1st MMA fight -

Posted by: drmickey

1st MMA fight - - 12/18/07 06:39 AM

Hi- I'm back...

Just did my first amateur mma fight. The rules were: no head strikes, no elbows, no knees. Kicking permitted to legs and body only. When on the ground, strikes to the body permitted - no head strikes.

It was a good experience. I was matched to a guy who had been training a similar length to me and we weighed the same (~70 Kg).

I contemplated getting him with an armbar from the guard but I thought he was too slippy - so I worked him for a triangle. I kept him close to me in the guard and worked up his body with my legs, waiting for him to attempt a pass - then I threw my leg over him and sunk in the triangle - It was a very tight triangle - He had no choice but to tap.

Any comments or feed back would be appreciated.

Thanks and have a good Christmas!

Michael

see attached link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Rj42QqhzBQ&feature=related
Posted by: MattJ

Re: 1st MMA fight - - 12/18/07 09:08 AM

Nice job on the win! Takes guts to get out there. Thanks for sharing.
Posted by: seito

Re: 1st MMA fight - - 12/18/07 09:23 AM

Congrats. Nice work controlling until you got the choke.
Posted by: lopezma

Re: 1st MMA fight - - 12/18/07 10:34 PM

Congradulations winning your first!
I lost my first MMA Cage Fight some years ago, but learned much.

Anyway, it looked like you were wanting to go to the floor, am I correct? Punching was lacking see seconds 40-50.

LOVED the kick in second 25!

When you hit the ground I thought you were in trouble, but you kept your cool and punched your way out of that funky hold.
The only thing he did well was he was able bridge and get out from your mount. Base work!
After that, you controlled the ground game!
You kept him in your guard and kept working.
GREAT JOB!
You beat two people that night The opponnent and the guy on the right (black shirt)in the audience (perhaps his trainer) seemed upset and walked away through the door as soon as you won!

Re: 1st MMA fight - - 12/21/07 05:20 AM

Hi Lopezma - the guy who walked through the door was the organiser for the event - he is my Muay Thai trainer.. a good guy. He was getting ready to call the next fight.

you're right, I was waiting to take it to the floor. With the 'no head strike' policy I wasn't too bothered to throw punches (I do boxing also). So, my game plan was to see what was his style. He didn't shoot so I suspected he wasn't too keen to take it to the ground or wasn't confident enough to shoot. After I took him down he did a good reversal. But, I like to fight from my back (in grappling anyway). If there were head shots allowed I wouldn't be too keen to be on my back as I would risk him passing my guard and mounting and pounding.
I believe MMA is a clever game - very strategic. I'm fairly new to it and have a lot to learn and the best way to learn is get fighting!

Thanks for your comments -

All the best,

Michael
Posted by: lopezma

Re: 1st MMA fight - - 12/31/07 01:33 PM

Totally forgot that there were no head shots (while I posted my last entry). I would have been looking for the ground too.
From your post, it shows that you have a good head on your shoulders.
MMA being strategic, absolutely! I like to refer to MMA as a human chess match.
Good Luck with the future, you're gonna do GREAT!
Posted by: JAMJTX

Re: 1st MMA fight - - 12/31/07 11:18 PM

You're off to a good start. Congratulations.
Posted by: bo-ken

Re: 1st MMA fight - - 01/02/08 05:50 PM

Great control from your guard. You had him set up for the that triangle perfectly.

Re: 1st MMA fight - - 01/04/08 08:23 AM

thanks guys - - Always good to get some feedback. I hope to have some more fights in the coming months and I'll post them on here.

All the best for the New Year