Cant Breathe in a Spar

Posted by: Anonymous

Cant Breathe in a Spar - 03/04/05 06:20 PM

Recently I got a very ugly sinus infection - bad enough so that I've lost some significant ability to breathe through my nose. I can still breathe somewhat during spars, but if I have to use a mouthpiece for the hardcore stuff, whenever I bite for impact the ability to breath is gone and its hard to recover even from short bursts of not bringing air into my lungs. Seriously killing my MA since I cant really spar, just bag work.

If nothing else though, it sure teaches you how to avoid jaw shots. Do enjoy breathing AND not having my jaw broke in tandem.

- Op. Skinny Ninja
Posted by: schanne

Re: Cant Breathe in a Spar - 03/05/05 08:50 AM

Try one of those skin diving snorkels. You already have the mouth piece and the tube runs up the side of your face. It best to get some electrical tape and rap it around your head so the snorkel doesn't flop around and fall out while your sparring. Watch out for those pranksters in the dojo that like to pour water down the tube, it's a real back slapper. Sorry, at work and it's boring [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG]
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Cant Breathe in a Spar - 03/09/05 07:27 PM

I dont know the complete extent of your injury, But over all the years that i have trained (20) i have always trained through my injuries, but in a smart way. Maybe bag work is where you need tobe until your are capable of training harder in the ring.
Posted by: JohnL

Re: Cant Breathe in a Spar - 03/10/05 06:51 AM

Try the brainpad mouthguard.

It allows you to clamp down on it while still maintaining a gap so you can breathe through your mouth.

JohnL