pad training

Posted by: martinnitram

pad training - 01/28/02 02:24 PM

hi

was just wondering if any of you have some good drills to do with either the hook n jab pads that you hold on each hand or the single kicking/punching shield type pad.

when using the hook n jab i like to make the person hitting it do double kicks eg chudan then jodan mawashi geri and then follow on with combos building up speed.

what other drills could i do?

thanx in advance
martin
Posted by: P Carney

Re: pad training - 01/29/02 07:09 AM

The first half of my classes (jkd) are spent working with pads. It's a great workout, and trains so many attributes. We work alot of combos (including slips and blocks). I prefer working through ranges- start with a jab, eye strike, follow with a slip into elbow range, etc. The combinations of these are almost endless. We also do a few free rounds- the person with pads acts as a trainer, moving about, throwing strikes, etc, and occasionally 'flashing' the padds for a few strikes. Good times!
Posted by: martinnitram

Re: pad training - 01/30/02 06:02 PM

hi
good idea to use the pads to practise range and distancing, i like the show the target for a secong too to build up speed. The reason i posted this is because im taking a self defence class starting from next week, and was wondering what drills i could use. i might use the hook n jabs too attack uke too get them used to blocking then countering. Although they will all be begginners so i cant do anything too complicated at first. I think ill get them used to moving first then put in the blocks and counters, hopefully then if they are progressing move in to close range and into a throw etc too mess around with distancing. It is a purley self defence class that i have been asked to teach and will deal with wrist throws and your counters from headlocks etc, but it always helps if you know how to punch.

thanx martin
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: pad training - 07/10/04 12:05 PM

for speed with 2 targets:- backfist, cross, backfist, cross.
or 1 target, bacfist, cross, jab.

speed and power - lead roundhouse, rear round house.
-elbow hooks
-jab, cross,lead hook, rear upper cut
-rear roundhouse, backfist, cross, jab

-backfist, spinning backfist, backfist, hook