Can a punching break your fist?

Posted by: Anonymous

Can a punching break your fist? - 01/17/05 03:54 PM

I have a punching bag at home,and most of the time I just punch it bare handed.I've been told that I could break my fist by doing that.Is that true?Do I actually need gloves or not? I would like some advice.

Thanks

[This message has been edited by Little Dragon (edited 01-17-2005).]

Re: Can a punching break your fist? - 01/17/05 09:06 PM

Hi! littledragon, I don't think you are going to break your knuckle unless you are going to punch a Sand Punching bag, the only Time I broke my knuckle is when I break bricks or tile.

But I reccomend using glove with wrist wrap becasue it will help prevent wrist injury and blister which in turn will cause infection because of the cut on the hands. Train smart you will train longer.

taichi

Re: Can a punching break your fist? - 01/18/05 07:08 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by taichi:

Hi! littledragon, I don't think you are going to break your knuckle unless you are going to punch a Sand Punching bag, the only Time I broke my knuckle is when I break bricks or tile.

But I reccomend using glove with wrist wrap becasue it will help prevent wrist injury and blister which in turn will cause infection because of the cut on the hands. Train smart you will train longer.

taichi
[/QUOTE] Thanks,Taichi!

Re: Can a punching break your fist? - 01/18/05 07:38 PM

Yours welcome, glad I could help

taichi
Posted by: Alejandro

Re: Can a punching break your fist? - 01/20/05 10:30 AM

A heavy bag can be a great asset to any martial artists training, traditional or modern or otherwise. Use wraps to protect your wrists and knuckles, and also train with heavy gloves which will increase your speed. Also, do practice without gloves or wraps, as its important to develop a strong wrist which can sustain the shock of the punch. When doing this, always start light and controlled, increasing strength and intensity slowly.
Have fun!

-Al

Re: Can a punching break your fist? - 02/16/05 08:38 PM

the main thing that you gotta worry about is collapsing knuckles, its happened to me twice and both times i wasnt wearing gloves