The Results are in

Posted by: pepto_bismol

The Results are in - 06/05/06 01:10 AM

I competed and got second place in my division in the Oyama 2nd Annual West Coast Full Contact Karate Invitational at Mercy High School in San Francisco.

How it happened
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

I had on my blue belt, my white gi pants and my red gi top (red white and blue, LOL!) I stook out because me and my instructor were the only ones wearing colored uniforms, everybody else was wearing all white. So we stood out. They didn't allow punches to the side of the head so that bummed me out. Anyway the my first opponet was smaller then me and had a green belt and I controlled the match landing good punches, kicks and knocking him out of the ring.

The second guy I faced was a brown belt and he kept kicking me right above my knees (My legs are really built up so it didn't hurt at all, lucky for me he didn't know that)

The entire time he was kicking my legs I was landing solid reverse punches to his stomache. It was funny because his coach was screaming "JUST THREE MORE, HE CAN'T TAKE IT ANYMORE!" I felt like I could of took those weak kicks to the leg all day. Then I backed up and re-positioned my self and my opponets coach yelled "SEE, HE DOESN'T WANT IT!" Right after he said that I ran in and landed 3 solid reverse punches to his body. I then landed a front kick, and as he lifted his leg to do a kick I landed a really heavy side kick on his stomach gear and knocked him down.

Judges all said I won, we bowed etc.

Then we had to line up and bow in front of a bunch of people with cameras. I was awarded 5th place I was like... hey um, ya, I never lost... HOW EMBARRASING!

they said oh my god so sorry, your not rodony? I said "no I am the guy that beat rodney"

so they took back all of the trophies and had me fight a differant person for first place.

Me and the other guy were trading punches pretty well but I still had control of most of the round. I had one and a half points and he landed a clean kick to my head and got one point. Then we continued to exchange techniques and he kicked to my head, I blocked it and his leg hooked around my block and tapped my head gear and the judges said "POINT"

(When the ref. was announcing the rules they said that if the kick hooked around the persons block then it wasn't a point... oh well, refs can't see everything")

So we lined up again and I got second place, dissapointed that first place was only one block to the head away, but proud that I did so well at my first tournament. (second out of 7 and a lot of them outranked me)

If Oyama's site posts the winners for this year or pictures just remember that me and my instructor are the only guys with the red gi top

and the lesson I have once again learned from this tournament...

KEEP YOUR GUARD UP!

and the website for the tournament I competed in is
http://www.oyamakarate-sf.com/fighters.htm

I hope this tournament is the first of many
Posted by: Supremor

Re: The Results are in - 06/05/06 09:45 AM

Nice One!

Quote:

and the lesson I have once again learned from this tournament...

KEEP YOUR GUARD UP!

If you've learnt that, then I'd say the competition was well worth it.

It can be a pain when judges don't seem to be very consistent, or are just plain wrong- believe me I've been there. The thing to remember, is that unless you're competing at a national level, very often the judges are not that experienced and can get things wrong. Look at the daft judging in some of the K1 events, even some boxing bouts I've seen have ended with scores that I couldn't believe. The most important thing is that you competed as well as you could, and that you came away with some positive experiences and a few lessons to learn.

So well done, and take a day off for me!
Posted by: DLove

Re: The Results are in - 06/05/06 10:21 AM

Congrats, sounds like you had fun and got to learn something at the same time!!!
Posted by: TeK9

Re: The Results are in - 06/06/06 12:05 AM

Condatulations on your victory pepto, you had some hard stiff copetition on your first tournament and still you pulled through. Way to go.

You have to watch out for those hook kicks though, thats what they are for to get around your gaurd.