Another tournament video

Posted by: pepto_bismol

Another tournament video - 07/08/08 01:47 AM

Hi all,

Haven't posted on here for a while, but I was hoping for some criticism on one of my recent fights.

I pretty much had a dropped guard for most of the fight, that would probably hurt me if this was a knock-out oriented kind of thing.

But since KOs are not legal winning techniques, I guess I didn't worry about it much.

Other then that my opponent was pretty aggressive, and had an odd bounce on his stand up.

I also had a bruised left leg, so it was pretty much out of commision, but I tried to hide it by switching stances constantly.

heres the vid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmL3ETpjcyo

any criticism welcomed and appreciated.
Posted by: Zyranyth

Re: Another tournament video - 07/08/08 02:45 AM

Which one are you?

Re: Another tournament video - 07/08/08 10:35 AM

the one with the short hair, it says that in the description of the vid.
Posted by: mangoman

Re: Another tournament video - 07/09/08 09:55 PM

My background in is Taekwondo. I have never seen a sport Jujitsu fight before. I found your video interesting, thanks for posting it.

My question is, what is the differential between a blue belt and a white belt in Jujitsu? In TKD white is your first belt and the average time, for the most part, to get to blue belt would be about 2 years or so.

Re: Another tournament video - 07/10/08 01:18 AM

Quote:

My background in is Taekwondo. I have never seen a sport Jujitsu fight before. I found your video interesting, thanks for posting it.

My question is, what is the differential between a blue belt and a white belt in Jujitsu? In TKD white is your first belt and the average time, for the most part, to get to blue belt would be about 2 years or so.

excellent question. Sorry I left this out. Those are not our real belts. The ref has a blue wristband on one hand and a white on the other. Points are awarded to competitors depending on which hand he holds up.

Other then that the belt ranking system from our school is probably similar to yours. Traditionally it takes a long time to get promoted.

EDIT:

I think it's also important to mention that fighters are paired up by age and weight. And to a lesser degree, rank.

Everybody brown belt and below fight each other.

And then there is a separate black belt division.

If you hold a black belt in any style (Karate, Kempo, JJJ, BJJ, etc.) You fight in the black belt division.

Posted by: MattJ

Re: Another tournament video - 07/10/08 07:13 AM

Nice job in that. Your strikes are pretty quick. Nice job on the takedown and armbar. I wish they had some tournaments like that around here. Looks like fun.
Posted by: mangoman

Re: Another tournament video - 07/11/08 12:47 AM

Ahh That is good to know. thanks for the education
Posted by: Jeff_G

Re: Another tournament video - 07/31/08 03:08 AM

Ok, thanks for posting the video. The ground fighting was the interesting part for me. Other than that I would say the sparring was rather linear. Note that there are 360 degrees to work with. I always told my students that if they backpedal like that I can chase them from here to Kentucky but I will catch them and make the point.

And note that all of the strikes are one off techniques. Think combinations.