First Competition

Posted by: shotoken

First Competition - 12/17/03 02:46 PM

Hi, me and karate-do are going to compete in a karate competition in january, he's quite confident but i'm one of those people who worries about things a bit, is there any good pointers you could give me that i wouldn't have learnt in class? (not really specific moves but tactics if you can), thanks
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: First Competition - 12/19/03 10:45 AM

The key is to not get hit.Accomplish this by proper distancing, footwork,awareness and timing.

To develop the above, I suggest training in a martial art.
Posted by: Bossman

Re: First Competition - 12/20/03 01:38 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by nekogami13:
The key is to not get hit.Accomplish this by proper distancing, footwork,awareness and timing.

[/QUOTE]

Ouch! [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/biggrin.gif[/IMG]
Posted by: shotoken

Re: First Competition - 12/24/03 06:22 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by nekogami13:

[/QUOTE]

I don't mean to be offensive mate but clearly i do train in a martial art because i mentioned i'm in a karate competition in the question, i would have liked some tips for the competition, the above you mentioned i have trained in, i was hoping for some specific tips, thanks anyway
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: First Competition - 12/24/03 06:50 PM

What I listed above is all you need. There are no magical tricks that will ensure victory. Each opponent you face will be different. Trying to advise you on how to fight them would be pointless,to give any worthwhile advice we would have to see your opponents in action.

Only thing I can say-when not fighting,watch your potential opponents fight.Pay attention to what they do,how they do it, and when they do it.
Posted by: goju

Re: First Competition - 12/26/03 01:42 PM

its not a fantasy world, you are going to get hit regardless of wether you want to or not. Is this a contact event or what ? you need to train your stamina if you are doing kumite
Posted by: Remandman

Re: First Competition - 01/17/04 08:07 PM

Best advise if it is a full-contact competition...Conditioning, conditioning, conditioning!

Here is what the pro's schedule looks like...You don't have to do this but it gives you an idea of what is involved. You can modify this program by doing less time training. When I fought competetively, I trained about two-three hours a day for amateur competion.Sample Training Schedule:

The example of a schedule is only that, an example. A training schedule needs to be set up in consultation with your Sensei, coach, and trainer. This way it will reflect the individual strengths and weaknesses of the fighter in training.

Monday (medium day, 5-6 hours): dojo class
conditioning
medium stretching
sparring
weight training/conditioning
easy run (3 miles)

Tuesday ( hard day, 6-8 hours): kihon
hard stretching
weight training
run - intervals (2 km. warm-up, 4x200, 2x400, 2km warm-down)
bag work and combinations
conditioning - sit-ups, etc.

Wednesday (easy day, 3-4 hours): dojo class
conditioning
light stretching
sparring.
run - aerobic pace (5 miles)
weight training

Thursday (hard day, 6-8 hours): karate techniques
kihon.
weight training
hard stretching
run - hill work (5 miles)
bag work and combinations.

Friday (medium day, 5-6 hours): kihon
medium stretching.
bag work and combinations

Saturday (hard day, 6-8 hours): dojo class
conditioning
hard stretching
sparring
weight training
bag work.
running - L.S.D. (maximum 8-10 miles)

Sunday (easy day, 0 hours): OFF
Posted by: karate-do

Re: First Competition - 01/24/04 10:18 AM

should do hard stretching every day imo.
Posted by: Salek

Re: First Competition - 06/12/04 11:16 PM

Excuse me, but Neko? Did you mean that as an insult to Karate back there?

Thanks,
Salek