Province Tournament at 14-15 March - Need Advice

Posted by: Anonymous

Province Tournament at 14-15 March - Need Advice - 03/01/05 09:58 AM

Dear Friends,

I will have upcoming event later on 14-15 march, i need some advice.

here's my tournament rule :

-San Da Wushu Rule-
1.don't Use Elbows Or Knees
2.don't hit behind the head
3.don't hit the groin
4.any other hit like (kick, puch or throw) is allowable
5.3 times outside the ring you''l lose the round ( there are 3 rounds, if you win 2 rounds in row then u win )
6.clinch only 3 second
7.punch on the head/body 1 point kick on the head 2 point, kick on the leg 1 point, throw the opponent 3 point
8.pushing the opponet from center ring to throw him outside is not allowable (it's not sumo wrestling ), you may push the opponent if the opponent in the edge of the ring
9.the u and your opponent can't wait for attack 1 or another, the refree will tell u or your opponent to active, 3 times warning u get your point decreased by 1

ok i think that's all, i need some advice 4 sidekick, if my opponent using sidekick, it ussually disturb my rythm, i tried to avoid it but this only can be used for slower opponent, if my opponent faster than me, i can't have my counter attack.

i'm a boxer style, i'm ussually use low kick then jab n straight combination, i use sidekick sometime, but i more active on puch rather than kick. my grapple skill not so good. i'm haven't enough on weight lifting exercise. my only weapon is a long straight but it's a telegraphic move.

ok this is it for now, i will ask another later...

please advise me for the sidekick and what kind exercise i have to practice, and is it have to be everyday? how to control the schedule?

Thank you

Oni

Re: Province Tournament at 14-15 March - Need Advice - 03/01/05 12:36 PM

If it is a back leg side kick, use a spinning straight back kick to the mid section. Line up in the opposite stance from your opponent. As soon as he starts to kick from his rear leg, start your spin and kick to his midsection. Largest target and easiest to hit if you are not use to throwing this technique. Keep your hands up and in tight to protect your face and to use hand strikes to combo with the kick.

Another option, use a 45-90 degree off line step as soon as he starts to kick. In a fighting stance, move your back leg 45 to 90 degrees AWAY from the path of the kick while leaving your lead leg planted. What this does is takes you off the line of his kick. He goes by and leaves himself open to a strike from your new off line postion which is still well in range but now attack from the side as opposed to straight on through his sidekick.

If he uses front leg sidekicks, drop and sweep the back leg to upset his balance and strike as he is falling. When you drop, drop in a manner that takes your head away from the oncoming weapon while you take out his leg with your sweep.

Hope this helps.

Scottie

Re: Province Tournament at 14-15 March - Need Advice - 03/01/05 04:15 PM

A good conditioning exercise for the side kick is to find sumthing to lean on and hold out a side kick as long as u can until the technique becomes sloppy, then switch over to the other leg and repeat. I know I'm only 13 but that is what a guest instructor once told me and he's east coast champ, as in Japan, not U.S.

Re: Province Tournament at 14-15 March - Need Advice - 03/01/05 04:39 PM

@RazorFoot
Thank you very much for your advise i haven't thought it before, i will try your advise in my training today

@BAMA REDNECK9000
age didn't matter, i like to have input from anyone not according to their age, i will filter all the advise^^

another question, i ussually spar with same speed or lower than me because i'm quite fast too, but my confidence ruined when i'm spar with my senior with very high speed.... this concern me, how do i deal with it at the tournament if i met someone faster than me...?? do i have to increase mine? what kind of training that best to increase my speed?

Thank you

Re: Province Tournament at 14-15 March - Need Advice - 03/01/05 04:49 PM

Don't worry about speed. Timing is more important.

It's more important to throw a technique at the right time than super fast.

Re: Province Tournament at 14-15 March - Need Advice - 03/01/05 05:11 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Karateguy:
Don't worry about speed. Timing is more important.

It's more important to throw a technique at the right time than super fast.

[/QUOTE]

could you give me an advise to practise my timing? i ussually pratice it with skipping, rythm is very important i'm even learn music to know it. the silly one to practice rythm is to play Dance Dance Revolution Game hehehe ^^ but it still good y' know.

Re: Province Tournament at 14-15 March - Need Advice - 03/01/05 05:25 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Oni:
could you give me an advise to practise my timing? i ussually pratice it with skipping, rythm is very important i'm even learn music to know it. the silly one to practice rythm is to play Dance Dance Revolution Game hehehe ^^ but it still good y' know.[/QUOTE]

Those are great ways to improve timing. Playing an instrument probably helped me the most.
One tip to having good timing - relaxation. Nothing good can come out of being tense. Focus your mind on one thing. If you have ever watched a respected Martial Artist, you will notice that he does not seem nervous, tensed up, or jumpy at all. He seems calm, controlled, and focused.

-s.o.b.

Re: Province Tournament at 14-15 March - Need Advice - 03/01/05 08:31 PM

Oni,

I'm not talking about rhythm. Following a rhythm will get you whupped. I'm talking about timing. Ma-ai. The ability to know when to throw something. A person with a good sense of timing will pick up somebodies rhythm and strike when that person is least able to respond.

Drills like having your partner pick up and kick at you, then your punching them before they kick you. Things like that. Think of striking them before their technique fully develops. The best way to practice it is just by sparring a lot.

Do a search for "rhythm" in these forums. A great deal has been said about it already.

Don't forget to breath. :-)

Re: Province Tournament at 14-15 March - Need Advice - 03/02/05 12:26 AM

thx DullBlade42 and Karateguy, i think i get the point ^^, i hope the others can give me some input for what kind of drill i should take.

about spar, yes these day i train spar with my senior, ussually to start with i doing shadow boxing then punching matt next is spar.

about shadow boxing, i still very confused to imagine my opponent >.<

@Karateguy
btw could u give me the link to the topic that's tells about rythm ^^

Re: Province Tournament at 14-15 March - Need Advice - 03/02/05 08:44 AM

Oni,

http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/cgi-bin/search.cgi?action=intro&default=9

Type "rhythm" in the search bar.

There are several and I don't have time to go through all of them, but this is how you get to them...

Luck to you.