how im going to die

Posted by: student_of_life

how im going to die - 02/29/08 07:57 PM

in a grappling tournament.

i've got a little over have a years worth of judo under my white belt and i havent trained on the ground in 4 months. So whats the logical thing to do when you hear an open ground fighting tournament is coming up in 3 days? fight.

im in love with ground fighting as a law, and i think i'd regret not going. lack of training partner has forced me to get my heavy bag off the chains and on the mat to be tossed around. i have no chance of winning this one at all, but its going to be fun.

the tournament is tomorrow morning, i'll fill you in with the short details when i get back in the evening.

pray for me.
Posted by: Zach_Zinn

Re: how im going to die - 02/29/08 09:46 PM

Lol you've got heart!

The last time I did some grappling with my teacher it took like a minute or so for him to submit me with an armbar, I knew beforehand this was probably gonna be the case, but hey losing bad can often teach you alot more than winning!

Good luck at any rate, maybe you'll surprise yourself!
Posted by: Ronin1966

Re: how im going to die - 03/01/08 12:10 AM

Jeff
Posted by: MattJ

Re: how im going to die - 03/01/08 09:01 AM

LOL. You have heart, SOL! I have been taking BJJ for over 2 years now, and still haven't made it to a tournament.

Good luck and have fun.

Re: how im going to die - 03/01/08 03:02 PM

only for boys show'd up to the adult decision in my weight class, and for some reason we had single elimination instead of a round robin. i think with so few maybe a round robin would make for a little more fun/pain.

i ended up winning my first match due to points, the way no man wants to win a fight....but im not complaining, round lenghts are 5 minutes and we went the distance without a submission, however we spent about 2 and a half of thoes 5 in my scarf hold and side control. woot.

the second match i lost, due to RNC. dang. i spent about an half an hour on the mats warming up with the guy who beat me before the trounnament, and got submitted about 4 times, i almost got scared of him. so the round starts and i slam him into a scarf hold, im up on points, i try for an arm bar with my leg from here, and slips his hips out and takes my back for the RNC win. boo. the whole time i was thinking "he's gonna take your back if your sloppy", aww well, good guys, great fun, and theres another one coming up in may.

i come out with second place outta 4 guys. not so bad for only having a heavy bag as a sparing partner.

i have one last thing to add, grapplers are stong muthers. time to hit the weights and "PUMP, ME UP!"
Posted by: Zach_Zinn

Re: how im going to die - 03/01/08 09:57 PM

Heh I think we've worked almost the exact transition you lost to in Danzan Ryu class once.

Good job man, I would've lost much worse than you!

Are you actively training a grappling art?

Re: how im going to die - 03/02/08 10:55 AM

im not currently training in a grappling art, the last time i had a judo class was may of 2007, our club has closed down for now do to lack to of a place to train, we have mats but no space.

i have to give some serious cerdit to my judo coach, i can still hear his voice in my head yelling tips. the training was very intense, he'd show us a hold down, we'd work on it for a few minutes, then we'd have to hold down someone who tried everything they could do to get up. every class pushed you to the edge, and if you got something to work it was because you made it work, there were no half assers there. its the kind of intensity that breads competetors.

and thanks!
Posted by: pepto_bismol

Re: how im going to die - 03/02/08 02:22 PM

Quote:

the second match i lost, due to RNC. dang. i spent about an half an hour on the mats warming up with the guy who beat me before the trounnament...

one of my judo coaches told me not to talk to the people I am about to fight before I fight them. If you like somebody, you might have a harder time going 100% on them.

I think that warming up with somebody you are about to fight is probably a really bad idea, I don't see much good coming out of it.

Other then that, congratz and winning by points is still cool.

Re: how im going to die - 03/02/08 07:57 PM

i know what your saying, but since i never had an opertunity to roll with anyone i reall jst wanted to get a feel for it before i had to roll for points. im a poor student, im used to making due with sub par training opertunities.

thanks