1st Kickboxing Competition

Posted by: Helen2005

1st Kickboxing Competition - 01/22/08 02:21 PM

Hello all! I'm a woman who is about to have her first competition Saturday in kickboxing. It's only an exhibition match, but it will help get my feet wet and see what I learned so far from training. I have been training for about 5 months. I admit I am very nervous, but excited at the same time. I know there is no cure for the nerves, but does anyone have any suggestions or tips on calming themselves the days leading up to the competition? Or does anyone just have any general tips? I'm open for anything and I appreciate the support!!! Wish me luck .
Posted by: MattJ

Re: 1st Kickboxing Competition - 01/22/08 03:50 PM

Do your best and have fun. Not many people have the (insert anatomical reference here) to get out there and compete, either. Remember, your opponent is probably more afraid of you than you are of them.

Re: 1st Kickboxing Competition - 01/22/08 04:00 PM

Thanks for the comment. If she's not afraid of me, she will be within the first few seconds of the match. My coach told me to be sure of that lol.

Update on my fight last Saturday - 01/28/08 05:16 PM

Well, I went into a cage and banged with my opponent for two 2 -minute rounds. We both got some good shots and I believe it was a draw between us. It was an exhibition fight, so there was no official winner or loser. My coach thinks I edged out ahead at the very end. So I am happy and I had a lot of fun. I can't wait to get back into training and get ready for the next event. Thanks for your support!
Posted by: MattJ

Re: Update on my fight last Saturday - 01/28/08 07:06 PM

Thanks for the update, Helen. Well, how does it feel to go from watching it on TV to doing it in front of a crowd?

YOU ARE THERE!!!

Re: Update on my fight last Saturday - 01/29/08 09:36 AM

It's a feeling you just can't describe. It may not be for everyone, but fighting has become my new passion. My lungs were on fire and I felt like I was going to collapse in round 2, but it was still the most incredible feeling in the world. And the crowd wasn't small either. The total count was near 700 and they gave me energy with their cheers. I can't wait to get back into the cage again!!!