Sparring outside of class, a good idea?

Posted by: Anonymous

Sparring outside of class, a good idea? - 01/11/05 08:43 AM

The situation I find myself in is:

The university karate club I attend does 'some' sparring in the main class, and has a dedicated sparring class which runs on a '10 people per session, once a week, invite only' basis. Which translates as 'if you're not an exceptional fighter or an attractive female fighter, you won't be attending' (the less said about the instructor the better!)

This leaves me (as someone who loves sparring, but has only been training a year or so) with a chance to spar once a week ,if that, for perhaps 25 minutes. Not the best basis for improving my sparring.

I'm planning on sparring outside of class, with similarly experienced people on a regular basis, and I'm just asking for you thoughts on it. Personally I think it's a great idea, but could I end up getting into bad habits with no 'experienced' person to advise?

With regards to the last point, I figure that if I'm doing something wrong it'll be obvious as I won't hit my oponent and get hit lots by them in return...seems simple enough. I can then try new tactics to overcome my faults.

Sparring will be light contact, and include one-step, free sparring and drills etc.

Re: Sparring outside of class, a good idea? - 01/13/05 03:03 PM

I think it's always a great idea to practice on a technique or routine you can't master or just for fun.

What I do for sparring I rely on myself if the move is or isn't effective (I decide my own fighting style) and also have your partner tell you about what he thinks on your moves that you pull off and do the same for him.

Have Fun Sparring!
Posted by: MAGon

Re: Sparring outside of class, a good idea? - 01/14/05 06:17 AM

While there is a chance that you'll develop a bad habit or two, the benefits of added practice far outweigh the down side. If it was me, I'd go for it.

Re: Sparring outside of class, a good idea? - 01/24/05 11:18 AM

i think its a gud idea to practice and sparr outside of the dojo aswell because the amount of practice you do helps you to find a comfortable way to execute a technique. The more sparring and practice you do outside of they dojo the easier it will be for you to make your martial arts techniques your own and the results in the end will be far better.

Re: Sparring outside of class, a good idea? - 01/26/05 08:41 AM

forget sparring outside of class, find a new class!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If your instructor only caters to exceptional fighters and attractive females, he is not the best instructor you can find, go elsewhere. 25 mins a week is NOTHING and your technique and stamina will reflect that.