Beating Nerves...?

Posted by: Flamingdj

Beating Nerves...? - 06/11/07 03:18 PM

I Have A Big Tournament This Saturday, 400-500 Spectators and Competitors. I'm Fighting Fit After Suffering A Broken Wrist, From My Last Sparring Match.
The Only Problem Is, I Have Begun Suffering From A Nervous Stutter And Regularly Become Very Ill With Nerves. I Would Be Very Thankful If Anyone Could Give Me Any Tips or Advice on Beating My Nerves.

Anything Is Welcome.
Posted by: Supremor

Re: Beating Nerves...? - 06/12/07 07:12 AM

If this is your first tournament then it will be very difficult to throw away the nerves. However, once you are actually fighting there will be no problem. Fighting in tournaments is, I think, good for people's confidence, because after the first two or three, you get used to being under pressure, and you have the experience to cope with it. So, try and suppress your nerves as much as possible this time, and each time you compete afterwards you will get a bit less nervous.

And don't forget, everybody is nervous about fighting in a tournament. It takes guts to get in there and give it your best, and the very fact that you are going to go do it despite your nerves is an achievement.
Posted by: crablord

Re: Beating Nerves...? - 06/12/07 07:42 AM

A great way to not get nerves is to absolutely not give a [censored]. Which is why I never got nerves in sparring

But if theres 500 people watching you spar for the first time your gonna be nervous, theres really no avoiding that.
You'll cope with it though, as soon as you start sparring thatll go away
Posted by: Flamingdj

Re: Beating Nerves...? - 06/12/07 01:36 PM

It's only the tournament since my wrist, But i've always had the nerves. My trainer tries everything to get me going.
Last tournament... Stutter got so bad i physically couldn't give my name and grade.