Bloody Knuckles

Posted by: Anonymous

Bloody Knuckles - 01/21/05 05:25 AM

Hi, I'm 16 and at my high school all the guys play this game called Bloody Knuckles. For those unfimiliar it's where you take turns punching eachother in the fist untill someone gives up/bleeds from the knuckles. Yes yes I know it's a very stupid game, but the people at my school give a lot of respect to people who are good at this. I've been looking for ways to harden my knuckles and I've recently started doing knuckle push-ups. I was wondering if there are any other things I can do to make them as hard as possible. And I've been putting Vaseline on all my cuts on my knuckles and I was wondering if that was best of if there's something else I could do. And also on the delivery of my punch if any of you have any suggestions that would help too. Thanks. ~Anthony

Re: Bloody Knuckles - 01/21/05 10:38 PM

Try developing a callous on your knuckles. Just lightly tap things all day and scrape walls with your knuckles when you're walking. Obviously, don't make them bleed, and if your knuckles ache, stop for awhile and go lighter next time. After awhile, you'll develop a layer of hard skin over your knuckles, and it won't hurt as much to hit things. Won't bleed as easily, either.

Re: Bloody Knuckles - 01/21/05 11:20 PM

I suggest puttin up a punching board in your room, forgot the proper term for it, but deffinately something too look into for strengthening punches, and resistance of knuckles.

Re: Bloody Knuckles - 01/24/05 05:37 PM

I once heard this kid at my school talking bout how when he was in boxing classes and his instructor would take that wrist tape stuff that you put over your knuckles and fist and put it in water. then he'd put it in the freezer and let it freeze up. then he'd wrap it in his hands and put on boxing gloves. after that he'd start punching a punching bag and the gloves worked so that the iced up tape would be callousing his knuckles when he punched the bag but he wouldn't get injured since the gloves cushioned the hits a bit. It sounds like a good idea to me but if that doesn't work i'd say screw it. this game is just a stupid fad and probably aint gonna last. therell always be some other stupid fad thing to do that'll get you respect. but if my idea doesn't work you can ask your instructor. Im sure he can tell you something useful.
Posted by: Alejandro

Re: Bloody Knuckles - 01/24/05 06:44 PM

The punching board is called a Makiwara. Don't buy the ones from Century or other companies; they aren't actually makiwara, just cheap pads on a board with no shock absorbtion; they will injure you!
I don't recommend intentionally callusing your knuckles. Makiwara and bag training is designed to improve and perfect the mechanics of your technique; toughening your fists and feet is a potential by-product of that training. By all means do some form of impact training for your techniques, though!

-Al

Re: Bloody Knuckles - 02/04/05 08:35 AM

I used to beat my fists/knuckles into each other to help toughen them. Also lightly tap your fists/knuckles on a brick and/or smooth flat piece of iron/steel. Do this as frequently as possible everyday. And punch the punching bag everyday.

Re: Bloody Knuckles - 02/26/05 10:27 PM

now u first must understand your goal must be too callous your knuckles fully or this is not worth it .... u needa start doin closed-fist push ups( like your doin now) but u haveta do it on either on the rug or smooth floor, it only matters if you want a smooth callous or a a rough callous, do at least 50 a night when work out..4 maybe 5 sets....when u feel the burn u work with that burn...
also bare knuckle box on wood not any other stuff u mightve heard...cuase the wood vibrates and cushion the blow, that way you work on callousing the skin not workin on your endurance, then work on your grip; try doin lunges while ( with your fingertips)holding wieght away from your sides
,not too much dont strian your self( 5 or 7 pounds )... after a couple a weeks u'll notice brown spot on your knuckle and turning a little white... keep doin it and eventually u'll get a nice thick callous....oh and a little side note.......it takes a couple of years too make your hands from pain....its worth it, trust me...