Sparring within the confines of your system

Posted by: BlackDragon

Sparring within the confines of your system - 08/23/03 12:40 PM

Does anyone really spar within the confines of their fighting system? Is the concept of "absorb what is useful" not used by every martial artist to some degree? Even by the so-called traditionalists? I am a student of Tae Kwon Do and I use elements of Muay Thai and Wing Chun when I spar amongst other things as it surprises the hell out of my classmates when I block kicks with my shins or block strikes with the rising elbow blocks of Wing Chun. I guess the question should be whether or not we are all mixed martial artists to some degree?

Respects to all
Posted by: MAGon

Re: Sparring within the confines of your system - 08/24/03 08:29 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by BlackDragon:
Does anyone really spar within the confines of their fighting system? Is the concept of "absorb what is useful" not used by every martial artist to some degree? Even by the so-called traditionalists?...

Respects to all
[/QUOTE]

The short answer: No!!!

[QUOTE]Originally posted by BlackDragon:
...I guess the question should be whether or not we are all mixed martial artists to some degree?

Respects to all
[/QUOTE]

The thoughtful ones are. But it's by no means the rule. Hence the bad rep traditional arts have developed.
Posted by: JKogas

Re: Sparring within the confines of your system - 08/24/03 09:45 AM

By all means....if we aren't "mixed martial artists", then are we not short-changing ourselves as martial artists??

-John
Posted by: Remandman

Re: Sparring within the confines of your system - 10/16/03 01:25 PM

My Sensai encourages us to learn other martial arts. He says that will bennefit us. Especially boxing or Judo. If I had the money and time, I would do martial arts every day of the week.
Posted by: nindz

Re: Sparring within the confines of your system - 11/21/03 07:28 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Remandman:
My Sensai encourages us to learn other martial arts. He says that will bennefit us. Especially boxing or Judo. If I had the money and time, I would do martial arts every day of the week. [/QUOTE]

Same here!
Although i'd train mostly in wing chun and hapkido, and fa jing chuan
Posted by: Karate Teen

Re: Sparring within the confines of your system - 02/17/04 12:10 AM

Absolutely! The philosophy of my dojo is "There is no dominant art." My sensei has studied 2 factions of shito-ryu, zen shoto kai, muk duk kwan, shotokan, nisei-hakko-jitsu, and jiu-jitsu, to name a few. He integrates all of these, and teaches us the very best! It only makes sense to take the best you can from each style. It doesn't necessarily matter if it's in your style: if it works best for you, use it!

Matt
Posted by: schanne

Re: Sparring within the confines of your system - 03/08/04 09:29 AM

Many instructor will not show anything than thier own style. They are afraid of students leaving for another schools. Lose of business=less money. It aint rocket science.
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Sparring within the confines of your system - 03/21/04 08:33 PM

Any martial art is a combination of several different martial arts that has been modifed and evolved true time. The fact that you study Tae Kwando alone makes you MMA.

Of course there is the lack of ground work but it's still MMA.

This is all debateable, but technically speaking lol [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG]

[This message has been edited by Shotokan (edited 03-21-2004).]