Did a sport ju jitsu tourny

Posted by: pepto_bismol

Did a sport ju jitsu tourny - 08/07/07 06:38 PM

Hi, did a sport jujitsu tournament 2 weeks ago, lost to the same guy twice, but I thought they were some good matches. Second match was kind of out of control though, I was dropped twice in the first round with heavy punches to the stomach, then taken down and submitted twice in a row (partly because I was still hurt)

after I recovered from the heavy hits I had to step it up and depend on my addrenaline to keep me from getting to hurt.

lessons lurned

1. Hold them in a pin to tire them out longer before going in to a submission.

2. Do not try an ankle lock in a competition.

3.Be ready for those hard hitters, even at tournaments where hard hitting is not allowed (minus points, disqualification...)

anyway heres the vids if anybody is interested, I noticed that not that many people post there matches on here, so maybe it is taboo? I will stop if it is a bad thing.

match 1
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4563529996129370012

match 2
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7543453258239907549

edit:

For clarification, I am the one with the blue belt, the judges gave me the belt so they can award some points to blue and some to white, in reality I am a white belt in ju jitsu, and the other guy is a white belt in ju jitsu.

I have karate/wrestling/wing chun background and he has judo/tkd/wrestling background so it was an interesting match up.

he did pull off one hip throw in the first match because the refs said stop (so I stopped) and he continued the throw.
So even though it looked like I got pwned with that throw, he got no points for it

another lesson learned, don't drop your guard because the ref says stop. some people just wont stop...
Posted by: JMWcorwin

Re: Did a sport ju jitsu tourny - 08/07/07 07:07 PM

Yeah,

I learned the hard hitting lesson a long time ago. ( not in Jujutsu but open tourny ) Always have a few guys who hit harder in tourneys. Lots of adrenaline, and some use it as a tactic to slow your reflexes. If you're scared after the first clash, it's to their advantage. It usually only gets them a warning but the damage to your psyche is already done. I've talked to some competition reg's who always do something harsh right off the bat to throw you off. If the rules say no takedowns/throws... they'll throw you once, etc. They get warned, you get worried, they own you. It's the head game aspect of it.

Congrats on the matches though. Looks fun.

and yeah, 1st rule in any competition:
Always protect yourself. Keep that guard up.
Posted by: pepto_bismol

Re: Did a sport ju jitsu tourny - 08/07/07 07:54 PM

Quote:

and yeah, 1st rule in any competition:
Always protect yourself. Keep that guard up.

hahaha, you noticed that I was dropping my guard on purpose to tease him? That really got my judo coach angry (my coach was screaming "keep your guard up" in the second match, but I think it worked to my advantage because he would telegraph a strike to the face which I would block and/or counter to his stomach. (I didn't get hit in the face to much)
Posted by: JMWcorwin

Re: Did a sport ju jitsu tourny - 08/07/07 08:02 PM

Well, that too, but I was really reffering to your comment about not dropping your guard when the ref says stop.