Full contact fighting

Posted by: Manny1

Full contact fighting - 09/08/01 01:13 AM

Hi, I am interested in full contact fighting but since I am not affiliated with a dojo and have no fight history I don't know where to start. I do have some formal training but now I practice on my own. Does anyone have any helpful information to get me started. I am in the NYC area.

Thanks

Manuel
Posted by: burbs

Re: Full contact fighting - 10/24/01 11:10 AM

Hi Manny,

I don't know what schools are in NYC, but I am sure there are tons of them. If you are interested in full-contact, try to find a school or a gym that uses grappling techniques, like wrestling, BJJ, Judo, etc. But also incorportats striking. Many FC fighters study western boxing, kick-boxing, and many focus on Mauy Thai boxing. They also focus very heavily on BJJ, due to it's effectiveness on the ground, and wrestling for it's superior take-downs. I hope this helps in finding your school.

PS I think Renzo Gracie has an academy in NYC, that school would be an excelent place to learn and train, but might be a little costly
Posted by: gojuwarr

Re: Full contact fighting - 05/02/03 05:17 PM

Did you check out the NYC Kyokushin dojo on West 28 St.? They train all their students for the full-contact tournaments and have one at Hunter College every year called the America's Cup. They have flexible schedules and it cost, I believe, 98 a month.
Posted by: Shoot-Fighter

Re: Full contact fighting - 05/03/03 07:26 AM

All you should have to do in NYC is open the phone book, blindly point your finger toward the page and it should FALL on a school that offers what you have in mind.

Good luck!