high kicks

Posted by: KickingAngel16

high kicks - 09/26/08 06:23 AM

How can I get my kicks up more for sparring?
Posted by: Ayub

Re: high kicks - 09/26/08 10:30 AM

Train up your high kicks by stretching and daily practice.
Posted by: Ives

Re: high kicks - 09/26/08 10:59 AM

The goal is to aim your knees high, than the lower leg will follow.
But that needs flexibility and good stretching.
Posted by: butterfly

Re: high kicks - 09/26/08 03:36 PM

It also depends on which kicks your talking about, and how you intend to apply them.

Re: high kicks - 09/27/08 07:19 AM

It's mainly roundhouses, fast kicks, and appas(which I can't spell to save my life). I'm also currently working on evading kicks from my opponent. It seems that I take their kicks and then I attack.
Posted by: butterfly

Re: high kicks - 09/29/08 11:17 AM

Here's what I was trying to get at: Round kicks, despite the universailty of them are derived a little differently in different systems. If it's a high kick from TKD, you might have to do something a little different than a high karate round kick or a high MT round kick. Each has its particular flavor, despite similarities. And that's the problem.

Re: high kicks - 10/01/08 05:43 AM

It's for TKD.
Posted by: BrianS

Re: high kicks - 10/01/08 06:20 AM

From what I've seen and done TKD kicks telegraph too much. TKD kicks advertise from the minute your foot leaves the ground and they also teach impaction on the wrong areas imo. All show and no go.

Stretch, get your speed up, and build your leg muscles. Practice til' you're tired and then go some more. There are no secrets to kicking, people just don't spend enough time doing them to get good at them, that's all.

How many high kicks do you do in a weeks time right now?

Re: high kicks - 10/02/08 04:00 AM

I don't know exactly. I do high kicks in every practice though. I pretty much go every day. Once my swim season starts up, I can only go about 3 days a week.