Tag Team Sparring

Posted by: tkd_high_green

Tag Team Sparring - 02/07/06 01:57 PM

I just recieved the registration packet for the next tournament (USSSA TKD Regional Qualifier) I will be competing in. In addition to the standard events, this time they are having a "tag team sparring" competition. I haven't gotten the full rules yet as that information is being sent separately to our instructor, but from what was listed on the packet, it appears that it is a two person team (with an alternate allowed incase of injury), where each person must compete at least once during the match. My guess is that it will probably follow the same rules as the normal continuous point sparring, although they may take the tougher olympic style sparing rules. I'm curious to know if anyone has anyone participated in this style of event before, and if so, what you thought of it.

Laura
Posted by: Enray

Re: Tag Team Sparring - 02/07/06 02:06 PM

At the dojo I train at, we have 2 types of sparring. One on one and two on one. But we've never really had a tag team match.
Posted by: Shouji

Re: Tag Team Sparring - 02/25/06 12:38 AM

Man that sounds awesome, i'd love to try Tag Team.

Re: Tag Team Sparring - 02/27/06 11:13 AM

ok,
It appears that both Continuious Point and Olympic style events will be available at this tournament. Basically the same rules for a regular sparing match apply, with the addition of another round (2 instead of 3), and the requirement that each competitor must be in the ring for at least 15 seconds of each round. Two competitors per team, with an alternate allowed incase of injury. We've been practicing a bit in class, to prepare for the upcoming tournament (March 11'th) and it is a blast! We've already started to vary the rules a bit in class, number of members on a team, etc, and I expect that it will become a standard part of our sparing practice. I find it significantly more challenging to figure out a working strategy, because your opponent could change at any time.

One variation I'd like to try would be to split the class into two large teams. By having only two people fighting at a time, it's possible to maintain control and safety, but because anyone can be called in to fight at any time, everyone must remain alert. In a regular sparing match, the people not participating often don't pay attention to the current match (especially children waiting for their turn) With tag team sparing though you have to pay attention, or you won't be ready when its your turn. In addition, the energy and excitement levels appears to be significantly higher when we do this.

I do not know if I will be allowed to compete in this event because of division requirements. I'm still waiting to find out if we can have a mixed rank team. I will post again to let everyone know how the tournament went.

Laura

Re: Tag Team Sparring - 03/13/06 10:35 AM

Ok, that was a complete mess, and from what I've heard, the even will never be held again in our area. The woman running staging informed me that people showed up with completely mix match teams. i.e. one team consisted of a 6 year old yellow belt and a 10 year old red belt. I don't know what people were thinking. At least half the teams were disqualified for inappropriate rank/age pairings, and the ones that were left had very few other matching teams to compete against. When the few teams that matched up, did compete, it was complete chaos. The competetors were not trained on the proper rules for switching out team members. Ugh. Oh well. Still think its a great idea as a training excersize in class though.

Laura
Posted by: Subedei

Re: Tag Team Sparring - 03/18/06 09:09 AM

You know what I want to see? 4 on 4 matches like the used to do, you know, back in the day...1600