First Time Competing

Posted by: Anonymous

First Time Competing - 02/02/05 11:15 PM

The tournament scene is a pretty dead one in my area, so my sensei lept at the opportunity to enter the Salt Lake City Nationals (it's an open tournament) this March. This happens to be my first tournament. I'd like some pointers on what to be looking for when I am watching other fighters, and how to make myself presentable (e.g. manners, etc. ^_^) I suppose I just want to know a bit of what to expect from the event as a whole. (I hope that makes sense...)

Thanks!

~*Tsubasa*~

[This message has been edited by Tsubasa (edited 02-03-2005).]
Posted by: sunspots

Re: First Time Competing - 02/04/05 03:38 PM

Some things that have always been good for me:

Always show respect to ALL those around you, whether they outrank you or not. You represent yourself and and your school when you compete, so make a good impression.

You are also an example to younger students coming up, so be aware that others may be looking to you to know how to behave.

If you can read the rules beforehand, do so. If they are told to you, listen carefully. If given a chance to ask questions and you have one, ask it.

Be a good sport, win, lose, or draw. Sometimes you will think you've performed The World's Greatest Kata, or landed the World's Greatest Kick and the judging will be against you. It happens. Don't let it bug you.

Observe and learn all you can from the performances of others. Maybe a move or strategy you see someone else do will work for you, too.

Hope this is helpful.

sunspots
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: First Time Competing - 02/06/05 08:12 PM

Thanks for replying; much appreciated. I was also wondering if anyone else has particpated in this tournament. Anyways, thank you!

~*tsubasa8~