over 16 competition fighting

Posted by: shotoken

over 16 competition fighting - 11/21/03 06:24 PM

i'm having my first competition ever in feb 2004 and i'm a bit nervous of the fact i may have to go against someone mega tall and i'm only 5 ft 7, i don't set myself a technique for fighting but i'm thinking of using my fast right jabs to keep my range and then kick, what approach or moves would you suggest i use in this competition against someone tall or anyone for that matter?
Posted by: Kotetsu

Re: over 16 competition fighting - 11/22/03 02:02 PM

Don't keep your range with tall people, that's what they want, they have more range than you. (by the way, i am tall so i have a tad bit of experience). Get in close, inside there reach and use short range attacks, most tall people get stacked by that, they're usually not used to having a little short person standing in their face(or chest) and trying to wail the hell out of them.

[This message has been edited by Kotetsu (edited 12-11-2003).]
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: over 16 competition fighting - 07/20/04 10:29 AM

use your speed
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: over 16 competition fighting - 07/20/04 11:21 AM

Try not to be nervous. It will make you tired a lot faster if you are tense when you go into the ring. If you can keep a slight gap in you back teeth by being a little slack jawed, it makes it tougher for your body to be tense.

I'm 5'10" but my sparring buddy for many, many years is 6'3" and it took me a long while to figure out that I could get in just a little too close for most of his kicks but still be a littl too far for him to effectivly use his hands. Most of my kicks work at this range. But the entire thing is dynamic, moving and changing all the time. It's almost impossible to purposly stay at that range durning a match.

Tall guys will often use thier feet to jam your kicks so you sometimes have to set them up once the pattern is shown to you. Techniques are great, but you have to use your head on the fly. You should certainly fight hard but you must also fight smart.

Observe, think and act. You won't be all that successful in your first match trying to follow that advice but when you gain some decent level of experince you will.

Good luck and try to relax and have fun. It's a sport after all.