A sword at last!

Posted by: tkd_high_green

A sword at last! - 01/20/07 11:18 PM

Well today was what will probably be my last colored belt tournament and I did quite well. Sparring I went up against my usual opponent, and as usual (fourth time now) I was thoroughly trounced. However we nicely traded places for patterns and I took gold. This of course meant that I had to compete for grand championship and amazingly enough, by 1/10th of a point, I WON!

How the heck did that happen???? lol Anyway, I took home a very nice trophy sword which looks really nice on top of my tv stand Anyone know how to tie a peace knot?

Anyhow, here are videos taken from the tournament. Hack away. I just uploaded them, so they may take a few minutes to finish processing.

Grand Championship Pattern

Sparring Round 1

Sparring Round 2

Laura
Posted by: student_of_life

Re: A sword at last! - 01/21/07 01:07 AM

congrats laura!!
Posted by: clmibb

Re: A sword at last! - 01/21/07 01:19 AM

good job on the competition! you guys do the sine wave much more pronounced than we do. try to work on locking out your side kick more. just enough to say in your head "one thousand one". on your sparring, try to be more aggressive. don't stop until after the ref tells you to stop. I saw a couple of times when she turned her back that you backed off to let her turn back around. NO beat her on the back of the head (if head shots are allowed) until the ref says to stop. Where's mcmillantkd? he's seen a sparring video of me recently. wonder if he can post it.... anyway it's late and I'm rambling, back on track. overall looked good. work on speed and aggression in sparring. Good job!

Casey
Posted by: MattJ

Re: A sword at last! - 01/21/07 10:54 AM

Excellent job, Laura! First place, that's great. I can't check the videos yet, but I can't wait to see them.

Re: A sword at last! - 01/23/07 08:34 AM

Ok, just watched everything. Nice job on the form, very crisp. I liked the round 1 sparring. That was a lot better than the other video that you put up a while back. I can see some improvement. You were more aggressive and using more combinations. IMO, you could stand to be even more aggressive - especially with that opponent.

Round 2 was not quite as good - you looked a bit lethargic with your strikes.

But overall, very nice, and good on you for putting up the videos for us!

Re: A sword at last! - 01/23/07 11:19 AM

Thanks guys for the feedback. Except for the side kick in my form, I was very happy with my overall performance of hwa-rang. Although, going back and watching the entire division, I think had I not been the last person to go, I probably wouldn't have won it. Luck of the draw I guess.

I felt better about my sparring performance as well this time around as well. I definitely fight harder when my opponent is doing the same. As for the second round, part of the problem I had was that she stuffed me pretty good with a side kick and knocked the wind out of me, so I was wheezing a bit for a good 20 or 30 seconds at least. I can just imagine what that kick would have done without the hogu!

Laura
Posted by: clmibb

Re: A sword at last! - 01/23/07 11:40 AM

I was wondering what happened. It looked like you backed WAY off for a little while. Now it makes sense.

Casey
Posted by: BrianS

Re: A sword at last! - 01/23/07 01:36 PM

I guess it would be polite for me to hold my tongue,but what the heck.

I don't want to hurt your feelings Laura. Have you watched any other schools shodans? I would put you at 6th kyu level at my school,seriously.

You might want to look into other schools in your area.

Re: A sword at last! - 01/23/07 03:22 PM

Brian,

I suppose I should keep my mouth shut...but what the heck. Your constructive criticism sucks. Rather than insulting my performance, my instructors teaching ability, and the quality of every black belt in my school, not to mention every other school in the area, maybe you should just focus on indicating areas in which I need to work and ways to do so, as other people have. Of course if that is the way your instructor talks to you, then you might want to look at another school.

Golly gee, I already know my sparring sucks. I lost didn't I? but then again, I'd like to see how you'd do against someone a foot taller than you, oh, and you're only allowed to kick with your right leg too.

Now as for patterns, aside from the crappy side kick, and I will be the first to admit that it was crappy, but aside from that it was a damn fine pattern if I do say so myself. It was good enough to take grand champion, which means it was better than every other adult colored belt pattern at the tournament. Huh, dunno about you, but it sounds to me like my instructor must be doing something right.

I don't know about you Brian, but I bet there are things that those lower ranked than you can do better than you, and things you can do better than some of the higher ranked students at your school. Everyone is different, and judging a school based on three minutes of video of one student isn't exactly fair. There is nothing equal about rank even in the same school. Everyone has their strengths and weaknesses. I would personally be just as happy being a green belt at another school as I am about testing for my black belt next week at my school.

The fact is, I train hard and to the best of my abilities, and I am constantly pushed and challenged to do better, and frankly thats all that matters.

Now, if you'd like to post some constructive criticism, be my guest

Laura
Posted by: butterfly

Re: A sword at last! - 01/23/07 03:37 PM

Woah Laura! Whenvever one puts anything up on a public forum you get alccolades or criticism. And you open yourself up to that very fact if you present yourself here and should be willing to suck up approval....or not. Or why post it?

Re: A sword at last! - 01/23/07 03:47 PM

I was taking offense to the complete lack of constructive feedback and the implied insult to my school and instructor.

If you notice I did not get upset at Casey or Matts feedback because they gave me specific items I could work on, not just "you suck, your school sucks, your instructor sucks" etc.

Laura

Re: A sword at last! - 01/23/07 03:50 PM

Quote:

I suppose I should keep my mouth shut...but what the heck. Your constructive criticism sucks. Rather than insulting my performance, my instructors teaching ability, and the quality of every black belt in my school, not to mention every other school in the area, maybe you should just focus on indicating areas in which I need to work and ways to do so, as other people have. Of course if that is the way your instructor talks to you, then you might want to look at another school.

My constructive criticism does suck. I really don't know how to do it well. i'm just naturally abrasive. My instructor and I have been friends for a very long time. Any way he wants to talk to me or discipline me has been fine so far. He is pretty abrasive as well.

Quote:

Golly gee, I already know my sparring sucks. I lost didn't I? but then again, I'd like to see how you'd do against someone a foot taller than you, oh, and you're only allowed to kick with your right leg too.

If I find someone who is nearly 6'3" who wants to spar I'll let you know. I have sparred people much taller and heavier though,it's part of it. I'd train somewhere else if I had silly limitations like "right leg only" shi'ite.

Quote:

Now as for patterns, aside from the crappy side kick, and I will be the first to admit that it was crappy, but aside from that it was a damn fine pattern if I do say so myself. It was good enough to take grand champion, which means it was better than every other adult colored belt pattern at the tournament. Huh, dunno about you, but it sounds to me like my instructor must be doing something right.

If you are going to be shodan your basics should at least be sharp. Your "horse stance" was just as terrible as your kicks and I won't even get into the "sine wave" malarkey.

Grand champion means very little to me,just a title to keep you coming back to spend your money on "training". I hate tournaments for that reason and many others. They are just self grandizing BS centered around making money.

Quote:

I don't know about you Brian, but I bet there are things that those lower ranked than you can do better than you, and things you can do better than some of the higher ranked students at your school. Everyone is different, and judging a school based on three minutes of video of one student isn't exactly fair. There is nothing equal about rank even in the same school. Everyone has their strengths and weaknesses. I would personally be just as happy being a green belt at another school as I am about testing for my black belt next week at my school

The hardest I was ever hit was by a greenbelt. Belts mean very little to me.

I know that everyone is different,but you put up the videos and did the bragging. Therefore you are open to the criticism.

I have not put any videos up and I hope I can someday, right now I just don't have the means to do so.

I can not do things better than any of the higher ranks at my school,but I do get your point.

I still suggest looking around at other schools.

The sparring - 01/23/07 04:07 PM

Lordy lordy.....

Laura,

You have got to keep your hands up!! Especially when you are pressing straight forward. Use your angles,set those kicks up don't just telegraph them from the jump!! Move your head more. Use feints, remember... low then high, use combos,move your feet!!

The guy you sparred totally sucked. He kept flinging his hands straight out when he threw what looked like should have been a kick of some sort. Kind of like his first day and they just threw him in there at the last minute. Hands were down the entire time!!! Punch the head like you mean it! Don't fling it out there without intention,ever!!

Re: A sword at last! - 01/23/07 04:25 PM

Quote:

I'd train somewhere else if I had silly limitations like "right leg only" shi'ite.

Training somewhere else wouldn't change my ability to kick with my left leg. I injured my foot as a yellow belt, and it keeps getting re-injured just when its almost finally healed. Its taken months to regain any ability to balance and strength in that foot, and I physically cannot do more than tap something with the instep, nor do I really care to stick it out where someone else can whack it.

Quote:

Your "horse stance" was just as terrible as your kicks and I won't even get into the "sine wave" malarkey.

huh, in what way? I'm assuming you are referring to the first move in my pattern and not mistaking another move for it. My feet were the proper "shoulder width and a half apart" I agree that my feet were tilted out a bit, but then I don't agree that the feet should be straight forward, as I find it very hard on the knees. In what way do you think it needs improving? Constructive feed back means you indicate the "why its bad" and the "how to fix it" not just "its bad"

Quote:

Grand champion means very little to me,just a title to keep you coming back to spend your money on "training". I hate tournaments for that reason and many others. They are just self grandizing BS centered around making money.

I'm sorry you've had such bad experiences at tournaments. I compete because I enjoy it. I enjoy the competition and meeting new people and getting the opportunity to spar against other people. Win or loose it doesn't matter, but I can't help but feel good when I do well. Put me in a ring where several very well respected instructors are judging me on my performance and yes I feel good when they tell me I've done good.

Quote:

you put up the videos and did the bragging. Therefore you are open to the criticism.

As I mentioned before, I have no problem with criticism, I have a problem when its not constructive.

Quote:

I still suggest looking around at other schools.

I have looked, I not only know most of tkd instructors in the area, but most of them know me on a first name basis. One of the many benefits of going to tournaments and helping out. However, I have a fantastic instructor who knows how to teach, who I like and respect. who constantly pushes me to improve and challenges me. I'm not going anywhere else any time soon.

Laura

Re: The sparring - 01/23/07 04:27 PM

Quote:

You have got to keep your hands up!! Especially when you are pressing straight forward. Use your angles,set those kicks up don't just telegraph them from the jump!! Move your head more. Use feints, remember... low then high, use combos,move your feet!!

The guy you sparred totally sucked. He kept flinging his hands straight out when he threw what looked like should have been a kick of some sort. Kind of like his first day and they just threw him in there at the last minute. Hands were down the entire time!!! Punch the head like you mean it! Don't fling it out there without intention,ever!!

See I knew you could do better This is what I was looking for in the way of feedback. btw its a she not a he. Thank you.

Laura

Re: A sword at last! - 01/23/07 05:07 PM

Laura,

It is hard to make constructive criticism based on your pattern. Every school teaches it different. Some stances are wider,lower,etc.. I can say that the transitions in movement were not crisp and the movements were robotic instead of flowing. Every move was seperated from the previous or the latter. You already recognize you need to work on your kicks,that's good.

How long have you practiced this pattern?
Posted by: Ed_Morris

Re: A sword at last! - 01/24/07 12:54 AM

I didn't watch it all since I'm never really sure what TKD is all about from a technical standpoint. I just don't see anything in the Art useful to my studies.

but from a standpoint of clubs that I've seen where the main mission is to build confidence, self-esteem, character, etc ...I will say, you do seem to be building a whole lot of that!

ok seriously...the only practical advice I can give is that you should watch your weight. I remember 6 months or so ago you posted a video and it looks like you've grown a bit even from then. I'm not being mean, just honest. sometimes people have ailments and whatnot that prevents them from rigorous exercise...I understand that - even if thats the case, it's still sound and general advice to recommend trimming down if at all possible.

(ps. Reiki might be able to help you with the peace knot )
Posted by: eyrie

Re: The sparring - 01/24/07 01:36 AM

Hmmm.... after the tongue lashing Brian got... I thought maybe I should keep my mouth shut.... but I couldn't help myself....

First the obligatory niceties...

Very brave of you to put up your videos Laura... good effort.... er... keep working at it... really...

Now, the not so niceties...

1. More work on developing leg strength and flexibility would go a long way.

2. More work on your balance and stability would be crucial to making further progress.

3. Try not to over compensate your lack of power by using muscular force from the shoulders. Power comes from the hips, remember? But more importantly, from ground to hip... so losing contact with the ground at the moment you throw the punch out reduces your ability to generate power.... from the ground.

4. Get your guard up when sparring. When wearing body armor, it is easy to get complacent... until you cop a side kick in the chest... but you already know that... now.

5. Don't bounce around so much.... I know it's the done thing in TKD, but it's a waste of energy. Rather, wait for the opening. Use footwork more, and work the angles more. Find the opening, create the opening.

And now, the brutal truth...

I didn't watch the whole sparring videos... I couldn't bear to watch anymore. When I saw your form, I thought to myself, I hate to think what the other contestants were like... Sorry... but I'm with Brian on this.... and I thought he was actually being nice... by being brutally honest.

You know, he could have done the very Asian thing and praised you openly, whilst laughing behind your back....
Posted by: Mr_Heretik

Re: A sword at last! - 01/24/07 01:48 AM

I think it'd be good to work on your counters. Instead of letting them strike you, and then you strike back, try to work on your timing so you can intercept them instead of blocking and giving them a chance to back away.

Whenever your opponent did a hopping kick, her arms would fling out to the sides and leave her wide open, which you could have taken advantage of.
Posted by: hedkikr

Re: A sword at last! - 01/24/07 02:10 AM

I think that this forum is a great source of info, feedback & discussion. Posting your vid w/ the tag-line "A sword @ last!" says very clearly that you were proud of your accomplishment - I don't believe that you don't care (win or lose).

Competition can be a good thing if it's used as a training tool (getting out of your small pond to compare yourself w/ & learn from others in a bigger pond) but the whole thing has gotten out of control. The promoters make lots of money ("Hey, nice Lexus!") & the competitors get to become "Grand Champion" (Oooh!).

I have to agree that within your big pond, the competition is a very low quality product. The girl that beat you in sparring was comprable to 6 or 7 Kyu in my school. Not trying to be harsh but it's true. And by default, if your instructor isn't able to recognize this, all of his students will fail to reach higher than mediocrity.

I've known & trained under many "masters" (they are Sensei or known by their 1st names - I won't name-drop but butterfly & ed morris know who) whose abilities far exceed mine. Their best students also put me to shame. It's too bad you haven seen beyond your cloistered world. But if you had, I'm certain you would have felt cheated by your instructor for having you believe he was a "master".

I guess that's what you get from budo-in-a-box teaching systems.

BTW: If your instructor was so great, he should be giving all the advice you need to improve. In truth, what can we tell from a vid clip other than generalities?

But to your credit, I believe your heart is in the right place. Keep training & don't give up. Maybe you'll eventually break-out of your microcosm.

owari

Re: A sword at last! - 01/24/07 02:39 AM

International competition: (2 different big ponds)

TKD

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJINTL2dGRA

Karate

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtTzOC6OsvM
Posted by: JohnL

Re: A sword at last! - 01/24/07 10:08 AM

Hey Laura

I'll admit that I don't have extensive knowledge of TKD Kata but I have seen them performed at the World games a couple of times. When you posted your vids, I assumed that the belt you were wearing represented a low Kyu grade and didn't realise that it was a senior division.

As you know from previous postings, I recommend competing as a method of development. It takes you outside your comfort zone and can simply be great fun.

Comments (Hopefully constructive)

Kata
In a horse stance I understand that you may prefer to have your feet turned out but in yours the knees aren't in alignment with your feet. I'd suggest you eithr widen the knees or narrow the stance to work for you.

In your punches, you need to adjust the alignment of your wrist. On some punches it seems to be bent downwards which is poor form and if you develop it into a habit, it'll hurt when you punch someone.

It wasn't just the side kick that was poor, the roundhouses were as well. They didn't get far enough around to either be effective or show correct form. I think this is because you're not rotating your hips/body with the kick and that's tending to hold your legs back.

(I'll also admit that I don't find TKD forms particularly aesthetically pleasing, hey I'm into karate so what would you expect, but what's with all the up and down squatting!!)

Sparring
Aside from the technical problems in your sparring, you need to work on a number of issues relating to sparring.

Basic Movement - Your current movement is slow and fairly stagnent. It needs to be lighter and when you do move, more dynamic. There was no commitment to moving in any way that would create opportunities to throw techniques.

Distance - You appear to have little appreciation of sparring distance. Either to establish it, move inside it, or maintain it. I suggest you work on the basic movement first and then start applying it to an understanding of distance.

Timing - You currently do not have any. The techniques that you threw were done so without regard as to whether they would hit or where your opponent was or where they were going to be when your technique arrives.

Tempo - There was no variation. You established a speed at which you were going to do the sparring (pretty slow) and kept it throughout. To be effective you should work on changing the tempo of the sparring.

Where I train and where I trained before in London, we welcome visitors to our club. WE ask them to wear their own belt whatever that may be. If you walked into my club on a sparring night with a senior belt on, given the limited nature of the vids posted, you'd be given a severely hard time by the mid Kyu grades. I say this not to upset you or denigrate what you're doing in any way, but to suggest as others have done, that you look at other clubs in the area to expand your comparison.

You have the guts (and yes it takes that) to both enter competition and to post the vids on the web. I have no doubt you'll have a similar attitude to taking advice.

Re: A sword at last! - 01/24/07 10:45 AM

Quote:

How long have you practiced this pattern?

I started working on this pattern about a year ago, but I've been working heavily on my highest pattern, Chung-mu, for the last 6 months or so. I chose to do Hwa-rang because my foot was bothering me and I didn't feel that the jump 360 and flying side kick would be very good for it.

Quote:

the only practical advice I can give is that you should watch your weight.

Must be the camera My weight hasn't changed significantly in months although that is one of my biggest focuses right now. I used to weigh over 300 lbs when I first started tkd, so the 220 I'm at right now is still pretty good. I've been able to maintain that weight for a couple of years now, and am now just getting to the point where that doesn't feel good to me. I train 5 nights a week for an hour or an hour and a half depending on the night, and I'm usually drenched and exhausted by the time I'm done, plus horseback riding on the weekends (weather permitting).

Quote:

1. More work on developing leg strength and flexibility would go a long way.

2. More work on your balance and stability would be crucial to making further progress.

I agree completely, and this is also something I've been working very hard on. I did several months of physical therapy for my ankle which I still do at home, and which has improved my balance significantly. When I first started doing side kicks in my patterns, I actually fell over several times because I had no strength whatsoever in that ankle. As for stretching, I have really good front kick flexibility, but crappy side kick/turning kick flexibility. I'm making progress, but its not nearly as fast as I'd like. however, if you look at my previous videos that I've posted, you should be able to see some difference. At least I can.

Quote:

A sword @ last!" says very clearly that you were proud of your accomplishment - I don't believe that you don't care (win or lose).

Yes I am proud, but I wouldn't have been upset if I had lost, I know, because I loose a lot. It feels good to win, but I'm not there to win, I'm there to have fun, and try to learn something at the same time. I've competed for grand champion at least 4 times prior and not won.

Quote:

Their best students also put me to shame. It's too bad you haven seen beyond your cloistered world. But if you had, I'm certain you would have felt cheated by your instructor for having you believe he was a "master".

Please be careful. First off, you don't know my instructor or his abilities or any of the other students at my school, and its unfair to mcdojo my school just because of one students performance. My instructors abilities far exceed mine, and makes even our best students look like beginners. Those students who are higher ranked than I am are also significantly better than I am as I expect it to be.

Quote:

BTW: If your instructor was so great, he should be giving all the advice you need to improve.

Who said he hadn't? In truth, he was the center ref, and not only did we discuss the match briefly right after the competition, but we've sat down and watched the video together and discussed it quite a bit. I posted because I had fun, made progress, and thought I would share it with others with the same passion. Plus since I've talked about this opponent on here before, I thought I'd share in case anyone was interested.

Quote:

The promoters make lots of money ("Hey, nice Lexus!") & the competitors get to become "Grand Champion" (Oooh!).

Hrm, I didn't see anyone driving a lexus, and frankly at this point, our organization is still new enough that we are still paying of the mats and computer equipment. Add in the cost of paying for the venue, medic, medals and trophies adds up very quickly. Not to mention, organizing and running a tournament takes months of preparation and tons of volunteer help to be successful.

Quote:

When you posted your vids, I assumed that the belt you were wearing represented a Kyu grade and didn't realise that it was the Black Belt division.

It was a red belt division, NOT a black belt division.

Quote:

It wasn't just the side kick that was poor, the roundhouses were as well. They didn't get far enough around to either be effective or show correct form. I think this is because you're not rotating your hips/body with the kick and that's tending to hold your legs back.

The turning kicks were supposed to be to the 45, not straight ahead, if that helps.

Quote:

In your punches, you need to adjust the alignment of your wrist. On some punches it seems to be bent downwards which is poor form and if you develop it into a habit, it'll hurt when you punch someone.

Can you give me a specific move where I'm doing this? Thanks. I'm having trouble spotting it on the video myself.

As for all of the other feedback, I thank you for taking your time and I will try my best to incorporate it into my training. Thank you.

Laura

Re: A sword at last! - 01/24/07 11:33 AM

Appreciate your meta-feedback.

Re: A sword at last! - 01/24/07 02:35 PM

Laura, it's great you dropped 80 lbs. you need to lose another 80.
I think thats the main thing you'll find as a problem in your training. for instance, you'll never get those side kicks right until you get that big'ol'butt out of your own way.

uh-oh...did I just say that? lol j/k

Re: A sword at last! - 01/24/07 02:57 PM

Ed -

That was very rude. There were other, better ways to put that. Being truthful is not a license to be an ass.

Re: A sword at last! - 01/24/07 03:03 PM

yeah I know...it came out wrong so I changed it. sometimes humor doesn't always translate well....I grew up and hang with women that think 'fat-arse' jokes are funny.
Posted by: butterfly

Re: A sword at last! - 01/24/07 03:12 PM

Come on Ed! Those jokes might hold more merit if your sister wasn't a damned fine body builder.

As it was, you at least recognized a limit to your statements.

Re: A sword at last! - 01/24/07 03:15 PM

Quote:

Laura, it's great you dropped 80 lbs. you need to lose another 80.

I agree completely, and that has always been my intention. It just takes time for your mental image of yourself to catch up with you. I don't know if you've ever lost a significant amount of weight, but for me, loosing those first 80 lbs was liberating, I could do things I had never been able to do. I'm wearing clothing 10 sizes less than before, and for a long time that was enough. I felt good, I was able to do everything I wanted to do, but I also had to learn how my body works again. My balance was badly affected (this was before I hurt my foot), I was straining muscles because I was flexing them past their limits which had previously been checked by my weight, etc. So I made the decision to stop loosing weight for a while, and to just maintain my weight as it was to give my body a chance to catch up. I have started to loose weight again, but I am taking it slower, so hopefully my body will be able to keep up with the changes without causing me injury at the same time. The good thing is that it has meant that I've been able to learn exactly what foods and quantities cause me to loose or gain weight.

Oh and Ed, no harm done on the weight comment, I can take a good hit, I have plenty of padding

Quote:

You seem like a person who thrives off of attention and praise

Nah, just feedback, good or bad as long as its constructive.

Laura

Re: A sword at last! - 01/24/07 03:50 PM

good stuff. ...hey, no retaliations on my hairline! lol

Re: A sword at last! - 01/25/07 08:58 AM

No need Ed, I bought a good pair of sun glasses several months ago, and thats taken care of the glare

Laura
Posted by: Midnightcrawler

Re: A sword at last! - 01/25/07 06:51 PM

Laura,

Congratulations in losing all that weight, that is a magnificent achievement, I hope you're proud of yourself. Well done and best wishes for reaching your overall target. It makes my desire to lose 10lbs look like nothing.

MC.

Re: A sword at last! - 01/26/07 10:54 AM

Thanks and good luck on reaching your weight loss goal as well.

Laura

Re: A sword at last! - 01/26/07 03:12 PM

So now that you've been throught the "gauntlet" (after all, you did write "Hack away" in your initial post), what did you learn in regards to the level of competition & where you stand? What is the sword worth (metaphorically speaking)/ What does it represent?

The reason I ask is because many, many years ago, I entered Kata & Kumite divisions @ the USAKF (pre-USA/NKF) Regional Qualifiers. This included 8 western states - Top-8 locals (southern California) qualified for Regionals - I was 7th. Didn't place in Kata (my strength) but took 3rd in Kumite. This qualified me for the National Team.

The first 2 bouts were close w/ excessive contact (on both sides) that eventually DQ'd my opponents. I got lucky. I don't remember the next bout. So when I came up to fight for 3 vs 4th place, I was nervous because The guy I was to fight was better than me (I was watching him all along). He scored 1 pt. early on & I was in defense mode. Somewhere along the way I decided to try a newly acquired technique (hook-kick to head) & to my amazement, it was absolutely perfect - timing, speed, target - 2 points, Time & Win! To all readers, I admit it was a lot more luck than skill. That's the reason this is only the 3rd time I've told that story.

I was a new BB & I could have worn that medal everywhere but I knew the truth that I was really only a local 7th place finisher. (& yes, there were more than 7 competitors @ locals)

owari

Re: A sword at last! - 01/26/07 04:16 PM

hrmmm. good question.

I look at tournaments and competitions as a learning experience. I am less concerned about winning or loosing, but just about going out there and giving my best and maybe learning something. I usually have the misfortune of small divisions, adult female competitors are rare. I would much rather have a larger division or for that matter get thrown in with the guys for more of a challenge. I'm not afraid of loosing or getting hurt, and the harder the competition, the better I perform and the more I learn.

Patterns competitions, while I am competing against someone else, I am also competing against myself. I keep track of how I score, and try to do better at each tournament. If I get lucky enough to get it recorded, I check for proper techniques, balance, timing, etc, and see if I am making progress.

Sparring competitions as well. I compare videos to see if I've improved, if my control is better, my kicks higher/faster, better combinations, etc. Sometimes I get lucky and have an opponent that isn't as skilled. When that happens, I take the opportunity to try new things, which makes it harder for me, and more fair for them.

In a lot of ways, this competition was special. While I will continue to compete against many of the same people in the future, this will more than likely be my last colored belt competition. From here on in, I will be at the bottom of the totem pole, out matched and out classed by most everyone I will be competing against. It may have been hard before, but I know it is only going to get harder, not only in competition, but in my training as well.

Doing well in this competition was very gratifying because it closes out my colored belt experience on a positive note, and it represents the hard work and time I put into it to get here. Maybe I'm not that good in the grand scheme of things, but I did win, I did my best, and I know that my best is a hell of a lot better than the first time I ever competed. For me, just getting out there and competing and giving everything I have to that competition is victory enough.

Getting put through the "gauntlet" on here just goes to show what I have in store for myself in the years to come and re-enforces the fact that I still have a great deal to learn, and I look forward to the challenge.

Does that answer your question?

Laura

Re: A sword at last! - 01/26/07 09:33 PM

Correction:
"This qualified me for the National Team."

No, Top 8 qualified to enter the USA National Championships. Then Top 3 would have made up the USA National Team for the WUKO World Cup. (I was a long way from National Team).

I've put competition aside for the more practical side of karate but I want my students to gain the experience of facing unknown opponents, their own fear & have fun. It also makes for some good stories.

You were only partially correct re: pattern competition:
Quote - "Patterns competitions, while I am competing against someone else, I am also competing against myself.". A truer remark is that in Pattern competition, you're competing against the judges. Ex: Being a National Champ makes you both a "seeded" favorite as well as target of those who wish you dethroned.

As you noted, earlir competitors usually rack-up lower scores while those @ the end get higher scores. Why? Well, initially, when the judges are fresh, taking their job seriously & have fewer competitors to remember, the scores reflect their knowledge & they're inclined to "set the bar".

But as the day/event wears on, they get tired, apathetic & their heads swim trying to remember how they scored earlier. These are what we call Bad Judges (sorry, no clever name - this could be a separate thread altogether).

Other factors influencing kata scores are:
> Does the judge know the kata?

> Does he/she know your style's variation?

> Is he/she trying to appear to be an "expert" (always giving the lowest scores because it's never good enough for his/her "high stanndards")?

> Is he/she inconsistant w/ scores due to trying to emulate more seasoned judges (they're always a second or two later than the head judge and/or fumbling w/ the score cards)?

Hopefully, you now have a more accurate view of your skills as defined by your tournament video.

owari