sparring

Posted by: IRONMAN

sparring - 09/15/03 01:16 PM

at my school we do light/medium contact sparring. it not like competition sparring its more to practice techniques and there effectiveness. when im getting kicked i like to jam or stop the kick by attacking the attackers leg with a kick of my own (providing i can pull it off in time) i find that it works, it may hurt sometimes but it works. however the instructor is always like its no good try to side step itor tells me somthing else. i do try different things i dont always use the same defence. hes right to some degree but there are times when u cant always side step a kick. am i completely wrong with my approach.
Posted by: MAGon

Re: sparring - 09/15/03 03:27 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by IRONMAN:

...am i completely wrong with my approach.
[/QUOTE]

Nope. You use different methods at different times, depending on the situation. And there's usually one method that works best for you which you wind up using most often.

[This message has been edited by MAGon (edited 09-16-2003).]
Posted by: otobeawanker

Re: sparring - 05/26/04 07:07 PM

In Muay Thai the shin block is an effective technique for blocking kicks. This technique often does more damage to the kicker than the blocker too. If the kick is to your front leg, drop your weight forward on that leg, that is the most common way to take a leg kick in Muay Thai.

It is impprtant to so something you are comfortable with I think. So you may want to find other ways as well.
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: sparring - 07/13/04 10:52 PM

The most important thing that my Wrestling Coach imparted on me and the team was " Do what ever you feel most comfortable doing" usually when someone shot in on me during any of my matches, I would sprawl on try to put in a 3/4 Nelson, while some would sprawl and push off the shooters hips. Just remember, do what you feel is most comfortable.
Posted by: schanne

Re: sparring - 07/15/04 07:47 AM

Your instructor is probably trying to teach you good basics defense move. As time passes in most cases you will be able to move out of the way or counter those nasty side kicks. In the mean time try throwing a spinning back kick at your opponent when he try's the side kick. Works great!