in tourniments - 04/17/05 12:53 PM

Get a punching bag!! If your comps are 2 minute rounds, set a timer and work on effective strikes, no fancy stuff, just hard and fast techniques, for that amount of time.
You need to spar as much as possible and as many different opponents as possible, and spar hard, condition your mind and body to deal with punishment.
If there's no-one to spar with then shadow sparring can be an effective substitute, again set a timer and work on effective techniques and good footwork. Use visualisation to create an opponent and concentrate your strikes to specific targets.
Good luck and keep punching mate!

Re: kumite in tourniments - 04/27/05 01:01 PM

The question is what is going on that you are not being "good" at in tourniment fighting? Is it that you flinch? Or is it just the though of getting hit? as far as kata's go...Practice,practice,practice,practice,
practice...