Try something new everytime?

Posted by: Mr_Heretik

Try something new everytime? - 02/18/06 04:33 PM

Lately, every time I spar, I try to make it different. Perhaps a different stance, use a technique I normally don't, maybe move around more or less than I usually do. I'm basically trying to find what I'm good at, since I lose too often. Is this a good way to find out what feels better or worse for me? Or are there drills to find out where my niche is? Then again...the more I lose, the more I seem to learn.
Posted by: MattJ

Re: Try something new everytime? - 02/18/06 06:27 PM

The fact that you are looking for new things to try is a very good sign. This will allow you to grow in the arts indefinitely.

Quote:

Then again...the more I lose, the more I seem to learn.

Very true. I am always "learning" things.
Posted by: RazorFoot

Re: Try something new everytime? - 02/18/06 11:53 PM

The fact that you constantly try and are learning as you go will benefit you tremendously. The more you spar, the better at reading movement, using your footwork, using proper timing, and distancing you will be. I wish there something like a pill you could take that would give you all the tools you need to be successful right away, but there isn't. Working hard, like you are doing, is the only way to find your own personal style that works best for you.

Good luck

Scottie
Posted by: ShangTsung

Re: Try something new everytime? - 02/19/06 08:16 AM

I think one of the main points of sparring is to try out new things and ideas.
Posted by: Fisherman

Re: Try something new everytime? - 02/19/06 06:45 PM

I'd agree. Trying new things, investing in loss, finding the things that work good for you and expanding upon those things until it all starts to come together.
To actually have a learned technique come off smoothly can be one of the most rewarding things that can come out of sparring.