knuckles or palms

Posted by: Anonymous

knuckles or palms - 03/31/05 02:36 PM

So, when you all spar do you perfer using open handed techniques, like palm strikes and ye ol karate chop, or fist?

Re: knuckles or palms - 04/01/05 03:28 PM

95% of the time-------shuto's and palmheels very rarely do I use any fist strikes.

Re: knuckles or palms - 04/01/05 05:52 PM

Kenpo uses open handed strikes about 60% of the time, and variations of a closed fist about 20% of the time. When we do freestyle sparring, we use a closed fist then, but that is because our sparring is completely freeform.

Re: knuckles or palms - 04/02/05 12:15 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by bushinoki:
Kenpo uses open handed strikes about 60% of the time, and variations of a closed fist about 20% of the time. When we do freestyle sparring, we use a closed fist then, but that is because our sparring is completely freeform. [/QUOTE]

Hmm, if you do 60% open-handed strikes, but yet in sparring you use closed fists...what good is it to practice all those open-handed strikes?

Just curious. Because to me it seems...if you're not doing it in sparring, then you wouldn't do it in a real fight, which means all that open-handed practice you're doing isn't really sinking in. I dunno, what are your views on this?

Re: knuckles or palms - 04/02/05 07:13 PM

when we practice techniques, it's similar to ippan kumite as practiced by many traditional karateka. But, when we do freestyle sparring, it's about speed and reflex, and since we don't have the level of control here (ie I know exactly how I'm going to move and so does the other guy at all times) we don't risk the eye strikes that can be used, or the throat chops, or the clawing moves (still protecting the eyes) or heel-palm strikes (we get enough bloody noses as it is) I hope this clears what I said up some.

Re: knuckles or palms - 04/18/05 01:37 AM

Rule of thumb:

Hard against Soft

Soft against Hard

Re: knuckles or palms - 04/20/05 08:55 PM

Traz has a good point. If you're one of those guys or gals that only wants to use open hand strikes then you must train that way 100% of the time.

In my experience, both open hand AND fisted strikes are useful for self-protection.

Re: knuckles or palms - 04/21/05 08:09 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by GojuRyuboy13:
So, when you all spar do you perfer using open handed techniques, like palm strikes and ye ol karate chop, or fist?[/QUOTE]

In any sparring I have done always a closed fist for strikes. I use open hands for redirection and blocks. The open hand makes it easier to go for a trap and take down or submition hold.

I have seen a lot of broken/spained fingers from using open hand during sparring.
Dan

Re: knuckles or palms - 04/23/05 12:40 AM

The key word here is "sparring" vs. "fighting". The contest rules eliminate nearly all open-hand techniques. That's why the gloves were designed that way. The bouncing about, high-kicking & halting after a point is scored are sport.

In a TRUE karate tournament, a competitor would receive an unknown attack from an unknown assailant from an unknown direction & "deal" w/ it. But we all know that the ER's would be the only ones benefitting.

So use sparring as a great way to improve, stamina, precission, timing, foot-work etc. but also add a healthy dose of bunkai (ever notice how many are open-handed techniques?) w/ resistance.