What is Recomended Fighting skills for Beginners

Posted by: Anonymous

What is Recomended Fighting skills for Beginners - 01/11/05 12:10 PM

Hey I am 17 I took karate when I was little and just now I am getting into the fighting arts. I spar with my brothers like a couple of times a week and I have seen some improvements in my speed and blocking, what do you recomend is the best way to start off fighting? ( I want to learn by myself...be one with the spirit ) Thanks for your time.
Posted by: WADO

Re: What is Recomended Fighting skills for Beginners - 01/11/05 03:07 PM

Fighting in some ways is like building a portfolio of techniques. I think a good percentge of instructors would tell you to start with lunge punch and reerse punch then practice putting those two together.
Posted by: MAGon

Re: What is Recomended Fighting skills for Beginners - 01/13/05 08:11 AM

Since you say you started out young, Iīm assuming youīre not really a beginner, itīs just that sparring is new to you.
That being the case, my advice would be to work on two areas (Aside from continued practice of the basics):

1. Instead of blocking, parry/ evasions and immediately countering. If you can hit but avoid being hit, guess who wins? And the best way to avoid being hit is not to be there (Evade) while putting out an obstacle to the opponents strike, in case you donīt evade fast enough (The parry).

2. Combinations. If you hit, you win. The more you hit, the faster you win, hence combos.

[This message has been edited by MAGon (edited 01-13-2005).]

Re: What is Recomended Fighting skills for Beginners - 01/13/05 09:19 AM

Thanks for the tips I appreciate and I will practice hard today!
Here's an interesting fact from me
"If you train hard enough to sweat the less of chance you will bleed in battle"
...I only got two more questions if anyone can answer them...

1.I can see things coming at me (have good reflexes) but I don't react as fast to encountaring the attack, how can Improve my body in this condition?

2.What are some good moves to knock someone down easily, does it usually rely on strength, or on weak spots because when I attack my brothers its like nothing to them and I want to be like Bruce Lee and just to take them down with one simple but fatal attack and I would appreciate if someone could back me up on something I don't know!

Thanks for listening.
Posted by: MAGon

Re: What is Recomended Fighting skills for Beginners - 01/13/05 10:48 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by MasterKozo:
Thanks for the tips I appreciate and I will practice hard today!
Here's an interesting fact from me
"If you train hard enough to sweat the less of chance you will bleed in battle"
...I only got two more questions if anyone can answer them...

1.I can see things coming at me (have good reflexes) but I don't react as fast to encountaring the attack, how can Improve my body in this condition?

2.What are some good moves to knock someone down easily, does it usually rely on strength, or on weak spots because when I attack my brothers its like nothing to them and I want to be like Bruce Lee and just to take them down with one simple but fatal attack and I would appreciate if someone could back me up on something I don't know!

Thanks for listening.
[/QUOTE]

Hi, Kozo.
I can't offer an opinion as to 1, because I'm not sure I understand what you're asking. Can you clarify?
As to 2, my experience has been that being able to successfully throw someone depends on technique, timing, catching them, or forcing them out of balance and just plain strength. I have succeeded in throwing an opponent using poor technique when I was the stronger of the two, and I've failed to throw a stronger opponent in spite of good technique. ALL these factors are important.

P.S.: I'll go out on a limb and say that IMHO timing is the more critical factor.

[This message has been edited by MAGon (edited 01-13-2005).]

Re: What is Recomended Fighting skills for Beginners - 01/14/05 04:30 AM

By knock down, do you mean throw to the ground, or render unconscious, or simply hurt a lot? Assuming one of the latter two, from my experience, there are no "good moves" to acheive this, just good technique. A poorly delivered reverse punch to the solar plexus will do no damage at all. In contrast a fast reverse punch to the solar plexus, delivered with your maximum possible body-weight behind it will seriously incapacitate most people.

I assume from your post that your brothers appear not to feel your strikes (correct me if I'm wrong). This could either be because your technique is poor (punching with your arm, rather than with your whole body for example), or because you're hitting the wrong targets. Punching someone in the arm will, at best, cause them a bruise. The same with a shoulder, upper back, chest or leg strike. The areas you need to strike to 'knock someone down' are either the solar-plexus, to inhibit their breathing, or the head, to damage the brain and disorientate them.

Before you do either of the above, check with your brothers that they're ok with you inflicting what could be permeanant damage on them. Better still, have someone infict several strikes on you in these areas, so that you realise what you will be inflicting on them.