my TKD tournament result report

Posted by: Supremor

my TKD tournament result report - 11/19/06 07:22 AM

Hey guys, on 18th Novemeber I took part in an ITF Enlgish Junior championships(under 18s), I was just about eligible to compete- I turn 18 in 2 weeks. I was competing in patterns and sparring.

So the results at short hand, were a bronze in patterns and a gold in sparring. But here's a more expansive report:

Patterns: The patterns competition seems to get harder every year, and the standard is quite phenomenal. It's great to see other practitioners do so well, showing their hard work and dedication. I was able to win one round, and felt very pleased with my pattern (hwa-rang) since I was competing against a black tag doing Choong-mu, who was quite sharp as well. I then lost to a very good black tag, who was able to do the flying side kick in Choong-mu, then land with the leg still fully extended- absolutely stunning! He went on to win, and I know that I did a very good pattern, so I was very pleased to win bronze.

Sparring: As I've said, I was probably the oldest in the category, and was also just half a kilo inside the weight limit (65kilos/ just over 10stone). Unfortunately for the other competitors, I was really relaxed and felt pretty confident. I didn't have any of the nerves or adrenaline pump that I usually have. First guy- a red tag and a bit taller than myself- I beat pretty easily. I kick him around a bit, without scoring any points, but he is not even able to throw a kick in response, then I follow up a side kick with a jab-cross to his head- two points to me. Knowing he is behind, he comes forward, and I bang him in the side with a side-kick, which takes most of the fight out of him. Then I relax and move round him, just using my front leg to keep him at range.

Second opponent is a red belt who is a bit smaller and looks a few pounds lighter than myself. I can't remember exactly what happened, but I jabbed him in the head a few times and side kicked him in the ribs (he had to take a time-out after one of those), and just missed a reverse turning kick to his head. Once more, I don't get hit once.

Last chap is a guy from my own school, a black tag, but a fair bit lighter than myself and a bit smaller too. We throw a few kicks at each other, and he has great spinning kicks, which luckily my guard is able to deal with quite easily. I probably hit him with a side kick and gave him trouble dealing with my punch combinations. Then, the best moment of my sparring was a byclicle front leg downward kick that landed right on the guys nose and made him stumble over. After that I was able to take it pretty easy again, and won as expected.

So I won the division, and I didn't get hit in the head once, so I was pretty happy, although I can't decide whether it was my skill or the other's lack of it that enabled nme to win the division. I think my strong guard had something to do with it; most of the other guys had a terrible habit of holding their hands a bit loosely or even dropping them- especially as they kicked, enabling me to bang pretty easily, while they hit nothing but glove. My superior strength(I weight train regularly) also had something to do with it, I was much faster and could hit harder, making opponents think twice before coming forward.

So, report over- I woke up the day after, and luckily, I feel absolutely fine- no bruises, no muscle soreness, nothing.
Posted by: Prizewriter

Re: my TKD tournament resultport - 11/19/06 09:52 AM

Congrats! Sounds like it could not have went any better.

Good defence will take you far. It is the basis for any competitive martial art IMO. If they can't hit you, they can't beat you!

Weight training, when done properly will always help.

Glad you had such a good experience in your swansong with the juniors. Next up... the big guys ! You'll be facing disgruntled accountants with stubble and mortgages. ARE YOU READY?

Can I ask, is it ITF or TAGB that you do?
Posted by: Supremor

Re: my TKD tournament resultport - 11/19/06 09:57 AM

it's ITF
Posted by: MattJ

Re: my TKD tournament result report - 11/19/06 11:08 AM

Excellent job, Supremor! Congrats on the sparring victories, very impressive. Good on you for working on your guard so much. Sounds like it's paying off!
Posted by: Prizewriter

Re: my TKD tournament resultport - 11/19/06 11:52 AM

Oh right thanks! I use to do it with the TAGB. They teach the ITF syllabus, but are not associated with the ITF. But that is another thread...

Well done again.