sparring tactics

Posted by: euan

sparring tactics - 12/09/05 06:44 PM

what kind of tactics do you use during sparring or fighting??not asking for a list of attaks u like but more things like feints and follow ups footwork tricks leaving openings etc so how do YOU use them and have u got any personal tricks u like to use that u dont mind sharing.just thought this would be a good thing to discuss thanxs
Posted by: trv

Re: sparring tactics - 12/09/05 07:36 PM

I sometimes switch to south paw. Through a few jabs, driving my opponent to his left. Sets up a jumping turnback heel kick.

Pretty effective.

Re: sparring tactics - 12/10/05 10:00 AM

why was this topic removed
Posted by: MattJ

Re: sparring tactics - 12/10/05 12:15 PM

It wasn't removed - it was moved to the appropriate forum.
Posted by: funstick5000

Re: sparring tactics - 12/10/05 08:09 PM

i flick my forward hand out while open (not in a fist or palm attack) at my opponents face to raise there gaurd and then use my back hand to their stomach because i can generate more power with it. i also bounce around a lot, i love the saying 'fly like a butterfly sting like a bee' and try to apply it as much as possible.
Posted by: fattts14

Re: sparring tactics - 12/12/05 04:27 PM

When shooting in I like to clinch and push against my opponent. He wiil push back, so when I drop for the shoot he is closing half of the gap for me. The sama principle can be applied to sweeps/reversals from the bottom. Pushing the opponent the opposite way you want him to go will make him push back the way you really want him to go, he rolls right into it.
That one is pretty basic.
Posted by: WuXing

Re: sparring tactics - 12/13/05 11:06 AM

You are counting on your opponent pushing back against you...what if he doesn't push back? I try to never use force against force. One of my favorite tactics in sparring is to yield to oncoming techniques, sidestepping and leading my opponent into a strike by controlling his arms. This also sets up a sweep/takedown and/or qin'na hold.

Re: sparring tactics - 01/11/06 05:16 PM

haha sorry matt my mistake. fattts im guessing that u r a judo player because i have been told to use that idea in judo by one of my mates(im very new to judo).during my sparring I try to keep my ditance and if a commited punch is thrown i will kick quickly to the chest while leaning back slightly to let the blow slip by which is a fun trick that has worked a few times for me also beating thier forward hand with you knuckes to provoke them to an angry less controleed attack.moving bak afew paces/slides/steps leting your opponent follow that bursting forward tend to catch people off guard. i also tend to wait for the opponent to attak and then i attempt to countetr pretty basic but i think quik counters are moer effective than staight out attacks when against ome one of the same kind of speed and power jst my thoughts cheers-i dont like switching stances too much as i feels it affects me more than them
Posted by: gojuwarrior1

Re: sparring tactics - 01/11/06 05:39 PM

I would tell you, but then i would have to kill you .
Posted by: Street_Poet

Re: sparring tactics - 01/23/06 12:15 AM

Quote:

what kind of tactics do you use during sparring or fighting??

depends on who im sparring/fighting with.

if a person is kicking too much, catch the kicks and punch, or catch and take down and grapple.

if a guy is trying to take it to the ground, bring in those knees when he shoots from a takedown, and keep moving, not backwards but sideways, keep the distance and dont kick unless u know its gonna hit hard and not get caught. or do alot of low kicks.

if the guy depends on punching heavily, keep the distance and kick, or block his punches and get in and strike and get out, or block his feild of vision with a strike and take him down.

and ya, basically u have to act accordingly to who your opponent is. i dont think i fight two people with the same style, its always constantly being modified to whoever im with.

i never ever start off a match with anything fancy, just keep it simple, get in a good tempo with footwork. they say the first person to throw the first punch/kick can get the momentum in the fight, so i usually throw the first strike. but it doesnt always work. ahhhh, in the end it doesnt matter, just make sure you arent goin wild and throwing your arms in circles and DO NOT LOSE YOUR BALANCE, keep your form and keep your chin down always, and do technique or do nothing at all.
Posted by: TaeKwonMiles

Re: sparring tactics - 01/23/06 09:34 PM

lead leg front kick(skipping)/skip front kick to the middle....(this lowers down there hands to block), with my front leg still "cocked", execute a back leg jump roundhouse kick to the face. Works almost every time
Posted by: aiuchi1

Re: sparring tactics - 01/31/06 06:24 PM

Quote:

lead leg front kick(skipping)/skip front kick to the middle....(this lowers down there hands to block), with my front leg still "cocked", execute a back leg jump roundhouse kick to the face. Works almost every time

what happens if they just move out of the way of your front kick, or if they are a WKF sport karateka they willprobably smother your front kick and throw a reverse punch. I would forget about jumping roundhouses etc unless you are very good and i mean elite (top 5% of world etc). Most people who think they can kick well normally a average kickers at best.
i would advise finding out which type of fighter you are such as :
attacking fighter
counter puncher
aggressive counter puncher (somebody who keeps eting up your space, by moving forward until they force you to do something).
i found that it was advantageous to fight in the same manner as your oppnent i.e. if fighting a counter puncher then wait for them to attack, which forces them to do something hey are not good at.
Posted by: Borrek

Re: sparring tactics - 02/01/06 08:56 AM

Here is one of my favorites. Its called "the timing of two" which is translated from Japanese but I'm not sure exactly what the term is.

This is based off of a one step attack, preferrably a reverse punch or something similar, not a kick. Basically it goes like this, when you drive towards your opponent, do so with great force so that he definitely reacts. In the middle of your lunge, pause for a tiny fraction of a second, then resume your step. It's sort of a stutter step. This will entirely throw off the timing of their defense and allow you to make contact with ease. This requires practice to get the stuttered step just right because it needs to be fluid and still lightning fast. Your opponent can't be given enough time to react to your real attack. Also, dont pause too soon or he will just ignore the feint.

This is a great technique against those opponents that seem to have tree trunks for legs and don't retreat. Unless flawlessly pulled off, this usually fails against people light on their feet. "Best defense, no be there"
Posted by: schanne

Re: sparring tactics - 02/01/06 11:25 AM

One of my favorites is while my opponent moves in a backwards/retreating motion and forgets to circle I do a sort of shuffle and it looks like I'm going to throw a front kick and when they lower their hands to parry I execute an axe/cresent kick to the face or chest area. Although....I did it to an expierenced MMA fellow not to long ago and he swept me right off my feet and landed right on my back. Dam... still don't understand how he saw it coming. Need to practice the deception part of the technique more.

Re: sparring tactics - 02/01/06 01:29 PM

i actually do the same idea with a roundhouse kick where i slow the kick down whilst it travels, which allows the defender a chance to block a kick that they think is travelling at normal speed and then when they retract the block they hopefully do not realise the kick is still travelling.

the only problem i can see is that some people might actually stop instead of adjusting their speed slightly for a split second, as this means they wil have lost all their momentum.
Posted by: Borrek

Re: sparring tactics - 02/01/06 06:13 PM

Quote:

One of my favorites is while my opponent moves in a backwards/retreating motion and forgets to circle I do a sort of shuffle and it looks like I'm going to throw a front kick and when they lower their hands to parry I execute an axe/cresent kick to the face or chest area. Although....I did it to an expierenced MMA fellow not to long ago and he swept me right off my feet and landed right on my back. Dam... still don't understand how he saw it coming. Need to practice the deception part of the technique more.

I do a sort of opposite there where I'll turn to my side and step across with my back foot as if setting up a side kick, and from the loaded stance I will either throw a side kick, crescent kick or just for fun sometimes a backhand.
Posted by: Crazy_Eyes

Re: sparring tactics - 02/08/06 02:20 AM

Quote:

i flick my forward hand out while open (not in a fist or palm attack) at my opponents face to raise there gaurd and then use my back hand to their stomach because i can generate more power with it. i also bounce around a lot, i love the saying 'fly like a butterfly sting like a bee' and try to apply it as much as possible.

I also fake a lot to the face then hit the body, it works well because the hands ALWAYS go up, guaranteed. And isn't the saying "Float like a butterfly, sting like a bee?" not fly? or maybe your taking your floating to the next level ok i'll stop being picky, but yes, staying light on your feet is definately a plus
Posted by: jkdwarrior

Re: sparring tactics - 02/08/06 06:45 AM

Quote:

I sometimes switch to south paw. Through a few jabs, driving my opponent to his left. Sets up a jumping turnback heel kick.

Pretty effective.

Does anyone else find this hilarious?
Posted by: Shorinjiryumike

Re: sparring tactics - 02/09/06 02:27 PM

Always always always, move to the flank and counter!

Re: sparring tactics - 02/10/06 04:32 PM

maybe he can do it, however i do no like jumping (getting too old, and plays havok with my knees)
i prefer reverse punch and also, no wait thats it i just like punching:)
Posted by: Crazy_Eyes

Re: sparring tactics - 02/13/06 01:31 AM

For hand techniques I would have to say over hand right, not sure if thats the right term, but when your oppenent jabs, punch over it and hit the oppening where their left hand should have been, works good if you are a taller guy.

ps, if you can understand what I mean from that sort of confusing post can someone tell me what that technique is called??
Posted by: Eduardo

Re: sparring tactics - 03/12/06 08:06 AM

Quote:

For hand techniques I would have to say over hand right, not sure if thats the right term, but when your oppenent jabs, punch over it and hit the oppening where their left hand should have been, works good if you are a taller guy.

ps, if you can understand what I mean from that sort of confusing post can someone tell me what that technique is called??

The way I interpret it, from a general fighting perspective, counterpunch seems about right. From a karateka's viewpoint (because I don't know what it is in TKD), it seems you're talking about something similar to but not exactly a hiji tsuri uke, or elbow sliding block, which is a block and punch rolled into one - you use your counter-punching arm, or the elbow of that arm to deflect your opponent's punch while trying to hit your opponent.
Posted by: Eduardo

Re: sparring tactics - 03/12/06 09:33 AM

Quote:

what kind of tactics do you use during sparring or fighting??not asking for a list of attaks u like but more things like feints and follow ups footwork tricks leaving openings etc so how do YOU use them and have u got any personal tricks u like to use that u dont mind sharing.just thought this would be a good thing to discuss thanxs

It's not easy to describe here, but I'll try (and I'll put in some techical terms for the benefit of those who are not familiar with karate terminology - it would be nice of those from other styles to do the same, so we can all learn more from each other....

These are a few of my favourites tactics and combos.
  • For combos, you can use the first attack as a feint to open up the mid-level, or use them in combination. I suggest you vary the levels and the order as well.
  • High roundhouse kick (jodan mawashi geri), followed by a mid-level side kick (chudan yoko geri) with the same leg, and then a jab (kizami zuki) or backfist (uraken uchi) with the forward arm, and a reverse punch (gyaku zuki).
  • High side kick followed by a mid- to low-level side kick (I find it easier to kick from high to low rather than low to high)
  • Step/hop towards your opponent (straight forward or forward to either side at an angle) throw a high jab, then a mid-level reverse punch, and a front-leg side (or front) kick or a back-leg roundhouse (or front) kick.
  • High jab, low reverse punch, low jab, high backfist, while moving sideways beteween each strike to create confusion.
  • If your opponent kicks high, use a rising block (age uke) while moving forward - if it's allowed - they'll usually fall, or at least be off balance for a while and that would be enough time to follow up with a sweep or takedown.
  • Similar to what many others have mentioned, but this one I learned from my computer opponents while playing Punch-Out!! and Super Punch-Out!!:chamber your punch (or kick), or pretend to lunge towards your opponent, and sometimes your opponent will react too early, giving you an opening...
  • If your opponent is taller, go for punches and takedowns, and if shorter go for kicks and sweeps.
  • Try to catch your opponent's arm or leg, and then pull it towards you while striking with a kick or the other arm (for additional practice for this, throw two tennis balls - one in each hand - against a wall and try to catch them).
  • With grappling, I have limited experience, and no formal training, but try to keep facing your opponent and keep your back away, and if your opponent happens to be behind you, turn quickly if you can.
  • Try to vary the locations of your strikes.
  • Pretend it's a real-life self-defense situation - just don't take it too seriously and hurt your opponent/partner too badly (maybe you can also pretend that you are only allowed to disable your opponent temporarily and not permanently).
  • Yell (kiai) or grunt or make some kind of sound before striking, and maybe lunge towards your opponent - it sometimes puts your opponent off-guard - just be ready to attack immediately, or to defend and counter.
  • Try to see your opponent as a whole, and don't focus on a specific area such as the chest, feet, hands, or the eyes. Be especially aware of your opponent's limbs. If you intend to strike at a specific area, strike there but look at another part of your opponent - where you want your opponent to think you'll strike.

...There are so many more possibilities.... they just need time, creativity and practice, and I've learned a lot from reading other posts and articles on this site. There's plenty of good information on these in the FightingArts Reading Room....

Oh, yeah - never ever attempt to kick someone a lot taller than you if the sparring is serious - unless your opponent is slow and your kicks are lightning fast or you intend to kick lower than your waste (or better yet - your knee). The risk of breaking your neck is too high and just not worth it....
  • Posted by: Dobbersky

Re: sparring tactics - 05/05/06 07:47 AM

I have a question, whether I am in the right thread is one, but I might get an answer. My Martial Arts history is via Muay Thai, Tang Soo Do, Atemi Jujitsu and Fighting Karate (SABAKI) I tend to adopt a Muay Thai Stance for Kumite and as result Shin Block Many Kicks form every angle. I don't at this moment wish to blend my styles at the moment unless the common sensus says I should.
    I was completing the Kumite for my next grade 2Kyu (I needed to pass this to grade, which I did), the Adults aren't that big in numbers at the moment, but I've seen these shrink and expand through the years as with other clubs, so I was Sparring with Kyu Grades and Dan Grades alike.
    My main point is, I got rear leg swept (whilst anticipating a Body kick with a typical Muay Thai Shin/Arm Block) by a (New Blood) white belt, (He'd trained in Shotokan before (previous grade unknown)) it was an excellent technique, but I was/am angry with myself that he managed to get that on me, Its been going through my mind for 4 days now and I need resolution, I underestimated my opponent, as I alway 'hold back' on lower Kyu grades (Allowing them to control the pace). Can anyone help? where am I going wrong, I've never been sweeped before from this stance.

Osu

Posted by: Stormdragon

Re: sparring tactics - 05/08/06 03:17 PM

I sometimes will crouch, cover up and pressure into my opponent while slamming hooks and uppercuts to their body. Sometimes I'll stay back and move in and out throwing a lot of consecutive jabs and straight rights. If my opponent is a charger I'll keep them at long range with hard front kicks and side kicks and some round house kicks. I also like to get in close and do a lot of trapping wing chun style. And I do a lot of clinching, while following with knees or takedowns.
    Posted by: theoldone

Re: sparring tactics - 05/08/06 05:47 PM

Dobbersky,

Not sure about the specifics of your situation, so this would be kind of generalized. Why shin-block when you can move the target out of the way? Or jam their kicks by moving in and/or at an angle away from the direction of the incoming kick?

The way I see it, unless you really condition (read harden) your legs the way MT fighters do, you'll just end up with a lot of bruises and maybe some injury down the line. Sure, if you're still young, you can withstand the pain, but when you get older, you just might feel the effects.

I have personally seen someone's leg break from blocking a kick (it was more like a clash of legs rather a full-powered intentional kick). The attacker tried to throw a roundhouse and the the defender lifted his leg up. Somehow the angle of the kick was such that it landed on the side of the defender's lower leg, hitting both the tibia and fibular square on, and the leg broke. The defender fell down, his right leg at a 90 degree angle towards his knee, connected only by muscles. Wasn't pretty.

As for your getting swept down, the problem wasn't your technique. It was making assumptions about what your opponent would do. And you also assumed that kicks were always directed at a body target *because* you had that handy shin-block for defense. Meaning you had a hammer and saw every thing as a nail.

Assume nothing. Try experimenting with changing that shin-block to a less punishing defense technique.
    Posted by: Dobbersky

Re: sparring tactics - 05/09/06 08:03 AM

Thanks Guys,
    I really appreciate you words of advise, I agree totally with what you say.
    The one thing is, I will have to re-learn how to 'fight'. I have decided that I must go back to the source (traditional Karate) to do so.
    I will continue with Ashihara Karate (AK) and Atemi Jujitsu (AJJ), but I will replace Krav Maga with Wado Ryu Karate (this is the only style, which has an excellent pedigree, close to my home and has lessons on days I can attend) as most techniques from 'Krav Maga' can be found in 'AK' and my 'AJJ'.
    Therefore it looks like I'll be doing 100's of sit-ups, for each time I try to shin Block, until it is replaced with something less punishing.
    I will have to begin again to achieve resolution.

Posted by: Revanus

Re: sparring tactics - 05/10/06 09:10 AM

I have some nice ones ( i think)

* First, go right, your opponent will follow up by going to the opposite direction. Then go left, midway from right to left, attack. Why? Because while travelling from side to side with your opponent doing the same, the distance is shortened by about 50 cm midways, plus he/she won't be expecting an attack in the middle of a side-to-side movement.

(Anybody figured that one out?)

* The second the match starts, attack. I prefer to slam a mawashi-geri yodan in from the right, the opponent won't be excpecting it and looks like he/she have seen a ghost when the kick hits... ---> Remember kiai!!!

* When the opponent attacks with a lunge punch, step back and go for a ura-mawashi yodan to the same hand side he/she punches with. (If he punches with right hand, go left and kick to the right side of his/her head and visa-verca) The opponent may also be out of balance after missing with the punch too if your'e lucky!

Feel free to correct me, i'm not an excpert, but i hope someone will find this useful..
    Posted by: Mr_Heretik

Re: sparring tactics - 05/11/06 12:57 AM

The "rising scoop block"...yeah you all know exactly what I'm talking about. I hate that thing...
    Posted by: ChronicGMV

Re: sparring tactics - 05/18/06 11:27 PM

(Assuming you're fighting with your left leg in front) Leap forward and jam his hand with your left forearm as you punch with the right(reverse punch?).

Another I like is a backleg mawashigeri(sp?) followed by a back kick.

I find a spinning back kick is an awesome counter-attack for a back legged mawashigeri.

Bleh. Too lazy to list anymore. :P
    Posted by: jliu

Re: sparring tactics - 05/19/06 05:49 PM

one tactic I use is to just mimic or imitate their every move...some people find it distracting/annoying, hence creating openings.

Another one i like is the fake low kick before switching it to a roundhouse kick to the head. pretty effective in the first round.
    Posted by: steelwater

Re: sparring tactics - 06/02/06 03:37 PM

One of my favorite tactics is throwing a sidekick, and if they block it, using the leg to literally push them back. You need to be very quick, or they may scoop your leg, but if you're fast enough, you'll throw them completely off balance. The key then is to pop in, but don't go for the attack. In my experience, in their desperation to regain balance, they'll rush forward with an attack. So you pop in and angle off quickly. Throw your attack then.
    Posted by: lineOfFire

Re: sparring tactics - 07/14/06 12:47 AM

back fist
    reverse punch
    round house
    side kick.... not in exact order.
    Bottom line... basics. Master the basics and everything else follows