Do you ki-up in a tornoment?

Posted by: jamestkdkungfu

Do you ki-up in a tornoment? - 01/28/06 01:01 AM

I have noticed that in taekwondo tornoments the girls(no offense) are the only ones who ki-up so I was wondering does anyone besides me ki-up to scare an opponent when your in the pause in a fight?

Re: Do you ki-up in a tornoment? - 01/28/06 10:57 AM

ok ahh YELL REALLY loud
Posted by: TwistingKick

Re: Do you ki-up in a tornoment? - 01/28/06 11:35 AM

i personally don't. I dont think it has much value, but if it works for you keep it up. I always thought it was kihap though??

Re: Do you ki-up in a tornoment? - 01/28/06 03:22 PM

yeah i always do it scares the crap out of alot of people it even made a guy on the street stop fighting because he got the hint i was in martial arts...lol
Posted by: Chen Zen

Re: Do you ki-up in a tornoment? - 01/28/06 06:39 PM

Only when attacking. Not so much as loud, but low and guttural like a wild beast.
Posted by: funstick5000

Re: Do you ki-up in a tornoment? - 01/28/06 07:24 PM

i think he's asking about the jumping up thing not the kihap/kiai shout.

a ki-upwould be intimidating if i didn't understand what some was doing fully.

Re: Do you ki-up in a tornoment? - 01/28/06 10:46 PM

Quote:

i think he's asking about the jumping up thing not the kihap/kiai shout.

a ki-upwould be intimidating if i didn't understand what some was doing fully.

no i meant the kihi i love it i yell alot when i ground fight to at kindai bujitsu(new martial art only in nova scotia) it gives me a brust of power for some reason and im pretty skinny so a brust of power when ground fighting helps me lots i usaully get owned i need to work on that striking is easy to me
Posted by: TaeKwonMiles

Re: Do you ki-up in a tornoment? - 01/28/06 11:03 PM

1st) Not to be sexist but girls screaming and kicking at each other is hott
2) Why wouldnt you kihap in a sparring match. First of all, it gives you power. Second, it does distract you opponent (sometimes).
"If it doesn't give you more power, then it will put the fear of God into you opponent" - Master Robert Markus

My instructor also told me when he was younger, he was in a sparring match and he was tied up 2 to 2 and peson with 3 points wins. He said as soon as the ref said si jak, he charged at his oppenent screaming at the top of his lungs, making his opponent run out of the ring and in doing so won the match.

Thats what my instructor told me. Now people yelling at me in tournaments doesnt have an effect on me. I do it to others and sometimes it works sometimes it doesnt. Most of my teamates are ex military and are used to being screamed at so it doesnt have any effect on them but with a neverous competator, it should have some effect.
Posted by: Street_Poet

Re: Do you ki-up in a tornoment? - 01/29/06 04:27 AM

Quote:

i yell alot when i ground fight

LOL. *pictures grappling and yelling*

i dont yell at all when i do BJJ, but i do when i do stand-up sparring, only when the shot was good enough to cause a KO. seriously.

i CANT STAND people who just yell like psychos all the time regardless if their strikes even hit. i saw one dude fight and his strikes were like a 3 FEET away from his opponent and he was yelling like a maniac.

Re: Do you ki-up in a tornoment? - 01/29/06 03:58 PM

I dont yell all the time usually once a fight because it doesnt help the second time and you sound like a mindless manica but i do push the air out of my lungs just the same to many ppl try to hit the solarplex not to would be stupid
Posted by: onb

Re: Do you ki-up in a tornoment? - 02/01/06 05:19 PM

James,

I don't really Ki-up in the sparring component but I do in the pattern component. I think that I should start though. In a sparring match, you want the judges to be watching you and counting your hits, not your opponents. I think a well placed Ki-up here and there will bring their eyes back onto you. Ideally, if you make a yell everytime you are certain you just scored a hit, then it makes the counting easy for them.
Posted by: shurite44

Re: Do you ki-up in a tornoment? - 02/07/06 02:31 PM

Yes I do Kia or Kihap when I score in a tournament. It is ingrained in my training, I really don't have much choice at this point.

I do not try to Kia or Kihap during a lull in the moment. I do not find it useful against trained fighters.

I find the Kia also helps to call attention of the judges to the point. Some inexperienced judges have to be scared awake sometimes before they call points. Especially the corner judges.
Posted by: tkd_high_green

Re: Do you ki-up in a tournament? - 02/07/06 03:52 PM

I would say the opposite is the case. I'm used to using a ki-up when making a technique with full force. I find that if I am training for light contact, or control, then I forget to ki-up or one that doesn't carry any emphasis, just enough to get me out of being yelled at by my instructor lol. Same goes for a tournament. Also, I find the mouth guard makes it difficult to vocalize.

Laura
Posted by: funstick5000

Re: Do you ki-up in a tournament? - 02/12/06 06:11 PM

you could try making the noise with your throat rather than your mouth. its what i do and i barely have to open my mouth, then again after 10-20 kiais i can barely talk.
Posted by: Mr_Heretik

Re: Do you ki-up in a tornoment? - 02/18/06 04:30 PM

I don't really kihap...its more like "ergh" when I attack.
Posted by: Fisherman

Re: Do you ki-up in a tornoment? - 02/19/06 06:52 PM

Doesn't making noise alert someone of an impending attack?
Posted by: Mr_Heretik

Re: Do you ki-up in a tornoment? - 02/20/06 12:10 AM

Quote:

not before my telegraphic movements do

Re: Do you ki-up in a tornoment? - 03/12/06 05:47 AM

Quote:

why yes it would but a loud noise can also shock an opponent who is nervous it does work alot in tornoments but some of the more exsperecened fighters dont even blink so it all depends just try it as a fake it may work it may not...
Posted by: theoldone

Re: Do you ki-up in a tornoment? - 03/12/06 01:28 PM

Hehe...

I remember a student I once had. She was competing in a competition and was fighting an opponent who liked to clinch. Probably scared of getting kicked. So she clinched all the time. Didn't matter what you did. Didn't matter if she was the attacker or defender. After each kick, she clinched, effectively preventing my girl from kicking.

So, at the break, I told my student to shout when attacking and keep on shouting when the opponent clinched. And when in a clinch, to fake as if she's moving out to kick accompanied by a very loud shout within ear-shot of the opponent. This would make the opponent not so inclined to clinch.

And what did my student do? She kept yelling INTO the poor girls ears. Putting her mouth within inches of the poor girl and yelling INTO it. She got a few penalties for that.

At the next break, I had to tell her "No more yelling. No more yelling!"
Posted by: gregc618

Re: Do you ki-up in a tornoment? - 04/01/06 11:34 PM

I do.. I yell as loudly as I can in all my competitions. At the begining and end of my form, during the free spare comp each time I punch or kick, and a most definate loud ki-up when breaking!
Posted by: gregc618

Re: Do you ki-up in a tornoment? - 04/01/06 11:37 PM

Yeah it can, but they still have to figure out what is about to come at them.
Posted by: DLove

Re: Do you ki-up in a tornoment? - 04/11/06 12:53 PM

Now that I think about it, I make all kinds of noise, LOL!!! Matter of fact if I even think the other guy will be a challange right after the ring judge yells fight I will yell YEAH>>>>>> really loud, you would be amazed at what that alone can do to a person thats fixing to fight you in a competition, LOL!!
Posted by: Blaise

Re: Do you ki-up in a tornoment? - 04/28/06 10:00 PM

WOAH!

*Flashes back to moment about 5 years ago*

The instructor (she was just a stand-in until the main guy got in) was like YOU HAD BETTER SETTLE DOWN BEFORE I KIHAP! I thought she had said gi up and I was like...why would you uniform scare me? Except I didn't say that. And when everyone gave her a blank look she was like "don't act like you don't know what I'm talking about." So we were like...uhhh....ok...

5 years later....mystery solved! Yay.

This was at the after school program that I started out at before I went to the main school. fyi.