Tournament HELP!!!!

Posted by: White-Tiger

Tournament HELP!!!! - 05/29/04 07:41 AM

I have a tournament coming (i am entering for sparing), i was wondering if i could get any training advice or drills i can do outside of my classes or maybe even a few combinations that have helped you guys out?.
well anyway this is my first tournament and im only an orange belt so i realy could use some help.
Posted by: 1st Round KO

Re: Tournament HELP!!!! - 06/01/04 09:41 AM

keep it simple. practice your basic combos for your respective art ie. 1-2-kick or whatever your bread and butter combos are.
in your first fight these will be your fail safes and most effective.
Posted by: schanne

Re: Tournament HELP!!!! - 06/08/04 12:41 PM

Run as much as possible, condition your stamina so you don't get tired. You would be surprised how long three round seems if your not in condition.
Posted by: JohnL

Re: Tournament HELP!!!! - 06/08/04 01:23 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by schanne:
Run as much as possible, condition your stamina so you don't get tired. You would be surprised how long three round seems if your not in condition. [/QUOTE]

Schanne

While I agree with your theory about stamina, I doubt if would help at this stage.

If he's an Orange belt, he's a beginner. It may be that he will only have one short fight and could be knocked out of the competition.

Also, his question shows his inexperience. As such, he'll probably get a huge adrenaline dump and feel exhausted after 10 seconds, regardless of how in shape he is.

As for advice;

1. Keep it simple.
2. Don't worry about winning or losing. It doesn't matter.
3. Have fun

Just use the techniques and combo's you already have. They'll do just fine.

JohnL

Re: Tournament HELP!!!! - 06/09/04 07:55 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by JohnL:
Schanne

While I agree with your theory about stamina, I doubt if would help at this stage.

If he's an Orange belt, he's a beginner. It may be that he will only have one short fight and could be knocked out of the competition.

Also, his question shows his inexperience. As such, he'll probably get a huge adrenaline dump and feel exhausted after 10 seconds, regardless of how in shape he is.

As for advice;

1. Keep it simple.
3. Have fun

JohnL
[/QUOTE]

Agree, Still I recommend running but like John said have fun with it too. How old are you and what's your style?
Posted by: White-Tiger

Re: Tournament HELP!!!! - 06/10/04 05:05 AM

Oh yes, By the way im 15 and iv been doing martial arts for almost a year now (about 11 and a half months) I consider my self to be reasonably fit ( I work out and exercise pretty much every day)and iv had a reasonable amount of sparing experiance against both people my age and adults.

Re: Tournament HELP!!!! - 06/11/04 08:00 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by White-Tiger:
Oh yes, By the way im 15 and iv been doing martial arts for almost a year now (about 11 and a half months) I consider my self to be reasonably fit ( I work out and exercise pretty much every day)and iv had a reasonable amount of sparing experiance against both people my age and adults.[/QUOTE]

15.....wish I started MA at your age, I was to busy listening to Led Zeplin and Pink Floyd and all the other crap that went with those times.
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Tournament HELP!!!! - 08/27/04 02:58 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by JohnL:
Schanne

As for advice;

1. Keep it simple.
3. Have fun

JohnL
[/QUOTE]

JohnL,

wat do u mean....exhausted after adrenaline dump? i have a tourney this 5 sept too...im a bit scared...cos i was scared shitless my last fight last month. for the first time in 10 years (i hav no idea why, i've been fighting regularly for 10 years) i couldnt even lift my legs....n im very flexible..
help............
Posted by: Ives

Re: Tournament HELP!!!! - 05/19/05 03:04 AM

Throw many combinations. Keep going, get into the fight. Create stamina, by either running, bicycling or swimmng.

Good luck!
Posted by: DaDoN_1

Re: Tournament HELP!!!! - 06/26/05 03:40 PM

one thing that has always worked for me was the classic skip in side kick with a back fist...as soon as the judge says "hajime!" do that...u'll be sure 2 have the first point...it never ever ever failed me before...