point sparring

Posted by: Anonymous

point sparring - 02/26/05 07:22 PM

im goin to a karate tounament in march and im competing in point sparring. someone please give me advise obout sparring for points

Re: point sparring - 03/01/05 03:51 AM

What type of point sparring ? WKF shobu rules (where you can score ippon - nihon - sanbon) ?
Main advise is stay low and light on your feet. Change direction (as to not stay in your opponents line of attack). When attacking do it suddenly and devestating. Always keep your guard up when entering and go out of reach after your attack. Don't lose concentration or stop until you hear 'Yame'. Make sure you have control in your technique on jodan level. Heavy contact that inflict injuries will be penalised as do uncontrolled techniques (even if they do not touch) like a swinging backfist.
Strategy, try to be on the safe side if you wish to be defensive with at least a 3 point advantage. If your behind on points, you have to attack. So you have to able to be offensive as well as defensive.
Try to conquer the center and 'press' your opponent in a corner or at least to the side. He cannot score when he's outside, you still can untill 'Yame' and he gets penelised anyway.
Good luck

Re: point sparring - 03/01/05 08:50 PM

I'm going to a tournament this march as well, in Salt Lake City. Point sparring is a big joke, I think. ha ha. maybe not. anyway, I think my tournament is following the SKITA rules. Read the handbook, in any case, really good so you don't get dq'd for something stupid. Ask the tournament coordinators if you have any specific questions.

As for poitn sparring techniques... well, it's like tag, and I'm looking forward to my point sparring. yippee! *this was completely point-less. ha ha*

~*tsubasa*~

Re: point sparring - 03/06/05 09:43 PM

well without knowing much about your fighting its hard to give advice tailored to you the best advise is stick to what cvv saaid in his reply thats very similar to how I manage the ring its like playing chess idealy you want to try to stay to the opponents outside line so you have the better angle to attack defend and counter also really try to dominate the center of the ring thats all I can say without knowing you just out of curiosity wich tournament are you going to in march there are a couple I know of because the advise we give also depends on the rules