Seminar w/Wayne Otto(the black shark)

Posted by: medulanet

Seminar w/Wayne Otto(the black shark) - 01/26/04 08:11 PM

I just went to a seminar with Wayne Otto. My usual opinion is that point karate is garbage. I got this opinion from both my experience with it as a teen and a recent seminar I went to taught by 5 time World Champion Christophe Pinna. He basically used it as a way to demonstrate his superior athletic skills. He kicks like no one I have ever seen in person and his feet do what he tell them to. The things he taught only those with similar athletic ability can do and no one else. And with all of that ability the only thing that saves him from getting messed up are the rules of point fighting.

Anyway, because of these experiences I did not pay to participate, but I watched. His techiques were simple to understand and perform, did not break any principles of fighting and will work both in the ring and in the street. I was especially impressed with his sweeping techniques. I was wondering if anyone else has had similar experiences with Wayne Otto. He said this was his first time in the US and if he ever comes back I will definitely be there.
Posted by: JohnL

Re: Seminar w/Wayne Otto(the black shark) - 01/27/04 06:39 AM

You should have got on the mat, you really missed an opportunity.

Otto is one of the best movers I've seen. Great abilities.
Posted by: medulanet

Re: Seminar w/Wayne Otto(the black shark) - 01/27/04 08:11 AM

No doubt, once I got there I was pissed that I hadn't signed up. But you bet that once I got home I was practicing everything that he went over. Luckily there was a tournament the next day and I managed to talk with him about some of the things that I did not remember.
Posted by: creative

Re: Seminar w/Wayne Otto(the black shark) - 05/04/04 05:19 AM

I have never trained with him, but will be sometime in the future. He comes to one of the Shotokan clubs in my area and does an open training session. I have missed the last 2 but my friends who went were all impressed. From what i hear, i am glad that someone is doing point scoring well.
Point scoring has its place in MA so long as it is done well.
Posted by: still wadowoman

Re: Seminar w/Wayne Otto(the black shark) - 05/04/04 07:39 AM

I have never trained with Wayne Otto, but I have met him a couple of times.

When I was competing (small time, nothing great), he was one of the judges. He gave all of us encouragement and advice. I thought he was a great guy.
Sharon