Tournament Saturday

Posted by: ShawnM

Tournament Saturday - 02/28/08 11:07 PM

So, I've registered in a tournament this Saturday, and I'm a little nervous. It's not my first tourney (actually, my fourth), but the problem is the host of it. I'm used to non-stop sparring that strays from the common TKD style (punches, hapkido, and stuff like that), but the only type of sparring that will be held is point. I'm not sure what everyone else may call it, but it's basically start - point - stop, start - point - stop. To make matters worse, the match is only to 3 points; the only kind of point sparring I've done was to five.

Any ideas on what I can do to beat these guys at thier own game?

Oh, and I've been working on my jumping back kick as a counter to a bum rush/charge.
Posted by: WhiteDragon11

Re: Tournament Saturday - 02/29/08 06:28 AM

Well when it comes to TKD, point sparring, you will see a lot of flick kicks (double, triple,etc). Since its point, they dont worry about being taken to the ground, so they keep their leg up for kicks. I would recommend trying to circle them; this will stop them from getting in good and accurate kicks.
Keep your moves simple, and what you know. I dont think a jumping back kick is necessary. If they rush you, you can also step back and counter with a side kick. Keeping it simple will help you do whats second nature to you, and not what you WANT to do.

Other than that, good luck man!!!

Re: Tournament Saturday - 02/29/08 11:24 PM

Thanks for the advice.

However, I forgot to add that thier school is more Karate-based, so I'm expecting a bit of a different style than what I normally see in class.

Also, 'bout the back kick: I've done it a lot in the past weeks, and it is sort of second nature. I'm not sure if I understood correctly, but in response to what you said, I can execute this kick just as effectively as a dodge/sidekick. I've mastered (er, well, not MASTERED) making it only a 3/4 foot jump and a fast extension/recoil. It takes me roughly the same time to do as any roundhouse.

But if I caught you're meaning wrong, sorry. At least you've got some extra info.

(No sarcasm implied, really).

But yeah. Thanks for the advice.

EDIT: I forgot to specify what type of back kick it is (I've seen the term used for things like spinning heels as well). I don't know if anyone here will misunderstand what I meant in the first place, but it's the back kick that is more like a backwards front kick. (Sorry if I'm making this more complicated.)
Posted by: MattJ

Re: Tournament Saturday - 03/01/08 09:07 AM

Good luck and let us know how it went.

Re: Tournament Saturday - 03/01/08 10:46 AM

I'll be sure to do that; I'm leaving in about an hour.
Posted by: WhiteDragon11

Re: Tournament Saturday - 03/01/08 03:53 PM

Well if its second nature, then go along with it. I didnt know if it was kind of new to you. I mean I execute the side kick best. If you can do the jumping back kick as well as I can do the side kick, then I guess the difficulty of the kick isnt a factor as long as you got it.

Good luck
Posted by: TKD_X

Re: Tournament Saturday - 03/01/08 08:40 PM

i am used to continuous sparring also. with point sparring make sure you don't stop after you think you got a point. there is a very good chance that even though you made contact, the judges A) didn't see it or B) didn't deem it powerful or clean enough. the trick is you don't stop. whoever is running the ring will stop it. you are at a disadvantage because the person who is running the ring will most likely be from the school that is hosting. as soon as you stop, your opponent will drill you. hope this helps!

Re: Tournament Saturday - 03/02/08 03:56 PM

Well, I did use it, and I was VERY close to landing it. However, I made one miscalculation: the guy I fought didn't practice this style either. He is a prtactitioner of TKD, so he was much more cautious. Too bad I didn't know that till AFTER the fight...

Re: Tournament Saturday - 03/02/08 03:59 PM

Thanks for the help.

I'm sure I could have made use of it, but they decided to bracket me with black belts. That's right, 6th gup against big, strong blackbelts. XD

Our division only consisted of 3 people, so I took third in sparring and forms, but I almost took second both times.

Oh well. Maybe next time.
Posted by: MattJ

Re: Tournament Saturday - 03/02/08 07:21 PM

Hey, good for you for getting out there anyway.
Posted by: student_of_life

Re: Tournament Saturday - 03/02/08 07:59 PM

im all about going into a competetion you cannot win, i kinda like the feeling. as long as you had fun man, and now you have revenge as a training tool!! it makes you work harder!