First time, and starting to get the buttleflies.

Posted by: Eregos

First time, and starting to get the buttleflies. - 10/11/07 12:33 AM

Hello guys,

I just wanted to post here for a few words of encouragement. I'm competing on my first tournament ever this Sunday. I'm doing my kata (pyong-Ahn ee dan) and I'm comfortable with my ability, but the closer I get the more anxious I get.

I showed my master the form today and he had a few pointers, "speed it up a bit", Kia louder, and few other tips. If anyone here can give me some advise for a first timer I would apreciate it.

Thanxs
Posted by: WhiteDragon11

Re: First time, and starting to get the buttleflie - 10/11/07 06:23 AM

For a first timer, do not worry about being the "best". Have fun at the tournament. Learn from watching other people's performance. After your first time, you will have a better idea on what to get better at for next time, and you will know what the judges with expect. Do your best, but do not get too worried about it.
Posted by: MattJ

Re: First time, and starting to get the buttleflie - 10/11/07 08:06 AM

Quote:

For a first timer, do not worry about being the "best". Have fun at the tournament. Learn from watching other people's performance. After your first time, you will have a better idea on what to get better at for next time, and you will know what the judges with expect. Do your best, but do not get too worried about it.

Ditto! Have fun, don't worry about winning.
Posted by: dojorat

Re: First time, and starting to get the buttleflie - 10/12/07 07:16 PM

have fun, enjoy the experience. when you get up there and do your kata do not rush it, you will want to because of the nerves but try not too, it will look better if not rushed unless its a really fast kata just something that was pass on to me when i competed.

Re: First time, and starting to get the buttleflie - 10/12/07 09:18 PM

Thanxs for all the encouragement guys, I will let you know how it went sunday.

Re: First time, and starting to get the buttleflie - 10/13/07 12:56 AM

Oh yeah nad I agree with what dojorat said. Its natural to speed up things when your nervous.
Posted by: chunky_chicken

Re: First time, and starting to get the buttleflie - 10/14/07 11:29 AM

Eregos, where is your tournament, im going to one today (sunday) aswell. well, either way, good luck. you know your capable of doing the kata, you just have to go out there and do it.

Re: First time, and starting to get the buttleflie - 10/15/07 11:23 PM

Thank you all for the great advice. I had a fun time, halfway through the tournament I decided to give sparing a shot and went for it.

I did not place in katas or sparing, but it was a great learning experience and I had fun doing it. Now I know what to expect and go for the next tournament.

PS: Chunky Chicken I went to the southern California karate classics put on by Arturo Ruiz. The people from my studio and me had a blast, and some of them brought back plaques.

Re: First time, and starting to get the buttleflie - 10/16/07 06:23 AM

Nice Eragos. Its good you had a good time at the tournament. Now next time you wont be as nervous and you can focus more on what you have to do better. People that have bad experiences, do not want to try again and give it another shot.