video of fights at recent tournament

Posted by: pepto_bismol

video of fights at recent tournament - 06/11/07 01:45 PM

I am white gi with blue belt
Only down side to this tournament was that a clean kick to the head ends the match, since there is no way to determine if it would of been a knock out when your wearing head gear.

And that the head gear removes a lot of vision.

I bought some mma gloves there too.

Anyway here are my matches, I don't have enough time to type, just so you guys know, punches to head were illegal, kyokushin style tournament

my win
http://youtube.com/watch?v=IErdaVmZ6xo

my loss
http://youtube.com/watch?v=MmzuTVydg9c

I was surprised he was able to take those punches to the gut, brown belt was a fun fight, even if it doesn't look that impressive.
Posted by: student_of_life

Re: video of fights at recent tournament - 06/13/07 08:31 AM

i think it looks good. your moving well and seemed very confidant in the first fight. thanks for posting the videos.
Posted by: Dad

Re: video of fights at recent tournament - 08/03/07 04:39 PM

Cool, my son and I really enjoyed these. Good luck for future matches Pepto
Posted by: medulanet

Re: video of fights at recent tournament - 08/03/07 10:49 PM

Good job. I think your experience was the difference between a sport karate/point karate type black belt and a more solid Kyokushin/Oyama brown belt. The first guy was obviously not of Oyama's line. However, the brown belt was probably a kyokushin style fighter, and they train to take a massive amount of body punishment.
Posted by: Supremor

Re: video of fights at recent tournament - 08/04/07 06:52 AM

Thanks for posting the videos pepto. I have a couple of questions/tips:

1) Were you allowed to use straight(linear) kicks? If so, the front kick particularly can be useful as a scoring technique to the body, and as a means of stopping your opponent from jumping in. It is also very easy to follow up with punches, unlike the side-kick.

2)You moved forward very well and did some good combinations. However when moving backwards you were much less effective. Again, you could use front kicks to help this, but you could also use more tidy footwork to feint coming forwards again while moving backwards, this will put him off balance for a moment, allowing you to withdraw to sparring distance again.

3) The techniques you did use were generally very sharp. Well done!

4) In the first fight, the ref stopped the fight from carrying on at a couple of points. Was that because your opponent was cowering?

Anyway, nice one!