First Tournament...

Posted by: Anonymous

First Tournament... - 03/10/05 12:19 PM

Hey guys, I'm signed up for my first tournament and its happening in just under 2 weeks. I study Hapkido, and I"m in 2 divisions. One is a point sparring competition with SKITA rules, and the other is a continous fight with no face punches, with WKC rules.

Basically, I'm nervous because I've never been in a tournaments and I"m not sure what to expect. Does anyone have any pointers? Anything to be weary of? Anything in general?

Thanks guys!

Thanks guys!

[This message has been edited by traz (edited 03-10-2005).]
Posted by: Salek

Re: First Tournament... - 03/12/05 11:32 PM

well... I have no idea what your skill level is, and I actually have no clue about hapkido, but just general rules of thumb, always have a lot of spirit, be polite, and dont fall down...

I didnt help, but at least I posted [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG]

Re: First Tournament... - 03/29/05 05:44 AM

hey traz,

I've been in a couple of karate tournaments (i still reckon i've wasted my time doing karate, shoulda done muay thai earlier) and won some anyway, i guess the key 2 winning is 2 break down your opponent's offence and defence, analyse him while fighting him and exploit his weaknesses,if they're a solid fighter and they don't seem 2 have any weaknesses try to go offence more so u'll be ahead on points then just evade and counter them, to get rid of those nervous feelings b4 the tourney on the day, listen 2 some music b4 and stay calm but alert cos once you're nervous your movement won't flow and be second nature as it should
good luck and cya [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG]

Re: First Tournament... - 03/29/05 09:49 AM

I remember my first tournament. Honestly, a good loud kiai helps alot. Let one go at the start of each match and then move in and kiai again. If you're facing an opponent who has fought a few times before (which you shouldn't need to worry about at your first tournament) it won't work so well, but if he's in his first, second or third tournament, he should flinch when you kiai the first time, giving you an opening.